• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black gun ban?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is it will happen very soon. I saw Dianne Feinstein's press conference last night and she said that her bill is drafted that would put all AR style rifles, including those already sold and held privately, under the NFA laws, which are the same laws that govern automatic weapons, short barreled firearms, and destructive devices, such as rocket launchers. This legislation would include registry of all such firearms, which would also most likely mean some sort of tax stamp required as is the case with current NFA weapons. She also stated that she would like to have a meaningful conversation, but is hoping for a vote before the next legislative session in the first week of January. I'm afraid us law abiding firearm owners will lose this round.

Seems to me this assualt rifle bill will pass with no issues. There is going to be too much pressure on the elected clowns. I believe at a minimum, the larger capacity clips will go for sure.

I would like to ask them in a group, Columbine, I believe, had no assualt rifles so how will this help??

New, feel good law even if they have to break part on the Constitution.

I don't know what's going to happen either. I do think the high capacity clips will most definitely be eliminated. The black rifles may go with them. At some point there has to be a compromise. I am pretty torn on the issue, see both sides pretty clearly. I don't like giving up any gun rights, at the same time, I don't know why a sportsman would need high capacity clips or assault rifles. Where I get very skittish and concerned is when they talk about semi-automatics, most non-gun owners have no idea what the difference is between a full auto and semi-auto, they think they are the same.

If it is any consolation one of the bills scheduled to be introduced itemizes the weapons they wish to ban BY NAME and model. My guess is the sporting rifles most of us own and use will NOT be named in that bill and if they are someone will see they are removed pretty quickly. Most sportsmen share your concerns and also your sense that it is time to cool some of this fascination with military style weapons and all they imply. If reasonable gun owners-and thats most of us- are not willing to give a little something 5-shot capacity mags and no more "special ops) style military looking weapons then this battle is going to get very ugl and the NRA spokesmen may lose more for you than you want to give up.

Compromise/divide and conquer is their strategy. After they they get rid of the evil rifles and handguns they will be coming for your pump shotgun!

Legislation has been proposed in Minnesota to ban pump shotguns, I looked up the bill several years ago. The recent Colorado shooter had a Rem 870 pump and 300 shells!

We need to support all legal firearms and as a group turn the focus on the root of the problem.

what is the difference between a semi auto deer rifle and an AR other than what it looks like?

Other than the available 30 rd clip-none. Plus, the standard AR .223 round is much smaller than most every deer round.

But the .223 caliber is a legal ( not a great choice here ) caliber for deer hunting. Do I feel the need for a 150 round beta drum mag for my AR 15? No. Do I think there is a practical for one? NO. Do I think it should be outlawed? NO!!!

If I use my AR for hunting, I take the 20 round and 9 round mag, not the thirty......why, it is heavy and bulky

Theoretically you could take a belt-fed full auto (with your permit) into the tree stand with you. Your limitation would be on the size of ammo box you want to carry; I forget what capacity of box is. Or a 60 round drum mag. Or a five round mag.

At present I am not aware of ANY limit. What you can carry?

there is no capacity limiy in mn, I use a 10 round in my AR. the reason I asked the question was a semi auto deer rifle functions no differently than an AR.

why should an AR be banned and not all semi autos?

Because they can get a bleeding heart vote against ARs. And because a lot of people think the 2nd was made to protect their hunting firearms. Don't worry though. The next time there's a mass murder by a guy with a hunting rifle (which will kill alot more people with 10 rds of 30-06 than 30 rds of 5.56) with a bunch of 10 rd mags and a couple 870s, they'll be crying to get those too. Typical Ignorant America though. Let's sacrifice the security of our country from invasion because of a couple tragedies. As RRR said

"From my cold dead hands."

I don't know what's going to happen either. I do think the high capacity clips will most definitely be eliminated. The black rifles may go with them. At some point there has to be a compromise. I am pretty torn on the issue, see both sides pretty clearly. I don't like giving up any gun rights, at the same time, I don't know why a sportsman would need high capacity clips or assault rifles. Where I get very skittish and concerned is when they talk about semi-automatics, most non-gun owners have no idea what the difference is between a full auto and semi-auto, they think they are the same.

agreed. I too see no reason for high capacity clips. Nor do I see a benefit for AR's. Also, 50 cal? do we really need people having the capability to shot down a helo at 1000 yrds?

I think the NRA needs to take a new stance on these issues along with gun auction lop-holes. Make it reasonable for people to accept us.

Oh- and have you noticed they don't use the word gun anymore one the news during these debates...they're called "killing machines!"-Thats enought to [PoorWordUsage] any gun holder off!

I don't like giving up any gun rights, at the same time, I don't know why a sportsman would need high capacity clips or assault rifles.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with being a sportsman or a hunter.

Lest you forget, many of us here enjoy shooting as a hobby, and some of us shoot competitively. Keep that in mind. The 30 round mags are not made for hunters, but hobbyists/competitive shooters sure as heck like them! A 3-gun match sure would be a bore with bolt guns or ten rd semi autos ... Now is not the time for us as like minded people to divide amongst ourselves. While you (collectively) as hunters may not see the need for larger capacity magazines or semi auto sporter rifles, it doesn't mean there is no need.

If you base your argument only on the 2nd amendment, then I get it. You want to be able to arm yourself to the hilt in case of invasion or protection for enemies foreign or domestic. I'm not going to argue about that, if I wanted to, I would post in silly town. I do see the points on both sides as I mentioned. As a sportsman, I just don't see the need for the assault rifles or high capacity clips. I am not against them, nor do I think they are evil. I am not going to lobby against them. I do believe that many sportsman share my sentiment. I don't have the numbers, for people that are for or against. I understand divide and conquer, but if a larger majority of gun owners don't feel the need for assault rifles, who is dividing who? Again, I don't think they are bad, I love guns, I have many, more than most I would say. I don't want to get into the same debate that has been going on in silly town, but I think regardless of how we feel, some concessions are going to have to be made, the refusal by some to accept that may/may not have a negative impact on the general publics perception of the gun owning group as whole.

Trigger, +1.

I too, do not want to see any gun banned. This country is more secure because of the how we are armed.

However, gun owners such as ourselves will have to conceed something here. I feel large capacity clips is a sure thing, and tighter restrictions on who can buy Handguns and black guns, is likely.

The second amendment will always keep arms in our hands, but like everything in the U.S., restrictions will apply, as they probably should!