• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas mileage

Why is it that every post in every forum in HSO everyone has to criticize and second guess and question every time someone answers a question or posts a picture etc. on an experience they have had with something? Is everyone just jealous of others or what? I did not say it happens every time. When I drive to the big lakes I take the back roads and do not speed. Pulling a large trlr at high speeds you are just asking for trouble. I drive btwn 50 to 60 TOPS!

I maintain my trlrs and vehicles very well and you can and will get good gas mileage if you do this and take it easy. I also noticed that everyone that does not believe that it happened is from the south part of the state. Where they are probably driving like heck to get there as fast as they can!! Believe what you want say what you want. All I know is that I will have more money to spend on future trips. Good bye and everyone have a great ice fishing season and be safe. smile

I'd like to pull one with the tundra just to see what it would get.

Whether I'm loaded down with all of our week long camping gear and a boat or just pulling the boat for a day trip I get right around 15 MPG in the summer. In the winter it drops to 13-14 mpg with just the boat (don't ask me how I know this!). Last time we went up to Mille Lacs for the weekend we drove into a 30mph headwind. I barely made 9mpg.

Speed has a lot to do with mpg's. I made a trip to URL in less then 4 hours from cottage grove once. 6-7 mpg. On the way home pulling the same trailer loaded doing the speed limit or close to it 12mpg.

Perfect scenario for time is money. Saved an hour but paid twice as much for gas.

FWIW fellas ran my 2013 Tahoe, loaded, at precisely 65 mph from FFM to FAR and was reading 20-22 most of the time. But ofcourse many won't be driving that slowly. This was on CC and is only offered to show the variations.

OTOH the old 560SEL at 145mpg shows about 6mpg. But who has time to loo eh? LOL

I did not say it happens every time. When I drive to the big lakes I take the back roads and do not speed. Pulling a large trlr at high speeds you are just asking for trouble. I drive btwn 50 to 60 TOPS!

A lot of guys have driven a lot of trucks and pulled a lot of well maintained trailers. Most know the magic number is around 10 mpg's give or take for gas motors. If you are claiming 13 mpg's + on a regular basis pulling trailers, most guys have been around enough to know that's not a "regular" occurrence. I have a 1995 3/4 ton suburban with a 6.5l diesel, with some upgrades. It has 355,000 miles on it. Once we got 20 mpg's going to pick up a samurai east of Chicago. It had a pin hole leak in the radiator and was over heating. We kept the heat on in 90 degree weather and drove 50 mph the hole way back. That stunk big time! Have talked to a lot of people who know more than I do and the slight over heating and the low, steady rpm's is what got the 20 mpg. Number one, I ain't ever driving with the heat on in 90 degree weather again umless I have to. Number 2, most guys would pull their hair out going on a fishing trip, back roading it, doing 50 mph the whole way. I average 12 mpg's towing stuff doing 70 ish. If I drop the rpm's and keep her around 55-60 mph it can squeak out 13-14 mpg, depending on the winds. I go off a 3-4 tank average vs a best tank, with a 30 mph tail wind.

I'd be curious to know your 3-4 tank average on paper towing trailers? If you are above 13 mpg's, I'd guess it all has to do with your driving habits, more than the truck being that great on gas.

You ever drive into Canada to do some fishing? 80kmh = 50mph. Makes for a long drive but worth it!

Have been to Canada on some back in the boonies fishing trips. It's amazing when you keep the rpm's way down how good the mpg's are. I am not a lead foot, but keeping it below 1,700 rpm's on a lot of vehicles depending on trannies and rear ends, is a tough deal when you want to get somewhere.

Buddy #1 02 Burb, 2050 crestliner Sportfish, 65 mph, 16-18mpg

Buddy #2 05 Avalanche 1850 Sportfish, 65 mph, 18 mpg

Me 03 Burb, 2050 Sportfish, 65 mph, ( can't handle it faster than that) 13 mpg

Me 05 2500HD Chev PU, same boat, 70+ when I can, 11 mpg

I guess some people still use the new math I heard about years ago.

HTB

I have an 02 F150 with a 5.4L, empty I am lucky to get 17-19, and that is driving 62, with the wind, highway driving, in the summer.

Normal driving I get about 16mpg empty. Pulling my 18' boat, I get about 12. Pulling my 28' enclosed trailer with 7 foot inside walls, 7 fullsize 4wheelers in it, about 4mpg doing 70mph. My truck doesnt like that trailer very well.

So for those of you getting 20 pulling heavy stuff, if you are actually getting that, be grateful, you arent the norm.

So for those of you getting 20 pulling heavy stuff, if you are actually getting that, be grateful, you arent the norm.

the other thing to consider here is, since were talking about pulling our ice houses. Towing in the winter means winter blended fuel and we all know what that does to our mileage.

I bought a 2013 F150 5.0 2800 miles now. when it was warm out had a hard time holding 15 now that its cold its hard to hold 13. thats according the average on the dash, and I dont drive it that hard and not pulling anything and nothing in the bed. I get better in the city than highway.Dont get it.

It really takes a while for a new vehicle to break in and loosen up. Give it some time.

Also note driving condition, do you let it idle to warm up or do you get in start it and take off? are the roads you drive on hilly, flat? have you tried filling up with 100% of a different fuel.

Side note, from fords web site: 5.0L 4x4 14city, 19 highway.

Something I am still trying to figure out. 2011 TDI Jetta, I can get better fuel economy in the winter then in the summer. (highway driving)

Our Jetta average is down to 45 now that winter is here.

I had a '98 Ford Ranger with the 4.nothing that was averaging 15-17 mpg on the highway. I put a 700 lb. ATV in the back and I was getting 20 mpg. This same truck also burned 3/4 tank towing a 1200 lb boat/motor/trailer 35 miles up 169. crazy

A little more info for everybody comparing two different trucks.

I have a 2013 1500 Chevy with the 5.3 liter V8, my Dad has a 2012 F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Pulling my 6x16 Yetti both trucks get 10-10.5 mpg combined average driving of towns, highways, freeways [up to 65 mph max]

05 Nissan Titan, 8x18 Ice castle, 55 to 60 mph, 15-17mpg.

I have a 05 Nissan titan and I can tell you that I have NEVER gotten better then 15mpg unloaded. when I'm pulling big loads I get 12-13mpg which is normal for unloaded. the only time I got 15mpg is when we drove to florida on cruise control not touching the brake for 300 miles. The truck doesn't drop much at all towing but the bad thing is the mileage sucks all the time!!