• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting plans for 2011

Scoot

I saw a similar thread in the hunting forum-- what bowhunting trips do you have planned for 2011? Just wondering about archery hunts here...

My 2011 is totally up in the air right now. I've got several non-hunting things happening that might seriously impact what I can and can't do in 2011 as far as bowhunting is concerned. So, for now I'll tell you that I'll likely be chasing whitetails and muleys, but don't have a clue after that. How about the rest of you? What's the plan for 2011?

I have been down in Missouri for work since September so I figured since I wouldnt get a chance to bowhunt MN all year I might as well try it down here. The hunting down here is amazing compared to what Im used to back home. I shot a doe the first time out and out of the 30 or 40 times I sat out there was maybe only 3 or 4 times I couldnt have got a shot at a deer. And the number of big bucks down here is unreal! I bet I have seen over 30 different 140"+ bucks down here since I arrived and this is just in a small area around the site I have been working on and the rut was unbelievable. I ended up missing a big boy and saw probably another 5 shooters while on stand. I ended up getting permission for some private land down here too from some good old farm boys, so I will definitely be back down next year during the rut.

I have been invited for the last 3 years to go on an elk hunt in Washington and it just hasnt worked out but I think Im going to make it happen this year. Depending on where I am working next year I might even get a chance to hunt another state, Im hoping its one with a few muleys running around laugh , but I will be happy with the other 2 hunts if thats all I get. Hopefully I get home a little more too next year so I can hunt on my old stomping grounds.

Not nearly as many as I'd like - that's for sure. Nothing really on the calendar yet but most likely a MN & NE turkey hunt, a SD whitetail trip, & hunting MN as time allows. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll get drawn for moose or the Mrs. will let me go chase some antelope around in SD.

Spring turkeys in Kansas. Will probably carry my bow some for my WS and MN turkey hunts as well.

My annual Black Hills trip in October plus as much bowhunting as I can get in in Minnesota. Hunted Ripley last year for the first time and will probably give that another shot this year.

I probably won't be going on many trips until the little ones get a little older. I do however have plenty to keep me busy trying to score a P&Y sized deer on my many MN public land honey holes.

I do have a buddy down in Missouri and plan on hunting with him one of these years, it's nice to confirm his reports of big bucks all over the place.

Hopefully watch the wife put a deer on the ground, this is her 3rd year and she has been putting in the hours.

I am trying to line up something out of state for me.

I would like to Iowa or Wisconsin Whitetails or Western Mulies or Antelope. A Bear hunt would be awesome too.

I plan to try get a gobbler this spring with my bow in ND. Then the normal archery season in ND and MN plus last week I was invited to hunt with a friend in Illinois. Now sure on any details yet but it looks like the last week in October or the first in November I'll head out there.

What's the plan for 2011?

A bit up in the air here as well Scoot. Montana passed the I161 bill and jacked up the elk prices and made it harder to draw in general, so we decided to look at Colorado this year. Probably going to head to some OTC areas and hope for the best. We know a few guys who hunt out there so hopefully we can get some helpful info from them.

I will deer hunt Wisconsin again. Not sure about MN, depends on if we get Ripley permits.

I also am planning on taking out my recurve a bit as well for deer. smile

A bit up in the air here as well Scoot. Montana passed the I161 bill and jacked up the elk prices and made it harder to draw in general,

Yeah, I'm pretty up in the air right now too. I've got some work obligations in mid to late Sep, so it doesn't look good for elk hunting for me. I REALLY want to go back to WY, but I refuse to go there when the timing's not good- no way I'm going to blow my PP's on an opening week hunt there. If all goes perfectly, I may do an OTC hunt very early in the season- either CO or ID. Not sure if I have the money or the time, but I'm thinking...

I actually think with the larger number of licenses available in the draw and the mass exodus from the application pool that MT will see this year, drawing odds will go up a lot. I'm sure this'll be the case for the general tag draw. I doubt those with lots of PP's will drop out now, but some will after they finally pull their tag. If you can stomach the very large jump in price, I think the odds will be better this year than last by far.

I just may not be archery hunting in North Dakota this fall for the first time in about 23 years. Alot of death will happen to the deer herd on the ranch we hunt this winter and maybe this spring with pneumonia if the area is wet from floods.

I believe I will take the year of in ND and go back to Minnesota hunting.

That hurts for me to do that.

Tom, if you and Clint are interested and able to come out to Western ND, consider the offer extended again. I know it's tough for your son to find the time for this, but if you'd like to hunt ND, it's something to think about. If interested, shoot me an e-mail.

Yeah, it's a sad deal in ND right now. Did you see the info about Streeter, ND? Hundreds of deer living in town because they can't survive out in their usual environment. It doesn't bode well for many of the deer in many areas of ND, particularly the bigger bucks.

Sorry, I derailed my own thread here! Plans for next year...

MN turkeys in May in the Wadena, MN area.

Bowfishing in May and 3d league during the summer.

WY antelope in Sept.

MN deer all fall. Sounds like my dad, brother, and I are gonna break out the stick bows, at least for the first part of the archery season. Gonna have to do a TON of shooting between now and then.

Brian

ill be going to school at Bemidji State next year so ill be hunting in all my spare time!

you are going to love BSU. it is a great area to hunt and fish i loved my time there i didn't get to hunt a lot while i was there because of football but i did a good amout of fishing. even though it is nice to sleep in take early classes so you can be done with school by early afternoon and ready for the evening hunts. good luck.

My plans for next year include:

Hopefully getting a crack at a MN turkey.

Not waiting til the end of the season to fill my management tag which caused me to eat tag soup this year.

Sticking a deer or two in my last full season of hunting in Frazee, MN.

Spending even more time than last year scouting, preparing, and hunting even if it gets me in trouble with the lady. smile