• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm an ECSTATIC dad!!! Amanda's 1st bowkill!!!

bmc

Yesterday afternoon my 13 year old daughter Amanda and I headed out to our west food plot of oats for an afternoon/evening sit in the ground blind.

Being my dad saw 2 bucks there the previous night, I brought the doe decoy out to hopefully bring in a buck.

My dad dropped us off with the Polaris Ranger, Amanda went to the blind, and I put the decoy out at 18 yds, quartering to our left. I no sooner get in the blind and sit down and Amanda goes on alert and points to a doe and 2 fawns that are loping onto the food plot. They must have watched me put out that decoy as fast as they showed up. Amanda didn't even have her release or arm guard on and her quiver was still on her bow and no arrow knocked.

The real doe lays her ears back and takes an aggressive stance, head to head w/ the decoy. We thought she was gonna beat the tar out of it. After 10 minutes the doe and fawns calm down and start feeding, giving the decoy an occassional look.

Amanda whispers she's gonna shoot the doe if it gives her a shot and I told her to get ready then. The doe steps into our narrow shooting lane at 10 yds. I got the video rolling and she gets to half draw and............BUSTED! The doe knows something is up, but she's not really sure. She faces us, raises her tail, and trotts off to our left. Amanda let her string down and I could see the disappoinment on her face. I told her not to worry because of the "buck bait" on the food plot.

This doe walked in front of us a couple of more times, but knew we were there and wouldn't slow down for a shot, not to mention she was on red alert looking our way. She finally joined her fawns on our left and fed out of sight.

Around 5:15 I see a deer feeding our way from the left. It's an adult sized doe and she isn't paying any attention to us. It stops at 13 yds and is feeding when Amanda comes to full draw. She took her time and I was thinking "shoot, shoot, shoot,". Finally she squeezes the tirgger on her release and THWACK!

Her 35lb Darton Ranger 3 buried her 28" Beman ICS Hunter Junior arrow tipped with a 100 grain Slick Trick 4 blade broadhead into the doe's side. The shot placement was perfect left and right, but a bit high. The doe ran off with the fletching half of the arrow sticking out of her side.

We watched as the doe ran away with her tail down through the tall field grass, west of the food plot. Amanda came unglued, she was laughing and crying at the same time. We hugged and I congratulated her on her first deer. I told her the shot ws a bit high, but looked pretty good.

We then waited a long 25 minutes before we went to look for blood. During that time, she called my wife/her step mom right away and couldn't talk so I had to relay the good news. She settled down a bit and called my mom to let her know she had shot a deer.

We then got out of the blind and walked to where the deer had been standing and I saw a light spray of blood on the ground. We followed the light blood trail for about 100 yds through tall field grass. My eyes must be going, but she was like a bloodhound on a scent trail following that blood trail. A couple of times I reminded her to slow down and make sure what she was looking at was blood.

We got to the powerline and saw 4 deer on the powerline. I carefully inspected each of these deer with my Swarovski binocs and didn't see any sign of them being the one Amanda shot. We waited till they fed off and continued down the powerline on the blood trail. The blood trail turned into some thick cover and the blood trail was getting better. The blood appeared wet still so we decicded to back out and get my dad and brother. So far we had covered about 100 yds.

We met back at my dad's house and had a bite to eat and talk about the shot. We waited an hour and returned to the last spot of blood. My brother Steve was in the lead and about 50 yds into the swamp he said, "There she is!!!" She, a nice sized dry doe, was down for the count and probably dead, when Amanda and I had decided to back out.

After the hug-fest was done, we loaded her onto the Ranger and headed back to the house for pictures.

When I gutted her out, we saw that Amanda's arrow had went through the top of the lungs and most of the blood had pooled inside the body cavity. The broadhead was poking the hide out on the opposite side of the deer, but did not penetrate the hide.

And here's the trophy pic..........

amandadeer1.jpg

Brian

Congratulations Amanda!! Great job from me and my two daughters, 11 and 9yrs old. They both love archery and my oldest daughter is hunting her first year with her bow. I showed her your picture and she thought it was awesome and that you shot a BIG deer. Way to go!