• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a American made truck

Just received my 2011 F150 FX4 with the Eco boost and wow. You are right 4 wanderingeyes, it will snap your head at take off and the torque is incredible.

Got it a day before the snow storm and the day of I was driving back and forth to work in 4 wheel and got 17.5 mpg. Not bad for a new engine with 4 miles on it. Expecting 22-23 in the summer. I've had 10 Ford half tons since 1981 and have never driven one with this much power and torque. Plus the interior is the nicest Ford has ever put out.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually take out a 3 year loan and pay it off in 2 years. That way the truck usually has it's highest rate of equity, I still get to drive it for 3 years and don't have to put any money into it. I have had some for longer and some for a shorter amount of time. The last 4 or 5 pickups have had no out of pocket expense involved and I usually only finance about 8-10K just for credit's sake. This one may buck the trend though based on my initial love affair with it but who knows what will be available 3 years down the road.

Just received my 2011 F150 FX4 with the Eco boost and wow. You are right 4 wanderingeyes, it will snap your head at take off and the torque is incredible.

Got it a day before the snow storm and the day of I was driving back and forth to work in 4 wheel and got 17.5 mpg. Not bad for a new engine with 4 miles on it. Expecting 22-23 in the summer. I've had 10 Ford half tons since 1981 and have never driven one with this much power and torque. Plus the interior is the nicest Ford has ever put out.

Wait until you get over 10k on it, the power will increase about 20%, and mileage will as well. So I am told laugh

I'm just looking forward to hooking up the boat and seeing what a couple of my friends, who drove the test mules down in Missouri, have been talking about when they say a 5K load won't even slow it down the least bit.

That 3.5 ecoboost certainly looks like an impressive unit. As long as it can hold up over time, I think Ford has a real winner there. When I watched the video on their HSOforum on the ecoboost, I did notice though that when they were doing their towing competitions, they didn't ever show it up against the Toyota Tundra.

I've always been kind of a Chevy guy, think the 5.7 was probably one of the best engines ever built. I do know that my next truck will be a Tundra though. I know farmers in North Dakota that use it as a 3/4 ton and beat the living snot out of em and they keep on going. With the 5.7 and 401 lbs of torque coupled with a 4.30 rear end, that truck is built to do some heavy hauling! Got to demo one towing a 10,000 travel trailer, and it towed better than my Tahoe with an 18 ft Lund behind it. Plus, I'm tired of hearing about all my friends Chevy trannies going out with only 100k on em. Mark another believer for the San Antonio built Tundra.

Wait until you get over 10k on it, the power will increase about 20%, and mileage will as well. So I am told laugh

do you know why that is? i know engines take a while to "break in", but I guess I never really understood why that is. In theory, the engine should be in the best 'condition' the day you drive it off the lot, but I do know that is not the case

Wait until you get over 10k on it, the power will increase about 20%, and mileage will as well. So I am told

do you know why that is? i know engines take a while to "break in", but I guess I never really understood why that is. In theory, the engine should be in the best 'condition' the day you drive it off the lot, but I do know that is not the case

Remember this is a Fishing site, you know about fish stories, right ??? gringrin

I have to admit it, being a Dodge user for many years is tough to say it, but... I am looking at Ford 3.5 too. Finally a diesel in 1/2 ton truck, this is the begin of an era, many will follow, I hope.

They have the 4.5 diesel on the back burner, and decided to go full force into direct injected turbo gas engines. The fuel economy is just as good, the power is better, and the torque is very close, and they have less stuff to add for emissions to make it pass. So far it looks to have an interesting future!

What happened, they had a small diesel to enter the small truck market ? Add so the other 2 manufacturers.

The epa happened. With our laws there isn't much chance for an efficient diesel. Look at what has happened to them in the last ten years.

You should hammer down a Tundra with a I-Force 5.7 liter! wink

Airjer..I just test drove a new Tundra. deffinatly has some snort. Does not look like it has much to offer in the MPG?

Very nice truck all around, my concern would be the interior and noise/rattles over time. everything just kinda seemed loose and flimsy. I am by no means trying to bash at all so please don't get me wrong.

I was wondering what your experiance is with this and maybe there is a differance in the packages but they only had the base models there. Outside of that I liked what I saw and seemed to be at a good price

They have the 4.5 diesel on the back burner, and decided to go full force into direct injected turbo gas engines. The fuel economy is just as good, the power is better, and the torque is very close, and they have less stuff to add for emissions to make it pass. So far it looks to have an interesting future!

I see torque is definitely lower than a diesel, same hp engines rate in the 650lbs torque instead then 450lbs. I assume the dislike of the diesel motor for the Amercan market and mostly the EPA emission regulations are a factor, even though the new Urea injection motors are as good as a gasser if not better, but many people is very reluctant when faced to also fill the solution at the station, or carry fluid in the truck. We have women (not to discriminate) that fill up diesel trucks with gas, I can see them having problems finding out where to put the emission fluid.

I am impressed with Ford and their determination in building a competitive truck, instead of sitting on old glories. I still admit it, the Cummins motor is what keeps me interested in Dodge, nothing else. If I had to buy a 1/2 ton Ford would be my choice.

Valv, working in a Ford dealership for almost 20 years, I have ran into more guys putting gas into their diesel trucks, then I have even heard of girls doing it. As for the torque, I was comparing it to what the 4.5 diesel engine is/was suppose to produce, yes, the diesel is higher, but it is close. I do believe your right, the american fear of diesel vehicles, and the epa that they require is why I think Ford has put the v6 diesel on the back burner, and is banking on the direct injected gasser line up they are coming out with. Although, I sure wish they would just put the 4.5 diesel in the market, and let the customers decide!

PS, they are still working on a diesel line up of v6 and a 4 cyl engine, if it ever gets released in america, time will only tell!

Bob Lutz (fomer product guru at GM amongst others) said it costs $2-3k above a gasser to meet the EPA regs, even though they are more efficient. Add in the $1k diesel engine premium, and you are looking at a $3-4k difference over a gasser. That's why they aren't offered in more vehicles and only in the HD trucks.

There are a lot of rumors that there will be some 4 cylinder diesel hatches coming, as they aren't as they don't require as much equipment in order to have them meet EPA standards. So far Mazda has said they are bringing one, Chevy is reportedly going to put one in their new Cruze, Ford is considering one for the Focus.

Fiat/Chrysler wants to put a 6Cyl diesel in the Grand Cherokee, so who knows what will happen.

BTW, GM is working on an engine comparable to the Ford 3.5TT Ecoboost, should be out in about a year.

I read someplace that Dodge is working on a small diesel for their 1/2 ton trucks as well. Chevy had the baby Duramax about ready to go when they had their financial problems so it was put on the back-burner (it would have been on the lots right now). Too bad, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

The diesels have a lot of ground to make up in a half ton package for it to be economical vs the gas engine. Add up the huge price up front, extra cost for fuel per gallon, 3-4 gallons of oil every 3000, batteries, fuel filters. Even if a diesel got to the 25 mpg range(I doubt that will ever happen with the epa regs) it would still cost as much or more to run than a nice quiet gas engine.

Yeah a baby diesel would be awesome in a half ton. Its sort of a ideal combo really.

However the ecoboost is just such a sweet deal. I want to see more about real world longevity but it would still be hard for me to pass it up if I was in the market for a brand new truck.