• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Egg Boiling People

Eggs really have not gone up that much....

In 1965 you could get a few food items for close to $1, but for the most part, the things you'd need to buy cost quite a bit less. So fill your vintage shopping cart with these items:

• Gallon of milk: 95 cents
  • One regular size bottle of Heinz ketchup: 22 cents
  • One dozen eggs: 53 cents
  • One-ounce Hershey bar: 5 cents (Although the price remained the same, the size of the bar shrunk to 7/8 ounce in 1966 and 3/4 oz in 1968.)
  • Pillsbury cake mix: 25 cents
  • Pound of pork chops: $1.03
  • Pound of sirloin steak: 85 cents
  • Six-pack of Pepsi: 59 cents

oh boy...this returning is like that old Uncle showing up for Thanksgiving dinner every year wearing the bad and smelly sport coat and only bring a six pack of Schlitz for himself.  :)

I may have to call my buddy Larry and do a "true" experiment on this egg poking like we did on the potato peeling.  I called old Larry and he's busy right now but may come over later.  Photo attached:

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

Sorry if it has been answered in the last 17 pages, however, do you poke all the way thru the air sac and membrane or stop short of piercing the membrane?

Leave the push pin where it belongs...in the bulletin board.

Edited by LMITOUT

My summation: 

• Buried tack all the way
  • Placed 6 cold poked eggs in pan
  • filled pan with cold water to a level 1 inch above eggs
  • brought water to boil
  • once boiling set timer for 1 minute
  • after 1 minute, turned burner off and covered for 12 minutes
  • after 12 minutes, rinsed with cold water
  • on second rinse, added a couple pieces of ice
  • once cooled tried the shake eggs in water bath w/ 3 of them and also shell removal by hand for remaining 3
  • all turned out not worthy of smoking or making deviled eggs that look like they were not used as hackey sacks
  • Egg yolks did look fine so assuming cooking time was sufficient
  • WHAT GIVES?

May poke and add oil next time?

I'm not hacking on the concept but have experienced similar results.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  There are other factors that contribute also and I don't know what all of them are.  Age of eggs, cooling down right, how long to cook?  I don't think poking hurts but it isn't the answer to everything.

My wife just cooks em and peels em and I've never seen her have a problem.

lol,  maybe I should have you all over here and watch...  

Poke egg

Bring water to boil

put eggs in for about 9 minutes

take off burner and let sit about 9 minutes

dump water off and rinse 3 times with cold water and then leave in water in pan

crack shell on counter, roll a bit and peel

I gotta do another 10 today. :)

Although there isn't a single pushpin mentioned, I am a sucker for someone who uses a scientific method when tackling a problem. I'll be giving this a shot. Go right to 2:10.

No pins, no bowls, no additives to the water. Just a put them in an already-hot pot with a bit of water and a steam basket for 10-12 minutes, pop them into an ice water bath, and peel away! Results to come.

I envision the egg first but it got broken by the tree that fell in the forest that nobody was there to hear.

what about pistachios?  Everyone loves em but if you end up with one that doesn't have that crack already in it you're screwed.  Also, they used to be pink, stained your hands terrible.  This is an evolving nut and we need answers.

piece ahhhh  cake.  smoking these saturday. 

eggs test.jpg

I envision the egg first but it got broken by the tree that fell in the forest that nobody was there to hear.

what about pistachios?  Everyone loves em but if you end up with one that doesn't have that crack already in it you're screwed.  Also, they used to be pink, stained your hands terrible.  This is an evolving nut and we need answers.

agree totally.  sick and tired of grabbing the pliers for those rebels!