• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

goblueM's first archery deer!

goblueM

Finally shook the monkey off my back tonight! The landowner where I was hunting told me she'd been seeing deer in this grassy field by her beehives around 630 most nights. Got on the stand at 5. Was expecting them to pop out to my left at about 15 yards. If you look close you can see a fairly recent scrape on the lawn edge, and there's a week-old rub on a sapling on the other side of the grass.

full-23483-12641-p9280685.jpg

Just before 6, several deer appear 15 yards behind me right at that spot. I was expecting them and never heard a thing. I start to draw and somehow the lead doe sees it, which looking up from where she was, I don't know how. I freeze for about a minute and she starts feeding. I complete the draw cycle as the last doe turns broadside, and that dang first doe looks straight at me again. I decide I better shoot fast, and before I had finished that thought I had already shot her. Took off running, I saw the entry and thought it was a solid shot.

I was pretty excited

full-23483-12646-p9280686.jpg

Got down to look for my arrow 15 minutes later, and her two friends were coming back! If I had my bow and release handy I could have shot another one! You can tell my adrenalin was still going... camera was a bit shaky smile

full-23483-12642-p9280688.jpg

Arrow looked good

full-23483-12643-p9280693.jpg

She went about 125 yards, despite just destroying both lungs. Using a Rage 2-blade head, the blood trail wasn't superb - did the job but I was surprised at the lack of blood considering the shot placement.

full-23483-12644-p9280696.jpg

A big Congrats to you goblueM!!!

Great deer and a good shot too!!! Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Hopefully this is the first of many, many more in your bowhunting career!

Brian

Well done! It's really hard to do, but it can help if you sit in the stand about 20-30minutes before getting down. Gives the Deer time to expire so they don't run farther and if you have add'l tags, you could have had that second shot.

Congrats,and nice shot on her. I hope it does to you what it does to me.

It's funny how that works sometimes. You smoke em and the blood trail isn't that impressive but then the next time you may have hit them well but not perfect and they bleed like crazy. Just keep putting it where you did. Next time I'm sure you will be happier with the blood trail

Finally shook the monkey off my back tonight! The landowner where I was hunting told me she'd been seeing deer in this grassy field by her beehives around 630 most nights. Got on the stand at 5. Was expecting them to pop out to my left at about 15 yards. If you look close you can see a fairly recent scrape on the lawn edge, and there's a week-old rub on a sapling on the other side of the grass.

full-23483-12641-p9280685.jpg

Just before 6, several deer appear 15 yards behind me right at that spot. I was expecting them and never heard a thing. I start to draw and somehow the lead doe sees it, which looking up from where she was, I don't know how. I freeze for about a minute and she starts feeding. I complete the draw cycle as the last doe turns broadside, and that dang first doe looks straight at me again. I decide I better shoot fast, and before I had finished that thought I had already shot her. Took off running, I saw the entry and thought it was a solid shot.

I was pretty excited

full-23483-12646-p9280686.jpg

Got down to look for my arrow 15 minutes later, and her two friends were coming back! If I had my bow and release handy I could have shot another one! You can tell my adrenalin was still going... camera was a bit shaky smile

full-23483-12642-p9280688.jpg

Arrow looked good

full-23483-12643-p9280693.jpg

She went about 125 yards, despite just destroying both lungs. Using a Rage 2-blade head, the blood trail wasn't superb - did the job but I was surprised at the lack of blood considering the shot placement.

full-23483-12644-p9280696.jpg

Didn't know you were a bowhunter.

I don't hunt but I do like venison and a doe is mighty fine eating. Congrads

Nice work goblueM!

As was mentioned, sitting in the stand for 20-30 or more minutes after the shot is a good (but really tough grin ) habit. Of course, with an evening hunt, that can complicate any tracking effort.

i actually did wait 25 mins before getting down to look for it

thanks everybody! goin out again soon, maybe I can cross an archery buck off my list next smile

Got down to look for my arrow 15 minutes later, and her two friends were coming back! If I had my bow and release handy I could have shot another one! You can tell my adrenalin was still going... camera was a bit shaky

My mistake--you said 15 minutes...