• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I even find a good handgun right now?

I'm waiting on getting my permit to purchase a handgun right now. It should be here this week. I've never purchased a handgun before (I have plenty of rifles and shotguns) and I haven't done any shopping yet. I've done some research and I've decided to get a .40 glock or springfield. Can you even find these in stores anymore? I've been inside cabelas and gander mt. a few times in the last few months but the gun counters are always so busy I don't even bother waiting to ask questions or to see what they have in stock. Where else would anyone recommend looking in the metro area?

Yeah, there are still plenty available. Not many black guns though.

Can check FF, or Bills Gun Shop. They had a bunch of Glocks and Springfields in Hudson, but you'll need to buy it in MN.

Also, don't just get something based on reviews. Make sure you get one that feels good in your hand. You'll never shoot well with an uncomfortable gun.

Yea it sucks many places are sold out of several models and prices are high right now. I know the Springfield I wanted and should have purchased a few months ago is up around $100 everywhere I have looked. Unfortunately the demand and prices will probably only get worse.

Good luck finding a Glock, although you might get lucky if you're looking for a .40. You practically have to be standing there when they come off the delivery truck if you want to get something right now, or just happen to be in the right place at the right time. They aren't collecting dust on the shelves right now that's for sure.

If a .40 glock is easier to find, what's hard to find right now? a .45 or 9mm?

I know at the big C in Owatonna, they were out of all .45's and .9mm's (black guns). As soon as they come in they are gone...and I mean almost within minutes. There were still a couple .40's left. One reason that people aren't getting the .40's is because of the price of ammo. I guess on the flip side of that argument is that there still is ammo that you can find for them.

Neither IMO.

When I was at Bills they had probably 25 glocks of various models and probably about 15 XDs and XDms

Was that before Christmas? lol

I've been persistent in looking for a 9mm and found nothing but one G26 in the last month and a half. Everybody I speak to laughs when asked about a 9mm and one guy said he wish he could get a truckload because he thinks he could sell every one.

A shop I check often got one last week. One. The first one in the last 6 weeks. The other Glocks they got were of the not so desirable variety, i.e. not 9's or 45's.

Was that before Christmas? lol

Nope, about 2 weeks ago. Who knows, maybe it just happened to be when they got a bunch. I wasn't in the market anyways, just looking while waiting for some lanes to open up. Wouldn't hurt to go online to someplace like AIM surplus and get your email on the notification for when they get some.

I went to Scheels in Sioux Falls yesterday. The Glock cage is still empty. I went to Cabelas in Mitchell tonight, and they had all sorts of pistols, including at least a half dozen used Glocks.

If you look around, you'll find one.

I'd make it a point to visit the gun counter when it's not busy (i.e. a weekday, not during lunch, or after work). Ask them when their shipments arrive. Ask someone if they'd be willing to call you when they get something in.

The Minnesota Weapons Collectors Association is hosting its next show at the State Fair Coliseum on March 16-17. The last time I went to this show I was able to purchase a very hard to find 9mm. There were a few dealers that received shipments of this particular pistol to be sold at the show. I also thought the price was very good, however that was a few years ago. I met a few licensed dealers that do not operate a store and they save inventory over time and only sell at shows. The MWCA HSOforum has a list of all the upcoming shows. Good luck with your search.

From my travels finding the pistol isn't the hard part. Ammunition, well, that's another story. There is some but if any it's usually only a few boxes here and there of the real expensive stuff.

Also, you can go to Bills and rent a gun from them to try for yourself on their shooting range.

I stopped by Scheels in Kato and found 3 G22 Gen 3. Gander had one G22 Gen 3 and one 22c. I also noticed that Gander is $50 higher than Scheels.

Flip side is Gander had far more ammo for the .40.

I left both stores empty handed but the crowd was overwhelming. There were 4 guys at the counter in Gander and shortly after I walked in there was 30 swarming around the counter.

I stopped by Scheels in Kato and found 3 G22 Gen 3. Gander had one G22 Gen 3 and one 22c. I also noticed that Gander is $50 higher than Scheels.

Flip side is Gander had far more ammo for the .40.

I left both stores empty handed but the crowd was overwhelming. There were 4 guys at the counter in Gander and shortly after I walked in there was 30 swarming around the counter.

Speaking of Kato, there is a Gun show down there this weekend. Gun shows are still a good place to find new and used hand guns, um for now! whistle

Fleet Farm has lots of Springfield XD's and XDm's. (Where I live, anyway) I bought my XDm last summer, .40 cal 3.8. Out of the box at 7 yds, easy 3" groups rapid fire first time shooting. Terrific gun, I love it. Just picked up a S&W Shield .40 3 weeks ago, picked up my buddy's yday. Fleet Farm also has Ruger LC-9's...picked one up there this Fall. Springfields seem the easiest to get; Shield's are next to impossible unless you want a .40 cal, which is what I shoot. I grabbed mine at Gander for $439. If you want one for CC, the XDm is a bit big for that, and I prefer and shoot larger frame guns. Shield is just right, LC-9 is a sweetie to tuck away, if you can get used to the mile and a half trigger pull and reset. Mine's going in next week for a little "modification".