• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keep your outdoor buddies

Wanderer

So for some this might seem to be a no brainer but for others it may have never even crossed your mind. So this is more of a PSA than anything. It recently came up in a conversation and there was a "Wait a minute, I haven't tought of that before" moment.

Here's the scenario:

You have either one or several buddies you hunt and fish with and often take long trips in and out of state. To be fair and share the wear and tear on vehicles you trade off taking each other's vehicles. You split the gas and other expenses of the trip evenly. Everything works smoothly for years until...

You hit a deer or have damage caused to the vehicle outside of the driver's control. Single vehicle so there's no one else responsible.

Do you split the cost of the damage or deductible or leave the responsibility to the owner figuring that's what insurance is for and it could have and may happen to you? Luck of the draw.

Agreeing to this ahead of time could save some bad feelings and keep your buddies, buddies. I was originally going to ask "What would you do?" but that's just asking for trouble; it's something private with you and your buds. smile

+1 Had this happen to me three years ago. Was on a fishing trip with 2 friends, I was driving. The others wanted to go to a lake that I objected to but they paid for the gas, long story short - deer ran into the front of my new truck, over $3500 damage, $500 deductable, plus fishing was not good. I was upset to say the least but I never asked or expected any money to help pay for the damages.

I wouldn't expect someone to pay me but if someone else drives and something goes wrong with a flat tire or trailer I always offer to pay a portion. Common courtesy kind of thing.

I guess the original post kind of says to have it worked out before something happens to avoid any conflict. As we can see hear we all have our differing thoughts.

I've asked a few others about this since I posted and am still finding a lot "Huh, good question" along with the comment "That could potentially end a friendship".

Here's what we've decided to do: Go to a zero deductible on your Comp insurance. I did this years ago after a deer ran into the side of my truck and caved in the door. It's not that much more expensive than having a deductible. The others have started checking into it on their own policies.

For what it's worth, we share costs for unusual circumstances such as tow truck to get unstuck but not stuff like blown tires or dead batteries.

IMO, if I lost a friend over something like that then they weren't a very good friend anyway. My vehicle is my problem, your vehicle is your problem. The only thing I ask is to split gas. I wouldn't expect anyone to fix my flat tire, why would a deer be any different? But depending on the situation I may offer to help, especially if I know they are having money issues, etc.. But I would never expect someone to help me or even mention it. I value my friendships a lot more than my money.

Let's flip this around. If you're in town (wherever town is) and a few friends hop in your car to go to the new hit movie, but you hit a deer/muffler/zombie, are you going to ask or expect them to pay for the damage then? Doubtful.

I'm in the it's your car, it's your unexpected responsibility. I would never think of asking or even expecting a passenger to help out...unless we were all broke college kids. As a passenger I might offer to pick up the rest of the gas for the trip or by the driver his popcorn/soda at the movies, but not the deductible. If he blows a tire I'm not paying for that either. You take on all of the risks when you agree to drive, unless you were forced to drive at gunpoint!

Never much thought about this question, my truck, my responsibility on the other hand if I am going fishing I am usually the one paying for the gas, if a friend asks me to go fishing then I expect him to kick in some gas money. Once we are on the water though I do not share the front seat. My boat, my payments ( by the way three of the last four years the back seat fishermen has caught the biggest fish for the year) which leads me to a follow up question. You are fishing and you do let your partner run your rig, he clips off the prop or forgets to secure the anchor before tossing it overboard, who pays?

Lots of good remarks on this subject and as stated I had never given this a thought. I have traveled for years with my close freinds on hunting and fishing trips and this problem has never risen. I think it all boils down to you have to think to yourself what would you expect if you had the deer acident. How would you handle it if it was your vehicle or you were the passenger. I think if I were the passenger I would want to split the deduct with all the passengers, as the owner of the vehicle I would hope my passengers think along the same lines. Now as far as the flat tire or dead battery thing, that I believe is up to the owner. We can't be responsible for how he takes care of his vehicle. There are a lot of variables that can be added in this scenario but as was stated in another post I would hate to loose my freinds over something like this.

Sure, but what about when your friends/companions drive like morons? I certainly have a short list of people that are more likely to hit a deer, either because they are bad drivers in general, don't pay attention, or have the reaction time of a 90-year old. There are a lot of variables to consider if you're going to pick and choose which situations are worthy of your friendly contributions.

Buddy offers to pay for gas. Inserts credit card and pumps the gas..... into your diesel?

Ouch!! eek Um, I'll let you make the call on that one but I know what I would do.

Skunked, the scenario in O.P. is kinda the base line example for the discussion. Lots of variables can certainly be thrown in - probably a million or so - but I believe most of us find ourselves in the buddy vehicle share and I'm seeing the vehicle as being the tool to get everyone to the fun spot.

Bobby, if I were "that" guy, I'd buy you a new anchor and pay your underwater hazard deductible or fix your prop. It's the least I could do for the guided trip and the best fish. grin

Great discussion. I like this topic cause I've seen it go either way...depending on the "quality" of the friends/family.

Scenario. Our family has been invited to another wealthy families cabin for the weekend. They would be in-laws. The cabin owner offers to let my teenage son ride around on his ATV. The good son accidentally loses control of the machine by hitting a large branch across the trail, and pounds it hard against a tree, head on. No injuries, praise God, but he's hit the tree hard enough to bend the machine's frame! This is an $8000.00 Bombardier.

The extraordinarily wealthy ATV owner is angry at my son, and yells at him that he was riding too fast...by the way, without even asking him if he's okay. He's more concerned about the wheeler than my boy. Again, remember, these folks are family.

Once he calms down he asks me to pay the deductible ($500) on his insurance claim. I do, but not without a little animosity. He proceeds to buy back the machine from the insurance company, rebuild the machine with a new frame, and well, there it is. I'm out $500 because he asked my son if he wanted to ride his ATV. This, from a multi-millionaire.

To answer the original question. If I'm driving I wouldn't expect any of my passengers to pay for repairs on my vehicle whether by accident, or simple breakdown. But I wouldn't turn away an offer to help either, as I may likely not have been in that position if I weren't "sharing" the trip with others along. If the tables were turned, and I was a passenger, I would "pitch in", without hesitation to help with the cost of repairs.

But that's just me.

i know a couple groups that will rent a suburban, truck whatever they need form a car rental place that way EVERYONE shares all expenses equally. and no wear and tear on ones personal vehicle.