• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a American made truck

Yeah a baby diesel would be awesome in a half ton. Its sort of a ideal combo really.

However the ecoboost is just such a sweet deal. I want to see more about real world longevity but it would still be hard for me to pass it up if I was in the market for a brand new truck.

Yep, gonna work out about perfect. Drive my Explorer for another few years until the verdict is in. Then maybe pull the triggger.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hold Toyota in high regard, but this is an eye opener. Not sure if current model years react any different.

Not sure what your eyes are opening to. Stiffer isn't always better! Look at the specs for those year vehicles. You would think that stiff and rugged Ford should be able to do a lot more.....It doesn't because it is under engineered. From the motor to the brakes. Besides are you going to drive that fast down that bumpy of a road with 10k pounds of trailer behind you? shocked

Jeez, don't take it so personal. You can't deny that it looks like the back of the tundra looks like it's going to twist off. They have also had some frame deficiencies in the not very distant past.

I prefer sturdiness, especially in a truck. You can only bend/flex metal so many times. Those torture courses aren't much worse than pothole seasons or conditions met by many outdoors sportsmen. I would expect that tundra box doing the twist would eject cargo quicker too.

Toyota does build a fine product. I just think they could have done a better job on the frame. 10000 lbs behind a half ton? No thanks. Tow/cargo rating are also used as a selling point to one up the other guys. I've seen enough trucks pushed to their limits to know how they react. Ever seen an exhaust system turned deep blue all the way to the tip of the tailpipe? Well his manual said it was OK, so it must be.

If anybody wants a new American truck, just check out the "vehicle parts content" stickers. It may disturb you.

They have also had some frame deficiencies in the not very distant past.

This has been beaten to death on here about this frame issue with Toyota. It wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. And it was a very very small number of trucks that were even reported.

Toyota received reports on a small number of Tacoma frames that may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck.

It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of business years ago it they offered this type of commitment.

you don't have to feel ashamed to buy a Tundra. I would own one myself if I didn't buy a Ram (because at the time -- 2004 -- the Tundra had a cruddy 235 hp V8 that wouldn't tow my lawn tractor, let alone my boat).

2004 was the first year for the vvti 4.7 liter. Its specs where 282 horsepower (210 kW) and 325 ft·lb of torque. As good or better than the ford 5.4 and the chevy 5.3!

So now there is no excuse! smile

In all reality who ever drives there truck a whole tank full of gas under 60 mph. I never have and doubt I ever will.

I just drive the speed limits! The faster you go the more gas you burn. I think everybody knows the best highway fuel economy on a truck doesn't happen at 70 or 75! I drive plenty of 55, 60, and 65mph posted speed limit roads. In fact I would say the majority of my time is spent on these. So in all reality I do!

2004 was the first year for the vvti 4.7 liter. Its specs where 282 horsepower (210 kW) and 325 ft·lb of torque. As good or better than the ford 5.4 and the chevy 5.3!

2004 f150 5.4 has 300 hp and 365 torque. Check your facts mr toyota.

Air- Relax. Remember if everyone is driving well built, durable vehicles the need for your expertise in the automotive threads would greatly diminish. Let the guys keep their "American" made Fords, Chevys, and Dodges, and you can continue to diagnose some random relay or seal that has failed prematurely. All one has to do is page back through the threads to find a pattern. TEQ on! Skol.

So now there is no excuse! smile

It looks like there is some info that would suggest otherwise. I don't think it was until '05 or '06 the Toyota V8 got bumped up to 282 hp. Either way still fewer ponies than Ford or Chev.

2004 Toyota 4.7 - 240 hp, 315 ft-lb Toyota Info

2004 Chevrolet 5.3 - 295 hp, 330 ft-lb Chev Info

2004 Ford 5.4 - 300 hp, 365 ft-lb Ford Info

That's funny because I was thinking about the "leave at 2 with a 10, wake up at 10 with a 2" scenario after I posted that.

The only problem in this case is if you pick up one of these Toyotas at a dealership in the evening and it's still in your garage in the morning, how do you chew off your garage? grin

That thing shakes like a dog crappin' tacks, yet Ford is accused of being "under-engineered"? sheesh! Can't make it up.

In the years I've driven 169 to Shakopee, especially this time of year, I've seen a lot of Chevys that like to "SHAKE DAT AZZ" like the Toyota in the video. wink

Ahhhhhh....... Chevy Guys, same ol', same ol', nothing ever changes. smilewink

Hey airjer, 2005 Tundra here, I'm due for a new timing belt (110,000), they're hinting at replacing the water pump while they've got their hands dirty. What do you think? I'm planning on riding it till it hits 200k, then stepping up to the big boy. (That is, if gas ain't $8 a gallon by then) wink

The water pump is timing belt driven. You can't use an aftermarket (at least the ones we have tried) you need to get one from the dealer. Its kind of a catch 22 if you don't and everything is fine than you made out. If it decides to start leaking in a couple of months you paying the same labor all over again. IMO, it makes sense to just belly up, pay the extra and not have to worry about it.

I'm not 100% positive on this but I don't think the dealer replaces them unless they are leaking.

I'm not 100% positive on this but I don't think the dealer replaces them unless they are leaking.

It was a recomendation from my guy at the dealer, I'm just trying to see if he was pushing something that wasn't needed at this time. He explained your point about the labor costs. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for if I'm being dinked around with or not. Thanks.

What did they quote you for labor. The dealer usually has a pretty good price on t-belts

I don't remember, it's just been brought up the last couple of times I was in for an oil change. Picked up a Venza for the Mrs a few months ago, the dealer for some reason seems to like me and treats me well. wink