• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a American made truck

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last two vehicles where Chevy pickups but was tired of spending money on stuff that shouldn't have needed done. So I replaced it with a Tundra because I believe it will last longer for less the any of the big three. Also when I was in the market for a new outboard motor the choice was clear to me. And I would bet most of the people on this forum have Yamaha's too. I have 2 Yamaha snowmobiles that are 16 and 17 years old that run great. My John Deer riding lawn mower has a Kawasaki in it. Pressure washer has a Honda motor in it. When it comes to motors, Japanese made are just superior. I think most people just buy what their dad bought. Plus it's easy to buy one of the big three because there is a dealership in almost every town. And when they break down the dealers are close to have them repaired. If Toyota's needed repairs as often as American vehicles do they would have to open more dealerships just to fix them.

I had an 06 Tundra and an 07 escalade in the shop last night for oil changes. Both with simular mileage around 60k.

The escalade had a wheel bearing that was ready to fall off, water pump gaskets leaking, power steering pump leaking, power steering hoses leaking, trans cooler lines leaking, front shocks leaking, a/c belt was cracked, rear backing plates where rotted away, front axle seals where leaking, and that's all I remember. But it did get an amsoil synthetic oil change!

The Tundra got new oil, fluids topped off, and parked.

Dont let anyone kid you, all vehicles have issues, some more then others, some there are a ton of them models out there, so you will see more of those repairs. The only thing that really concerns me is when there is a known issue, and they keep pumping out the same product for several more years, without changing anything. Thats what irks me the most. All vehicles break down, thats why there are shops. Another reason Airjer isnt seeing as many foriegn vehicles in his shop is people that buy foriegn vehicles are much more prone to returning to the dealer for repairs. Most people believe that the average aftermarket shops arent either knowledgeable, or have the correct tools to repair the vehicles. In a lot of cases, the people are correct with this. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying foreign models are any better, or any worse, just stating, alot of the repairs on foreign vehicles, get done in a dealership.

It had the 6.0 liter.

We see a lot of imports in woodbury!

In fact the four quick launch bottons on my scan tool are GM, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota. We service a ton of Toyotas, Hondas, hyundais, kias, nissans, audis, volkswagen, etc.

You can have the exact same year, make and model of a truck. Probably even next to each other in production.

one could go problem free for years, the other one can be a lemon.

+1. true statement. People really get worked up about this stuff!! We ALL know chevy is the best grin

BTW. i Have a Chevy, Subaru & VW TDI, So I can't even decide what frickin continent I like 2c

+1. true statement. People really get worked up about this stuff!! We ALL know chevy is the best grin

BTW. i Have a Chevy, Subaru & VW TDI, So I can't even decide what frickin continent I like 2c

How do you like the TDI? Ive got a VW/Audi? Either way you pop the hood on a VW or an Audi and you see both parts on them smile

The consumer reports said my car was a bad buy, but I haven't had much go wrong with it other than the normal stuff. No major repairs like consumer reports said id have!

Don't know yet, I only had it for a couple of months. So far so good. It's a used, one owner with all maintenance records car. Just ready to turn 100,000 and have been getting about 43-44 MPG. Nice driving little car. 02 beetle with a 5 speed.

Johny P. had on up on red lake until he drove it or I should say lost it in an ice crack. He had no complaints.

There ergonomics leave something to be desired. Take a test drive on a warm summer day and you'll know exactly what I am talking about before you leave the lot.

Besides Nissan is the Chrysler of the import world. Mediocre style, mediocre cars, and plenty of issues!

If I am remembering correctly, I think the Nissan gets the worst mileage out of the Big 5. Not the best design either.

It hasn't sold very well and the rumors are it will be canned, especially if gas goes up and sales drop off the cliff again.

6.0 vortec

We ran 13 of them, miles ranging from 175 to 223,000, years from 2003 to 2011. They towed heavy all their life, used by drivers that have care but not too much. The only thing we did to them is changing oil. Never had a problem, except for using too much gas, a lot of gas. One got totaled at 111,000 miles jacknifed with a 5th wheel on ice, still with no maintenance done except tires, oil, and misc lubes. the 223,000 miles still works as of today, but they keep it for short trips.

It must have been a coincidence...

You can have the exact same year, make and model of a truck. Probably even next to each other in production.

one could go problem free for years, the other one can be a lemon.

Yup. My wife had a 2003 Impala with the 3.4 liter V6. The car was supposed to be a piece of junk. When we sold it with 200K on it, considering of the 100 miles she drove for her daily commute were 30 miles of dirt road, the fact that I only replaced one wheel bearing, two tie rod ends, one set of struts and strut mounts and it was on its 5th set of tires... I would honestly say it was a pretty good car. The motor didn't burn any oil, started as easy as anything I have seen and ran as smooth as silk (even after the 3 runs of Slick50 crazygrinlaugh ). It got regular oil changes, never did anything to the tranny sickcrazylaugh. the car still ran like a top! I gotta give props to the GM employees that built that car, whether it was Sally in Detroit, Pierre in Oshawa or Pedro in Valencia.

I have a 2002 5.3L Avalanche with 192K on it. To date new brakes, pads and rotors twice; 2 tune ups, 1 new serpentine belt; new wheel bearings on the fronts. The valve guides are worn and she burns a quart every 1,000 miles.

She's headed to the cabin for local hauling soon. Assembled in Mexico. I'm satisfied.

My '02 Silverado 1500 92,000 miles had its first repair (wheel bearing)in December other than the regular maintenance I do to it. This truck spends most of its life lugging a trailer around of some sort. All summer it pulls my pulling tractor around that is a wee bit heavy for it. eek

Not knocking anyones brand because they all have their problems. If they didn't that brand would not have a shop and the tool sellers would not sell tools for them.

Re. lemons, I had a 2000 Silver 2500 w/the 6L and 4x4. No problems at all, but I went through tires and brakes every other year, and I never managed more than 13mpg. That's why I don't have it anymore. It pulled everything up to and including the spotter tractor at work...and a few stumps...really. My neighbor got a 2000 half ton a few weeks before me, with the 5.3L. Within the first 30K miles the roller rockers dumped their bearings into the oil pan. It was a warranty repair, and he still has it.

I have a 2005 F150 now w/a milk-toast 4.2. I get 15mpg but I sure miss the power. It has intermittant 4x4 problems I haven't chased down yet, probably vacuume, and it apparently likes to eat O2 sensors. I'd say, don't buy one of those! But I also had a 97 F150 with 4x4 and the 5.4L and the only problem I had with it was the CD cartrige. It was really fast for a truck, but it was a short bed, that part I couldn't stand.

I completely agree with you guys who said you're gonna have some problems with every brand...or not. It really dempends upon how you use 'em, and whether you actually did get a lemon. I'm pretty rough with 'em, but I am careful about it, AND I keep up the normal maintenance.