• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drop Away / Whisker Bisket

I would like to get a new rest for my bow, however I can't decide between a drop away or a whisker bisket style. While looking around local retailers, I saw a new rest which was a combination of the two. The arrow was held secure as with a whisker bisket, and the resistance free shooting of a drop away. Anyone own one of these? I can't remember the name, but thought they looked pretty slick. Kind of the best of both worlds.

CA

There are several full containment styles of drop-away rests available these days. Trophy Taker, Ripcord, Q.A.D. come to mind. All are good rests and I'm sure there are others out there. I wouldn't shoot anything else.

i changed from a drop to wisker. i cant say that i like the wisker better, actually think that if you are in a hurry and forget to line up arrow the correct way so the fletch goes out the opening, it make more noise. i am considering going back to my original set up.

Octane makes a rest like a biscuit but without having to have your fletchings go through the whiskers. Dont know anyone who has one but looks like a pretty good rest. I would still suggest going with a full containment dropaway like a QAD ultrarest or a Ripcord but both of these are around the $100 mark I believe but still worth it.

I started off with a bisket but have since moved up to a drop away. The bisket worked great to build up my conf. Once that happened I stepped up to the drop away and haven't looked back. I got a big increase of both accurate and speed in the drop away. Just my 2 cents.

Still using a bisket that is probably 8 years old, I haven't switched yet because my bow shoots great and its an ideal hunting rest. If/when I every upgrade I will probably give the QAD a serious look and keep my bisket as a backup. You really can't go wrong either way.

I never thought about the cold aspect to moving parts. Has anyone ever experienced any issues with a drop away in cold weather? I was planning on switching from a bisket to a drop away, but that makes me think twice seeing as I have still been hunting quite a bit in this colder weather.

(I don't mean to hijac this thread, but I do think the answers would be helpful information to the initial question.)

I have heard of more problems with whisker biscuits in the cold/snowy weather than with drop aways. The point is, when it gets cold and wet you have to pay attention to whatever gear you are using.

Personally, I have used both a drop away and a whisker biscuit. I am currently using a drop away and don't forsee going back to the whisker biscuit. The whisker biscuit is a good hunting rest, but it flies against the fundamental tuning issue of trying to avoid fletch contact. Its probably a non issue in most cases, but I would rather avoid the potential problem and use a drop away rest that provides arrow containment without the ever present issue of fletching contact.

For hunting purposes, the Limp Whisker Bizkit keeps you rolling, in the woods.........

Now move in, now move out

Hands up now hands down

Back up, back up

Tell me what ya gonna do now

Breathe in, now breathe out

Hands up now hands down

Back up, back up

Tell me what ya gonna do now

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (come on)

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (what)

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin' (yeah)

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin', rollin'

Move in, now move out?

Ok, I am lame, gotta run, been working to much this week....

I shot the wisker bisket for ten years and thought it was fine until I put a drop away on my bow. I was amazed at how much tighter my groups were at longer distances. When I practice I shoot a lot at 50 and 60 yrds to improve my form. It makes 40 yrds and closer seem like a chip shot. I truely was very happy I made the change and can't believe how much better my shooting is because of it.

I have never had any problem with it in the cold or any other weather conditions. Beleive me when I say I am hard on my gear.

i wonder if the bisket actually causes the back of the arrow to move just enough to throw off the group? i ran into the same thing and never thought about if it were wet and really cold if the wiskers would freeze or get stiff? that might cause some further issues with accuracy.

Huntfish TV what do you know about bow hunting!? j/k CrappieAttitude if you ever come on over to visit you can look at my Ripcord but my next bow may have the QAD or trophy taker but I will not go the wisker biscuit route for other reasons.

Meat-Run

(Huntfish.....hint out fish brainerd)

I had the biscuit at first but switched to a trophy taker drop. I had alot of problems with fletchings getting torn up and rippled and still had problems with them getting ripped off when I switched to blazers to cut down on the rippling. I put moleskin on the rest so it doesnt make any noise when drawing or falling. great rest for my first drop away but I would put a QAD on if I had the money.

all fletching gets compressed when shot through a biscuit. thats why plastic fletching gets rippled over time, from repeated compression. paper tune with feathers, and even they lay down and only leave a pencil hole in paper. ripcord all the way baby!