• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage broadhead

kevfish1

2 blade, haven't heard a lot of good things about the 3-blade, 2-blade seem to be much more dependable. Many I know shoot them, the wounds are devastating. I made the switch last year. But haven't had any personal experience with them yet.

60lbs bow should be fine at anything 25yds or under as long as the shot placement is behind the front leg and in front of the gut. I shoot Trophy Ridge(Rocket) sidewinder or hammerhead braodheads and have never had a problem with them opening. I check every time I go out that the broad head is free flowing and will open up and the blades are not stuck somehow. 11 deer in the past 12 years. Once you find something that works for you you will know. One thing with expandables you want to make sure you have a clear shot. No shooting through grass.

I hope you guys never expierience any of the rage horror stories that i've heard this year alone. And from guys that a year ago swore by them. My one friend sent his back straight to the company with a note stating he thought they should be illegal.

Why did he say they should be illegal?

I think every broadhead out there has its ups and downs. The shooter of the broadhead needs to confidence in what he/she is shooting for accuracy and sharpness.

I have shot 2 deer with the Rage 2-blade, blades re-acted fine for me.

1st deer with my 70 lb PSE bow at 22 yards, 2nd deer with my 60lb Diamond at 18 yards.

Everyone has to pick their posion, I tryed the 3 blade rage shot a doe at 7 yards broad head did not perform, so I went back to a fixed blade. Have heard lots of controversy on both sides of the expandable fence use what you feel works for you!!! good luck smack a big one.

I've been using the 2 blade for 5 years now and have shot two turkeys, a deer, and a bear. So far, everyone of them went down within 50 yards. I haven't experienced any problems and will continue to use them until I find a reason not to.

I have been using rage the last 3 years. two bladed ones. nothing ever went more then 40 yards a i would say. BUT out in sd this year big buck came by at ten yards and made the perfect shot just behind the front shoulder. i thought sweet he is going down fast. watched him run 40 yards and stopped and then took off like nothing hit him. i seen where it impacted the deer and everything. tried finding blood and looked at broadhead no blood on the cutting edge of the rage. 3 guys scouted out for 2 days and nothing but 3 drops of blood 100 yards away. Made the switch back to fixed blades from there on out. they were great but everyone knows how it feels when you have that one get away being unable to track and not knowing what happened. Guess this is why some states for elk hunting banned mechanical broadheads

Heres my opinion on the whole thing. Rage cut such a large hole that yes with lighter poundage(50lbs) you prolly wont get a pass through but with the size of the entrance whole its unnessesary. What i think is happening to alot of people that claim they "had a good blood trail and then nothin" is simply the fact that they make such a large whole u literally are tracking them on a flesh wound and probably hit them high in the dead spot gap or whatever you want to call it. bottom line is there is no way ive found testing the 2 blade from all angles and situations that they cant open, and if you hit em where ur supposed to they go under 100yrds and there done end of story. I've killed 9 deer with the 3blade swithed to the 2blade this year. The elk went 75 yrds, guy said it was the best blood trail he's ever seen on an elk in the 50+ he has tracked. Came home shot a doe through the opposite shoulder and it still stuck in the ground 4inches and the same case with the 3 other deer this year ive killed with them. So with 13 deer and an ELK killed with them, think its all a matter of placement and taking smart shots.

well my friend just shot a buck of a life time useing the rage 3 blade. he shoots a 70lb mathews drenalin and he shot the buck in the shoulder at 12 yards. let the deer sit over night and he tracked it the next morning. he found his arrow and it only penetrated in 3'' and stopped at the shoulder blade. the rage doesnt have the penetration or bone crushing power as other broadheads on the market.

Come on bullz, no broadhead is going to penetrate that big shoulder bone. I highly doubt he hit it merely in the shoulder blade, as most any bow/arrow combo will punch through the thinner part of that bone. As with most any broadhead discussion, it all starts and ends, with shot placement.