• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyotes and deer-- what to expect next year...

Scoot

A buddy of mine forwarded these pics yesterday. They were taken on a golf course here in Fargo earlier this week. This coming year, when you're sitting in the stand wondering where all the deer are, think of how deep the snow was this Winter and these pics...

ATT00214.jpg

ATT00208.jpg

ATT00217.jpg

ATT00220.jpg

ATT00223.jpg

Imagine what this is like in wolf country.

Yep we are in trouble up north. I was kind of hoping the low deer numbers will start to put a hurt on the wolf population, it probably has at some level but all the deep snow makes things that much easier for them to get a meal.

... seems like that coyote coulda been killed pretty easily.

Not legally. It's in city limits. In fact, it's basically right in the middle of South Fargo. If anyone would have shot it, all of the bleeding hearts at the country club would have called the cops...

My buddy didn't take the pics- he just forwarded them to me.

With the big melt we had I think the playing field got evened up a bit more thankfully. We were out Friday night and the main deer trails were pretty solid but there was alot grass opening up. We'll see what it looks like after this snow storm.

We only took shotguns on Friday night. It was a last minute decision to go out and I didn't even consider bringing the rifle. Well, 2 red foxes, 1 yote, and 2 gray foxes are still around here. The first 3 were too far out for the shotguns and the 2 gray foxes were close enough to the house that I hesitated thinking I might take a double on neighbors cat if I didn't have them ID'd right. Oh well.

Thanks for the pics Scoot. Also - I saw one of your custom rods in the raffle. Nice! I was especially intriqued by your choice of reel seat. I didn't win it though. frown

Thanks for the pics Scoot. Also - I saw one of your custom rods in the raffle. Nice! I was especially intriqued by your choice of reel seat. I didn't win it though. frown

Cool! It's actually my dad's rods, not mine- he's the custom rod builder. I'm not skilled enough to build things...

Does "especially intrigued" mean you liked it or didn't like it? smile

I hope the benefit went well! Hopefully the rod helped out a little.

"I didn't win it though" frown isn't the same as "I didn't win it though" smile.

gringrin

I liked the concept. It seemed like it could be reel solid - pun intended. And it did help. There were a core group of guys who put many tickets in that raffle box for that drawing. We kinda baby sat it and tossed tickets in at calculated intervals. whistle

I was at the gas station last week filling up my truck with my son and while we were inside paying for the gas, sodas, etc. my son says "Dad look at the dead dog in the back of that guys truck!" I took a look and sure enough there were two yote heads peeking over the tailgate. Didn't think much of it, so as I was walking out to the truck I asked the guy if he had shot the yotes around the Sauk Centre area. Said that they had been hunting a little west of Fargo. Upon further looking into the bed of the truck, there were 35 yotes stacked like cord wood!! grin Guess it was a good trip for them. Wished them well and hope they go back for more!

deer.jpg

I got this pic in an e-mail-- don't know anything about it, but it speaks to the theme of this thread.

I saw a trailer coming from ND into MN this past Fri that had somewhere between 40 and 50 yotes (I tried to count them, but it was tough) on it. There were legs, tails, and heads coming off of it from all directions! It was a beautiful sight!!!