• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Egg Boiling People

I'll chip in a shiny new quarter if you do it reb!!!

I'll PM ya my address, lbbg!!! :grin:   Hokay! I did it!!  Here it is....even managed to do one piece..

41 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

2 pcs???, I'll give you a dollar if you can.;)

Boy, I'm gonna be rich!!! How much for the ONE PIECES??? :D

Edited by RebelSS

2 hours ago, brosnt1 said:

RebelSS is correct. You need older eggs for deviled eggs, fresher eggs for poached

He's right, actually....the white stays together better in simmering water with a very fresh egg and won't separate.  I just know if you're going to PEEL them, I was taught do NOT use fresh....many years ago. My buddy of 35 years, a chef, also pounded that into me.     WAY TO GO PONIES!!! TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!  YES!! :grin:        Whoops, I slipped there... :crazy:

I just did some looking into some good cookbooks, and found this:

If done correctly the boiled egg is one of the simplest ways to cook an egg. Since it may be difficult to peel extremely fresh eggs, boiled eggs are best with eggs that have already spent a few days in the refrigerator. See below for a comparison of boiled egg to 'sous vide egg'.

Why are peeling fresh eggs shells so difficult?

With eggs that are just a day or two old, the membrane beneath the shell sticks tightly to the shell making peeling the egg almost impossible. After a few days in the refrigerator the egg becomes easier to peel. Why is this? In fresh eggs the albumen sticks to the inner shell membrane more strongly than it sticks to itself because of the more acidic environment of the egg. The white of a freshly laid egg has a pH between 7.6 and 7.9 and an opalescent (cloudy) appearance due to the presence of carbon dioxide. After the protective coat is washed off the egg shell the egg becomes porous and begins to absorb air and loose some carbon dioxide contained in the albumen. This reduces the acidity of the egg which causes (after several days in the refrigerator) the pH to increase to around 9.2. At higher pH the inner membrane does not stick as much to the albumen so the shell peels off easier. In addition, as the egg gets older it will shrink and the air space between the egg shell and the membrane will get larger.

Research shows that the reduced acidity helps with peeling. The tradeoff, however, is that in older eggs the yolk tends to move further from being centered. This happens because the white gets thinner and is less able to hold the yolk in place. The best compromise is to use eggs that have been stored on their sides in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.

Edited by RebelSS

31 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I liked the video Reb.  Excellent work.

Carolina is kicking rear.  They remind me of the Rams when Warner was the QB.

Thanks LL!  Ya, I'm watching my fav QB (NOT)  CAM kick the birdies. I've got a bet with my cuz on the SB, Ponies vs Kitties.  Looks like this is gonna be a rout.....:angry:

28 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

GOOD GOD, who and the he!! Pays someone to research this, buy the eggs and cook away. .

LOL   I just found THIS too......I look at it as whatever works for ya, go for it!  It's just an egg!  :)

Why do eggs crack? How can I prevent eggs from cracking while boiling?

The bottom, rounded end of an egg contains a small air bubble. As the egg heats up, the air inside the bubble expands. As the hot air pushes outwards, it puts pressure onto the shell, making it crack. You can prevent this by poking a hole with a pin in the bottom rounded end of the egg. This will let the expanding air escape.

I'll throw in a bonus couple I also know:

If you put a few grains of dry rice in your saltshaker, it won't stick together in humid weather.

Throw some Ginger in your baked beans and ya won't fart.

Image result for smiley emoticon

Edited by RebelSS

30 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

GOOD GOD, who and the he!! Pays someone to research this, buy the eggs and cook away. .

now I know the ph of an egg.  Next Fall when I'm trying to whack a big buck I will know that he doesn't know the ph of an egg.  Obviously, me being smarter than him will seal the deal :)

I just want my eggs to peel right!  Did I mention I've used a push pin when I remember?!  Usually after the white oozes out.  No more egg video testing for me though. Got 'er down pat. How about them Broncos? :lol:

Edited by RebelSS

I watched a TV show the other nite, that showed how they get the insides out of an OSTRICH egg, to make a giant ostrich omelet. Egg shells (whole) sell for $10-15 for arts and crafts, so they use a drill to cut through the bottom, then use a pump to suck the egg out. Makes a helluva huge omelet!  The shell is about 2-3 mm thick...

Edited by RebelSS

Food safety precaution: Piercing shells before cooking is not recommended. If not sterile, the piercer or needle can introduce bacteria into the egg. Also, piercing creates hairline cracks in the shell, through which bacteria can enter after cooking.

:D

10 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

peeling 6

had to try a video to try and win the quarters lol.  did 6 in 34 seconds so I didnt win.  bummer ! !  Pressure of being filmed. . small scar on one so I guess I better add on a 2 second penalty. :)   

You were in the wrong contest....you had more than one or two pieces! That's what I was going for, not speed. Nya nya! :grin:  With my paws, just hanging onto the eggs was tough. RA will do that to ya. Say...maybe we could tag team!  Have an "eggstravaganza! Watch us "peel out!"   highfive.gif?w=580

Good vid, though...you ARE fast! Where was that referee pooch? 

Edited by RebelSS