• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Egg Boiling People

***EGG ALERT***!!!!!!

Good heavens!! From the Queen of Cooking....!!!!  Go to 27:00 mns of this video....watch to 28:00...eyeguy, you better be sitting down! You'll love it!! Julia's NEVER wrong!!!! :grin:

Edited by RebelSS

I am honored today to receive this award.  I would like to thank my family fist off for putting up with the jobs they have to support my endless egg purchasing so I can pursue this addiction. Secondly, I would like to thank Rick at HSO for developing a fantastic fishing and hunting ssite where we can all learn how to properly make hard boiled eggs. And last but not least, a big thank you to all of those chickens out there doing their daily laying. 

I learned an interesting thing on TV the other day that I had not known. Which for those that devil or poach eggs may be interested in. We all know to look at the sell by date to make sure we aren't buying eggs that will expired in the next couple of days, but there is another number on the carton that tells you when the eggs were placed in the carton. It's the Julian date on the carton. In the attachment it is the number 020 before the "Sell", so these eggs were put in the carton on the 20th of January 2016. I like it!

image.jpeg

Between that, and floating your eggs, I'll  be able to make sure they're fresh!!!  :grin:

Fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat.

Edited by RebelSS

Have some more fodder for the wars, courtesy of Cooks illustrate/ america test kitchen.

You no longer need to fear the drudgery of peeling hard-cooked eggs—with the right cooking method, the shells practically fly off.
detail_SFS_easy_to_peel_hard_cooked_eggs
Get the RecipeEasy-Peel Hard-Cooked Eggs

What Success Would Look Like

• Tender Whites, Uniformly Opaque Yolks

• Easy-to-Peel Shells for Smooth, Blemish-Free Whites

• Foolproof Method

Could the key to success really be as simple as choosing the proper eggs to cook?

The test kitchen has a sure-fire method for producing perfect hard-cooked eggs: Put the eggs in a saucepan, cover them with an inch of cold water, bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, let the eggs sit off the heat in the cooling water for 10 minutes, and then transfer them to an ice bath for 5 minutes before peeling. You’ll get tender whites and uniformly opaque (but not chalky) yolks every time.

But eggs cooked this way can be difficult to peel—a problem that has more to do with the membrane that lines the shell than with the shell itself. When that membrane cements itself to the egg, it must be painstakingly peeled away and often takes pieces of the white with it, leaving an unappealingly pitted exterior—an unacceptable result when you need flawless eggs for deviled eggs or garnishing a salad.

In early 2013 we published our method for making soft-cooked eggs: placing the cold eggs directly into steam for 6.5 minutes. It worked well, and as a bonus the eggs were easy to peel. This soft-cooked egg method became very popular through the magazine, TV show, and social media, and folks started to wonder: What happens if you extend the cooking time for hard-cooked eggs? (We were wondering the same thing, and were testing it ourselves.)

The Impact of Age

“Fresh eggs are harder to peel than older eggs.” This piece of conventional wisdom seemed like the natural place to start my testing. Could the key to success really be as simple as choosing the proper eggs to cook?

Here’s the science behind the claim: The white in a fresh egg is slightly alkaline. As the egg ages, the white becomes more alkaline as the dissolved carbon dioxide (a weak acid) it contains dissipates—and the more alkaline the white, the easier it is to peel when cooked. Why? Because the higher alkalinity causes the egg white proteins to bond to each other, not to the membrane directly under the shell. That’s the theory, anyway.

To test it, I used our foolproof method to cook 18 fresh and 18 month-old eggs, peeling them all right after they’d cooled. As expected, many of the fresh eggs were difficult to peel, and a few were downright impossible. But the older eggs weren’t a guarantee for easy peeling either—some were actually quite difficult—so I moved on.

Environmental Influences

Having exhausted my options in terms of ingredients (there was only one), I moved on to the cooking method. Our foolproof approach makes it impossible to overcook the eggs, but if another method would make peeling easier, I was willing to branch out.

I compared five methods—our foolproof method, boiling in already-boiling water, steaming in a pressure cooker, steaming over boiling water, and baking—cooking 10 eggs each way and peeling them all right after cooling them in a 5-minute ice bath.

I graded each method from A to F: If most of the eggs cooked a certain way peeled easily, the method got an A. If the shell clung stubbornly to most of the eggs, forcing me to tear the whites, it received a lesser grade.

The foolproof and baking methods produced eggs that were challenging to peel; they each scored a C (but unlike the nicely cooked foolproof eggs, the baked ones sported green rings around their yolks). The pressure-cooked eggs were nicely cooked, and the method earned a B. But the steaming and boiling methods both earned an A. Their shells slipped off to reveal perfectly smooth whites. What made them (and the pressure-cooked eggs) succeed?

A Report Card on Peelability

We compared five methods, cooking 10 eggs per method and peeling them all after letting them cool for 5 minutes in an ice bath. We then assigned a grade to each method based on the condition of the peeled eggs. Our takeaway: The steaming and boiling methods both earned an A, as nine of the 10 peeled eggs cooked each way were flawlessly smooth.

landscape_hero_mobile_Chart-01.jpg

Peeling Away the Answer

Plunging raw eggs into boiling water (or hot steam) rapidly denatures the outermost proteins of the white, which reduces their ability to bond with the membrane.

The only real common denominator of the boiled and steamed eggs was that both went directly into a hot environment, whereas eggs cooked by our foolproof method started out cold and warmed up slowly as the water came up to a boil. The baked eggs also qualified as using a cold start because the oven’s air is a slow and inefficient conductor of energy.

Our science editor explained what was happening: Plunging raw eggs into boiling water (or hot steam) rapidly denatures the outermost proteins of the white, which reduces their ability to bond with the membrane. Plus, those rapidly denaturing proteins shrink as they start to bond together, and that causes the white to pull away from the membrane. Thus, these eggs are easy to peel. (The pressure-cooked eggs are a unique case: Though they start out in cold water, the water gets hot very rapidly and can reach as high as 250 degrees, which likely causes additional shrinkage of the proteins, making the eggs easy to peel.) Conversely, proteins that rise in temperature slowly, as in the eggs started in cold water or baked in the oven, have more time to bond to the membrane before they bond with each other, so the membrane is difficult to remove.

Science: Blame the Membrane

Most cooks assume that when an egg is difficult to peel, it’s because the shell is sticking to the egg white. But it’s the membrane between the shell and the white that’s really the problem. When an egg is very fresh or when it’s cooked slowly, the proteins in the white bond to the membrane instead of to one another, and the membrane becomes cemented to the white and impossible to peel away. The solution: Plunging the eggs directly into hot steam, which causes the egg white proteins to denature and shrink, reducing their ability to bond with the ­membrane.

Full Steam Ahead

As for which hot-start method it would be—steaming or boiling—I had an idea. When I developed a recipe for Soft-Cooked Eggs, I determined that steaming was a superior method to boiling because adding eggs to a pot of boiling water lowers the temperature of the water, making it hard to nail down a precise cooking time that will give you dependable results every time. Eggs that steam in a steamer basket, on the other hand, don’t touch the water, which means they don’t lower the water temperature, so the same cooking time produces consistently perfect results. Plus, steaming is faster because there’s less water to bring to a boil.

To prove the point, I compared the two methods: I filled one saucepan with water, brought the water to a boil, carefully lowered six eggs into the water, covered the pot, and then turned down the heat slightly so the eggs wouldn’t jostle and break. In another saucepan, I brought 1 inch of water to a boil and then placed a steamer basket loaded with six eggs into it before covering the pot. After 13 minutes (which a few tests showed was ideal), I transferred all the eggs to an ice bath and chilled them for 15 minutes.

Sure enough, I preferred the texture of the steamed eggs. Their yolks were uniformly cooked but not chalky, while the yolks of the boiled eggs were just a tiny bit translucent at the center, just a bit undercooked—likely due to a temporary dip in temperature when the cold eggs went in.

Peel Six Eggs in 41 Seconds!

Combined with our hot-start cooking method, this novel approach to peeling is so efficient that the shells slip right off: Instead of preparing the ice bath in a bowl, use a plastic container with tight-fitting lid. Once the eggs are chilled, pour off half of the water and, holding the lid in place, shake the container vigorously using a vertical motion (the eggs will hit the top of the container) until the shells are cracked all over, about 40 shakes. Peel, rinse, and use as desired. Combined with our hot-start cooking method, this novel approach to peeling is so efficient that the shells slip right off: Instead of preparing the ice bath in a bowl, use a plastic container with tight-fitting lid. Once the eggs are chilled, pour off half of the water and, holding the lid in place, shake the container vigorously using a vertical motion (the eggs will hit the top of the container) until the shells are cracked all over, about 40 shakes. Peel, rinse, and use as desired.  

I had one last challenge: Would my steaming method make even notoriously difficult fresh eggs easy to peel? Indeed it did. I was able to peel six eggs in just over 2 minutes. (When I used a novel method of enclosing eggs in a plastic container with water and shaking them vigorously, I cut that time to mere seconds.)

I was so pleased that I decided to showcase the eggs’ beautifully smooth exteriors by making deviled eggs. The test kitchen already has a recipe for the classic version, so I created a few new approaches: curry, bacon-chive, and chipotle pepper with pickled radishes. Thanks to my new cooking method, throwing these together couldn’t have been easier.

Keys to Success

• Tender Whites, Uniformly Opaque Yolks

Steaming, rather than boiling, the eggs doesn’t lower the temperature of the water, so they will cook evenly every time. Immediately transferring them to an ice bath for 15 minutes prevents them from overcooking in their retained heat.
  • Easy-to-Peel Shells for Smooth, Blemish-Free Whites

Starting the eggs in hot, rather than cold, water causes the whites’ proteins to seize and bond together, preventing them from sticking to the shell membrane so that the peel slips right off.
  • Foolproof Method

The hot-start method works whether you’re using fresh or older eggs, and steaming allows you to cook as may as 12 eggs at one time as long as they sit in a single layer in the pot.

Why This Recipe Works

Boiled eggs that start in cold water are hard to peel because the proteins in the egg white set slowly, which gives them time to fuse to the surrounding membrane. When you try to remove the shell, parts of the white cling to the membrane, and the surface of the egg is unattractively pockmarked. Instead of a cold-water start, we place cold eggs directly into hot steam, which rapidly denatures the outermost egg white proteins, causing them to form a solid gel that shrinks and pulls away from the membrane. The shell slips off easily to reveal smooth, unblemished hard-cooked eggs.

shopping list
6 large eggs

instructionsMakes 6 eggs

Be sure to use large eggs that have no cracks and are cold from the refrigerator. If you don’t have a steamer basket, use a spoon or tongs to gently place the eggs in the water. It does not matter if the eggs are above the water or partially submerged. You can use this method for fewer than six eggs without altering the timing. You can also double this recipe as long as you use a pot and steamer basket large enough to hold the eggs in a single layer. There’s no need to peel the eggs right away. They can be stored in their shells and peeled when needed.

1. Bring 1 inch water to rolling boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Place eggs in steamer basket. Transfer basket to saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook eggs for 13 minutes.

2. When eggs are almost finished cooking, combine 2 cups ice cubes and 2 cups cold water in medium bowl. Using tongs or spoon, transfer eggs to ice bath; let sit for 15 minutes. Peel before using.