• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEER!!!

Homebrewin is way too addictive (don't do it!!). I have 3 batches fermenting, one fruit wine clearing, and 6 batches in consumption phase.

That's the truth smile I have 9 one-gallon batches of fruit wine going, 5 gallons of hard cider, and 2 batches of beer going right now. And I still have 3 or 4 recipes I really want to do

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could never do GB. Something about it never tasted right with me. Maybe it just wasn't bitter enough.

They do use hop oil extracts as opposed to hops to bitter with. Thats how they can use clear bottles and not get skunky off flavors (High Life does this too). Now the "Triple Hops Brewed" Miller Lite on the other hand... wink

Blue, I remember we were theorizing about elevations and stuff. Guess its the simple things sometimes! Glad to hear you figured it out.

I hit up the Twin City Beerfest last weekend at the Mall of America parking lot and although I'm not that into beer, I dont know much about the different types, it was a good time. Some of my favorites were Lucid Dyno, probably my favorite that day, then Flat Earth had a couple I liked, especially the porter, I'm not a big fan of porters but theirs was very smooth and not too strong. and I really liked Rouge dead guy ale. I wanted to try the Inversion Slabasouras talked about above but either they served it all or they didnt bring it with, cant remember. Stone's Arrogant B*stard was ok, Goose Island had a new one called Mirage or Mirror or something, that was terrible, I dumped that one out. And of course had a few Guniesses but was suprised Surly wasnt there. Must be too snobby these days to do something like a beer fest ON THEIR OWN TURF!

Henry Weinhards Private Reserve

Blue Moon Summer Honey

Killians Irish Red

South Shore Brewery Honey Pilsner

South Shore Brewery Nut Brwon Ale

Castle Danger Brewery Danger Ale

The last one is from a micro Brewery on the North Shore. It comes in growlers or there are some local restraunts that have it on tap. Good stuff.

Nothing wrong with a Mich Golden or Miller Genuine Draft from time to time either. grin

I tried the White IPA that Slabs mentioned today. It's a little strange. Front end of an IPA, back end of a wheat. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very good!

I also tried a few others. One was a blueberry wheat. That was a failed experiment sick

Yeah, that white IPA is different indeed, agreed on the review. Took some getting used to but it is good.

Recently I've discovered one that's new to me, 21st Amendment Brewery. I plan on picking up 2 sixers of Back in Black IPA tonight, man this beer is delicious.

Comes in cans too which is great for my hike-fishing, lots lighter than bottles and they fit in my micro-cooler.

Micro Brew Suggestion: If you are ever in Hayward check out the Angry Minnow. Usually when I'm there I grab a Rye IPA and their AM Burger.

Slab, if you like 21st Amendment, and their cans... check out Oskar Blues from Colorado.

Ten Fidy Russian Imperial Stout, Mamas Little Yella Pils, Dales Pale Ale, Old Chub Scottish Ale - all in cans and all excellent. You'll have to drive to Hudson WI though, don't distribute in MN

Slab, if you like 21st Amendment, and their cans... check out Oskar Blues from Colorado.

Ten Fidy Russian Imperial Stout, Mamas Little Yella Pils, Dales Pale Ale, Old Chub Scottish Ale - all in cans and all excellent. You'll have to drive to Hudson WI though, don't distribute in MN

Thanks for the tip! I didn't think the cans would actually be a big deal until I started bringing them along on hikes and wading trips. So much less weight.

Dales Pale Ale was actually one of the "can beers" featured in the summer issue of the drake. Their summary of it sounded tasty. Just checked, looks like they have a bunch of outlets on my route to the cabin in Wisconsin. Perfect.

goblueM, I stopped at a store in Cumberland, WI that not only had Dale's Pale Ale, they also had some brews from the Angry Minnow Brewpub in Hayward.

On the way up north I picked a 6 pack up of the Dales, for me... didn't work out that way though. My parents liked the beer so much they drank all but 2 of them.

So I picked up a 12 pack on the way home. Also a case of the angry minnow riverpig pale ale.

Thanks for the tip, Dale's is a nice pale ale. Definitely going to try the other oskar blues brews as well.

Slabasaurus, where did you pick up a case of river pig pale ale? I can't make it up to hayward but want to swig the pig, absolutely love that stuff.

I typed case but meant '4 pack of pints' but still, I mean, they're canned. they also have the oatmeal stout.

Island Wine in Cumberland is where I picked it up, it's right as you get into town from the west on 63.

Looking at the Angry Minnow site, there are other distributors listed, some in Eau Claire.

Man that's good to know, I only have one left!

It's been a good fall. The canned beers were perfect for steelheading. Here's my favorites right now.

1. Stone Ruination IPA - 100+IBU brew here y'all. Bitter, hoppy flavor with a malty base. If this isn't in my fridge, something went wrong, or it's sunday afternoon.

2. Odell Brewing Company Mountain Standard Double Black IPA - Interesting flavor. Starts sweetish, then comes the bitter, coffee malt flavor... in other words: takes Back in Black by 21's amendment, then hops the heck out of it. Deeeelicious!

3. Stone Levitation Ale - Rich malty flavor. Hoppy, with citrus overtones.

4. Brash Brewery The Bollocks (12% abv, 110 IBU. Nuff said.)

I love Paulaner, Hacher-Schorr wiess, learned to love them while in Germany in the '80s. Among other German varieties as well. I still try lots of wheat beers when I see them. A great one I had was Hoegaarden while in Scotland. Holy cow was it good, and strong crazy haha! Some reviews say it is best the closer you are to Belgium, as it doesn't "travel well"...

Buddies have made some good homebrews, but many fell flat, and still may fav go-to beer is Paulaner. Wife likes Blue Moon and that is not bad and available everywhere. Still like my American bubbly light beer though, Mich Golden Light and yes even cabin beer wink (think MBL... haha! when the fire is going to be going strong all night wink