• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Catches Angler With 400+ Fish Over State Limit

Craigums

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – A 39-year-old Otsego man is facing up to a year in jail and up to a $3,000 fine after a conservation officer caught the angler with more than 400 fish, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Chien Van Tran could have his fishing privileges revoked for up to three years if convicted.

According to the DNR, Trang was fishing on Pelican Lake in Wright County on April 4 and was approached by a state conservation officer as he got off the lake. The officer was watching him place a bag of fish in a locked compartment of his boat.

Tran showed the officer about a dozen pan fish of sun fish and crappies. He was asked several times if he had more fish. He said “no” several times before admitting that he had about 100 more fish on board. That total included 134 sunfish and 19 crappies. Minnesota’s daily limit for sunfish is 20 and for crappies is 10.

The officer then asked Tran if he had more fish at home. After searching his freezer, the officer found 11 bags of fish containing 299 sunfish and 21 crappies. That brought Tran to 413 sunfish and 30 crappies over the state’s limit.

The conservation officer seized all the fish as a result of the violation. Tran’s boat, motors, trailer and fishing license were also seized as the violation is a gross misdemeanor.

Tran is due to appear in Wright County Court on Wednesday.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should lose fishing privileges forever! And then he would fish anyway and they could bust his arse again and give him some time in the slammer to study MN's rules and regulations. Perhaps then he would learn that the reason we HAVE fish in the lakes and rivers is because we do NOT allow people like him to do what he does. I am tired of this and you should be too. And yes, I agree, it probably is going on right this minute someplace. Life time ban: no fishing and no hunting. You don't care about our rules....so I don't care if you can't fish any more! LOL

People who break the law know the law. They just choose to break it by their own free will. This is not an issue with language barrier or the old ways from other countries. Do not use that as an excuse for any reason to aid the actions of the individuals that choose to break the law. These people know exactly what their doing regardless of race or ethnic background.

holy cow that is a lot of fish, Glad he was caught. Sad to say this stuff happens all over the place. One of the reasons I have TIP number in my cell phone. If I see something suspicios I will call it in.

+1 on the TIP line call. You know your not a taddle tailor nark, when using this method. When people do this think of it as though, they are stealing from you. We are the ones that follow the rules, and contribute to the resources financially by purchasing license, etc, etc. It is just like stealing from us!!!!!!

VERY VERY SAD!!! I am sure we will hear another story soon enough, which is the saddest part!

what a crazy crazy dude. Trying ta sneak off the lake with a hundred extra sunnies in locked compartments. reminds me of the early 80s when a guy i knew use to trailer a boat with A hollowed out floor through the canadian border with nearly 400 pounds of grass

People who break the law know the law. They just choose to break it by their own free will. This is not an issue with language barrier or the old ways from other countries. Do not use that as an excuse for any reason to aid the actions of the individuals that choose to break the law. These people know exactly what their doing regardless of race or ethnic background.

+1

Especially when he left 10 fish out and locked the others away so they were hidden and denied that he had any more fish.

I wish they would make the fines/penalties much more severe than they are. Approaching the absurd level just because I think such a very small percent of violators are caught and just the thought of a heavy penalty might keep people more in line.

But I am mainly a C&R fisherman so people who fish for food may disagree more? I guess one fish over can happen by accident so perhaps just in cases similar to this when there is a more obvious intent to fish illegally.

Maybe not the best thought out arguement, but hopefully people will catch my drift