• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEER!!!

I was at a happy bour for work tonight. One guy ordered the Leinies Canoe Paddler. He compared it to Stalla Artios. I havent tried it, though. To me, Leinies has had a metallic taste to it, but that's just me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

canoe paddler is a kolsh, stella is a hybrid pilsner , actually the first example listed in the beer judge certification program style guide. Ive never met a kolsh I liked but Ive brewed thousands of gallons of kayak kolsh

schmidt is my macro of choice , the cans with the trout taste best !!

canoe paddler is a kolsh, stella is a hybrid pilsner , actually the first example listed in the beer judge certification program style guide. Ive never met a kolsh I liked but Ive brewed thousands of gallons of kayak kolsh

schmidt is my macro of choice , the cans with the trout taste best !!

I take it you work at Lake Superior, given your username and your reference to brewing kayak kolsch?

The Budweiser mini pack or whatever of the 12 bottles of the 3 types of test batches was actually quite good. There is a light amber, a deep amber, and a pilsner. And to boot it was $8!! Might have to pick up another pack.

The Budweiser mini pack or whatever of the 12 bottles of the 3 types of test batches was actually quite good. There is a light amber, a deep amber, and a pilsner. And to boot it was $8!! Might have to pick up another pack.

Dunno if they're still putting out that Project 12 sampler or if it's just the leftovers now. The darker amber lager, known as "Batch No. 91406" in the sampler, ended up being the winner and is now sold as Budweiser Black Crown.

I thought Leinie's kind of ripped off the Kayak Kolsch name with their Canoe Paddler. I much prefer the Lake Superior offering there. I like to brew Kolsch beer for the summer. Almost time to get the ingredients for it. A little more interesting to me than another Pilsner.

Its almost Maibock season. Anyone try Hofbrau Maibock? It has to be one of my favorite malty lagers.

I will be looking for that brett fermented Surly beer. I'm assuming it has not been pastuerized so I can throw the dregs into my "wild" fermenter.

Yes it is almost Maibock season, and that just happens to be my first lager. It's currently bottle carbing for another 2-3 weeks, and then after about a week in the fridge should be ready beginning of May.

Lagered for just short of 9 weeks at 35-36F, bottled it about a week ago.

Attached is a picture of the very last bit out of the bottling bucket. Even the very end is still nicely clear.full-1214-31902-img_20130329_00085.jpg

Looks beautiful Whoaru! I'm digging the color and the clarity.

Lagers are definitely a challenge and I am still learning. I've made a Vienna, a Pilsner, an Oktoberfest, and a Maibock. First was so-so, second was a disaster, and the last two were good. We brought a Maibock down to Texas at a rented Beach House. Kicked the keg between 4 of us after about 4 days; it was pretty tasty. Although March and not May, I reasoned that the weather down there was May like. It also lagered for about 10 months in keg.

Had a couple glasses of Stone Enjoy By 05.17.13 IPA today up in St. Cloud at the Tap House. Good stuff, Maynard. Be careful though, it's potent stuff. wink

The Alaskan Hoptothermia was good to, but still a distant second to the Stone Enjoy.

I tried a Lucid Silo at the fair on Monday and was very impressed by it.

Anyone found this stuff at any local stores? I tried MGM on 96/Centerville, Haskells 96/White Bear and the store attached to Festival in Hugo. All carried Lucid beer, non carried this particular variety.

Onafly - have you tried the ferkins in Minneapolis? I am not sure I've seen a better selection in the state.

Just returned from good old CO... wow. That was fun. I'll have to do a bit of a writeup here after I take a peek at my untapped app to see what exactly I drank and rated (Hung out at the Odell brewery taproom, and took a tour of oskar blues).

Good news for the Oskar Blues fans out there... they opened a second brewery in NC which should really help their distribution, not only for varieties distributed, but they plan on distributing to more states too. Hopefully MN is on their list.

I have seen the Silo cant recall exactly where, either Eden Prairie Liquors or the MGM in Chanhassen.

Tried "Cold Azz Honkey" bottled by some place in MD. Siason. Impulse buy because of the label and the name. It was suprisingly good!

Also tried the Surly Seviin. That was also pretty good but they could drop the price a little ($21.00 at MGM), it wasnt blow your doors off good, I'm kind of getting sick of thier prices and I think with all the other breweries popping up making excellent beers they might have to sooner or later.

My brother found it somewhere on the west side of the cities, which is not so surprising since the brewery is right over by him.

I did pick up a 6 pack of Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. It's good, but the flavor is much different from other unfiltered wheats I've had, which have generally been European.

I did just find out my bro's new place is less than 10 miles from the Lucid brewery...soo yeah...that tour is definitely happening.

The Boulevard Wheat is one of my Favorites, we just moved from NE and it was everywhere down home since they are out of KC. Hopefully i can find it here, they have some really good IPA's and Seasonal beers as well. My company partnered w them to make Bouelvard beer brats for retail grocery - have to check w our retail guys if they are selling them up here.

I'm currently hooked on Dragons Milk (New Holland). A milk stout aged in bourbon barrels. Mmmm. Just wish I could afford more of it. frown

Just watch out if you are lactose intolerant. I just looked up milk stout and they don't actually have milk.... just lactose. That's a relief.

When I was touring the Oskar Blues brewery in CO Back in Sep the tour guide had indicated that their facility in NC would really help their distribution network... she indicated also that MN would PROBABLY be one of the states they'd be shipping into.

The day has finally arrived. No more driving to hudson for my favorite pale ale.

OSKAR BLUES TO MN!

P5252810_zps1323e9ef.jpg