• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEER!!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some one say beer?...cold and free comes to mine!.....use to drink the tour... the Hamm's Brewery..in St. paul... there should be a law when stuff like this happens> the poor tower of love....... http://www.placeography.org/index.php/Hamm_Brewery%2C_Saint_Paul%2C_Minnesota

some one say beer?...cold and free comes to mine!.....use to drink the tour... the Hamm's Brewery..in St. paul... there should be a law when stuff like this happens> the poor tower of love....... http://www.placeography.org/index.php/Hamm_Brewery%2C_Saint_Paul%2C_Minnesota

Ah yes. Hamms had the best tour and the worst beer, back when I was an undergrad, maybe 1966? All kinds of freebies, a sandwich buffet, and free beer. Cold too but almost undrinkable. Sort of skunky.

Princeton liquors in Maple Grove has a bunch of nice beers. You can buy them one bottle at a time and mix and match a six pack.

I've tried quite a few this fall and like most of them. Founders Breakfast Stout was my favorite.

I'm happy with the curren Summit Unchained series Old 152. It's been a while since they put out something I liked this much.

They called it a Kentucky Common. Corn based sugars, a la Kentucky corn liquor, with a nice mix of rye, malt, and hops. I've stocked up on a few six packs for the future but think I will need more because I really like rye beers.

I also recently found Great Divide's Pilsner. If you are looking for something lighter for a change this pilsner is nicely hopped. My local dealer store is out but I may have to special order a case.

I also picked up 4 750ml bottles of Steel Toe's Wee Heavy Scottish Ale. It's a bit strong so they are currently aging. Will see if I can make it through the holidays or an ice fishging trip without opening one. I'm thinking fishing opener next spring would be a perfect reason to pop a bottle.

First time I had Hoegaarden was in Penang, Malaysia at a German brewhaus (great combination crazy). It seemed just as good there as it was in the Netherlands. I haven't had it in the states. I might have to give it a go. That stuff is really good.

One trick about wheat beer I learned from my German buddies is that you always should roll the bottle on the table to break up all the sediments at the bottom, then pour most of the beer our and swirl the last bit to get all the yeasty goodness out.

Hoping my homebrew APA will be decent too. I'll know for sure in about another two weeks. Columbus bittering, Amarillo flavoring, with a week of Citra dry hopping.

With that hop combo I don't see how it could be bad! I'm loving my citra/simcoe IPA right now

Amarillo/Columbus is next on my list

One trick about wheat beer I learned from my German buddies is that you always should roll the bottle on the table to break up all the sediments at the bottom, then pour most of the beer our and swirl the last bit to get all the yeasty goodness out.

I was not aware of that being tied to weizens. It is true with anything 'unfiltered'. Which is really still mostly filtered. It just leaves some of the yeast in the bottle for flavor.

Flat Earth in St Paul was doing unfiltered fridays for a while. I really liked their unfiltered Angry Planet.

As you described, you gently roll the bottle to stir up the settled yeast before pouring.

Generally only done for unfiltered wheat beers (makes sense that your German buddies showed you this since that's where hefeweizens originated)

But often a negative for other beers, like IPAs, most lagers, etc. But to each their own

If I was served a hefeweizen in Germany that was clear, something was wrong with the beer winkgrin

I spent close to 3 years in Germany and the only beer that I had that I would never drink again was a smoked beer from the town of Nurenburg. Our local beer was Hasen Brau and they made some tasty stuff. Toured the brewery twice just because you could drink as much beer as you wanted they also served up some great wurst! All for free!!

I've only had one Rauch (smoke) beer and was unimpressed. I'm might have to search for a few more to try to create an opinion.

Google is my friend. smile

It's the hefe (yeast) part that makes it worth mixing before pouring.

I hadn't thought about the bottle conditioning creating an unfilterd version every time. Gives you the choice of mixing or not. Wish I could brew my own but I don't have time or space for one more hobby.

The first one or two attempts to drink a smoked beer we a disaster, the third time was a charm. Surly Smoke paired with a smoked pork loin. WOW was it amazing. Nothing I would drink day to day, but a nice treat none the less.

Currently enjoying a 2 year old Russian Stout that I think would give Darkness a run for its money. Also a 3 year old Holiday Spice ale that finally became drinkable. It was horrible for the first two years. In between those big beers, I made a low alcohol session beer that has plenty of hop presence. Similar to Brau Bros. Hop Session.

These are only in between the new kick I have been on, Laphroaig Scotch. I have tried the 10 year, 18 year, 25 year, triple wood, and quarter cask. The 25 is way out of my price range, 18 year pushes it, but my go to is quarter cask, nose is smoke, taste is smoke with salt, citrus. Finish all smoke and it lingers, super smooth. So many different scotches so little time!!

Currently enjoying a 2 year old Russian Stout that I think would give Darkness a run for its money.

Dude...That beer was awesome! Still can't believe how smooth it was given the strength. I've got another 6'er variety pack O' homebrew ready for you. We should get together sometime soon.

The MGM in Champlin does mix/match 6 packs for $10, so we've been doing all kinds of beer research. Usually not the really good stuff, but a decent selection. We had all kinds of Oktoberfests/Lagers for awhile. Hofbrau Maibock was fantastic, except for the light skunk from green bottle. More local, the Capital brewing Okto was good too. Just had a six pack of winter ales. Summit was decent and I liked the Alaskan Winter with slight hint of spruce tips. Schell's Snowstorm is good this year too; it's a french Biere De Garde.

Scott- I was just thinking of giving you a shout out the other day! Let's get together soon. I am back working out of town, but still home on the weekends. You want to come over and brew? I only have 2 carboys with beer in them! 12 empties! Got to get brewing. I was thinking of doing something Christmas weekend or over new years. Give me a call or shoot me an email.

Both my primaries will be soon full, and 3 full carboys so I have more going than you for once. Maibock, and Two Hearted in primary. Scotch ale, rhubarb wine, and apfelwein in secondary. Busy this weekend, but next weekend is a possibility, Dec 22?

Send me an email if you'll be around.

Stopped into the local today. Thought I was all set with the Ruination and the ODell brewery IPA... when the clerk asked if I had tried Hopslam.

"No. I know y'all were gonna get that in, didn't see it though"

he points to the box on the counter next to me that's clearly labeled HOPSLAM

"Here. I'll go grab you a cold 6er."

17 bucks and 10 minutes later I had arrived home and changed out of my work clothes... sat down at the vise and popped the top off of one of these nearly 3 dollar bottles.

Aroma is awesome. Refreshing, a little sweet... you can tell it's a strong imperial though.

Taste is... Hoppy, but smooth. This is from Beer Advocate, I can't say it any better.

Quote:
Smooth, not harsh, great balance of complex hops and distinguished malts. Nice bitter finish, just enough, lingers.

It's a dangerous flavor for a 10% ABV.

Slabs was on to something with the Deschutes Brews. We've had their brews in Montana since inception and while keg beer kills bottled, these are all very flavorful brews and everybody will find a couple they love. Black Butte is king and after your first 6-pack you will wonder how you ever drank a domestic Bud or Millers etc...

Here's a link to their HSOforum with all Brews listed and explained. For those who home brew they have their recipes (ingredient list) for each brew, leaving brew times and amounts to your tinkering. Like all micros they are pricey but well worth it.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/list

Black Butte is a nice porter, I like it. My favorite Porter has to be the Edmund Fitzgerald made by Great Lakes.

Hopslam is pretty potent and is one of the top rated IPA's in the country. I still prefer the ol' reliable Two Hearted from Bells though. These mega hopped brews get a little out of hand sometimes, 2c. Odells IPA was mentioned above; I like that one a lot too.

I've recently gotten into sours and lambics. I wanted to brew a batch, so I grabbed the dregs out of 3 or 4 brewers. Jolly Pumpkin, Odells, and a couple of Belgian labels. Tasty but not worth the $12-20/bottle. With my own set of bugs, I can now make em pretty cheap. But I am only 1 month into an 18 month batch cycle smile

I've recently gotten into sours and lambics.

If you need a taste tester in a year, let me know. I am becoming quite fond of Lambics. New Glarus in WI makes some good fruit ones, but not available in MN yet. I have found a few at Blue Max in Burnsville, one at right around $12/btl. I can't remember the name but it's a champagne style bottle wrapped in blue paper. My first experience with them was at a New Belgium Brwy tour in Fort Collins, and they had La Folie for sale. It was eye opening to say the least. I love them now. The Fruit flavored ones are OK, but I prefer them without.