• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is Popeye's chicken better then QFC?

Hugonian...

We worked on several of the Krispy kremes also. The project manager used us often when he was with the Nath companies (BK) and then for many of the Krispy Kreme stores. Boy, they did not last long!

Good luck!

Ken

Prime example of how to oversaturate a market... they needed to stick with their distribution model, or point of sale model. Managing both seems to have done them in.

Could get boring in here real quick if I start to discuss what I think they may have done wrong with their market analysis... but yeah.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College food service owns it and runs it, so I am told
I managed that project. The Coffman Union Chik-fil-A was the first in Minnesota. It was run by University Dining Services, but I haven't been involved since it opened in 2003.

I'm not sure that Popeyes will be over-saturating anything since they are only taking over existing KFC shops. A recent article stated that Popeyes is moving forwards with opening most of the stores, but it is rolling them out slowly. I'm not sure if they are only using one contractor to do all of the stores, but there seemed to be a roll out plan...one-by-one.

I'm not sure that Popeyes will be over-saturating anything since they are only taking over existing KFC shops. A recent article stated that Popeyes is moving forwards with opening most of the stores, but it is rolling them out slowly. I'm not sure if they are only using one contractor to do all of the stores, but there seemed to be a roll out plan...one-by-one.

Heh, they wont have an oversaturation problem unless they start distributing their chicken in Target stores and gas stations like KK did with their doughnuts smile

I am pretty happy to hear they're expanding the market. Used to eat at the one on Lake St whenever I did an estimate at the body shop across the way there.

Popeyes is way better all the way around from the chicken and the sides, no comparison. KFC gravy comes out of a can, enough said.

Boy even though I startd this thread. I just went out and tied my first taste of Popeye's at the new one that just opened up and I will have to say. I just don't get what all the hoopla is about? I'm not sure it's any better then KFC and to tell you the truth. I like Cub's chicken better then both of them! And it's way cheaper! Popeye's is $11.99 for an 8 peice and Cub is like $7.99. shocked

At one time KFC was pretty much the only play if you wanted chicken to go. Mighty tasty stuff at that. Now, To Go chicken is everywhere that is just as good and a whole lot less expensive. KFC should have never gotten rid of the great burgers they sold when i was a kid. I think Popeyes will get an initial boom in this market as people go to check it out. But unless they really do something different, I'm afaid it will meet the fame fate as KFC.

I gotta say some of the best chicken I've had is from the Pizza place on the Ranch. To the point I call the place Chicken Ranch. I believe it is Broasted with an awesome coating on it gotta add a dash of their BBQ sauce and that's it for me.

Good point about Grocery store Chicken. We have a Coburns where I'm at and the Fried Chicken out of their deli counter is better than both Popeyes and KFC--AND CHEAP!. Also, the ONLY reason to go to Pizza Ranch is their chicken IMO. Plenty of better options around for Za.

I read in USA today that KFC is going to start selling and heavily promote boneless chicken. The president of KFC for the last 2 years came to KFC from McDonalds. "As early as next year, the majority of chicken sold at KFC will be boneless".

The KFC in Cottage Grove became a Famous Daves... It seems the KFCs are now few and far between. Kind of like when all the Hardees closed down a decade ago.

The KFC potpies are very good... been a couple of years since I had one, but used to stop once a month or so for one when I worked by a KFC..

Good Luck!

Ken

Funny you should mention that. The first part of my working career was with Hardees which started in high school and then through college and then I was a training manager for them where I would go to new stores or acquired stores and train the crews to the company standards.

Well, in something like 1991 or 92 I got wind that Hardee's was buying the Roy Rodgers chicken franchise and was going to bring fried chicken into every store. After hearing the corporate sales pitch to the franchisee's I knew that I was going to quit because they were proposing a disaster. The corporate guys told us that it would be a 50k renovation and that we could expect an additional 200-250k in sales a year on average with the addition and that they would be able to shut down most of the KFC's in the competing areas. Not being one to play the game I told them their projections seemed excessively rosy. But in the end I took the job of coming in and setting up the restaurants, training the crews and rolling out the product in my district because I knew that was the only way I would ever stick around. As expected the sales increased modestly buy sales shifted from the core products to chicken initially and then tailed off because the company didn't do enough to drive sales or think through the whole integration process so it became an inefficient burden.And I quit. A decade later they were pretty much all gone but KFC was still around..... Stick to what you know and do best....

I did a lot of work on Hardees restaurants a little more than a decade ago. They were rehabbing almost all their stores here in the greater metro area and we came in to do the final landscape work. Not sure if they were all franchisees or corporate owned. I always worked through the general who was doning all the restaurants. They Spent some pretty hefty dollars only to watch them capsize one by one over the next 5 or so years.

There is still one in Baldwin WI. I can honestly say their food is better than it used to be. Their Ham and Cheese sammies have always been fantastic, and reamin so, their burgers now are actually pretty good. Like all fast food it is over priced, but it is much closer to a real burger than the other fast food chains.

Did the Hardees chicken ever make it to MN? I don't recall them serving chicken.

I grew up near Le Sueur MN and their Hardee's got the Fried Chicken in the early 90's. I remember eating it but can't remember if it was good. I guess if it WAS truly memorable it still might be a Hardee's in that location and not a Pizza Raunch. laugh