• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter 2010 Icefishing Reports and Ramblings

Opps I typed up a whole report last night and never hit Submit crazy

Hit a new lake on Wednesday from 9am-noon caught one 8" crappie, 5 perch 8-12"DSC00459.jpg

and about 25 gills/seeds of this size.

DSC00461.jpg

Hit up a new body of water (less than 6' deep) yesterday morning I was way off my game had 5 fish come in and smash my lure Broke off the first fish (2lb test ugh) and couldn't get the hook into the other 4. Was thinking maybe bullhead since they have very hard mouths?? Going to try again with meat(yes tipups) at some point.

Fished Bluegills from 1pm-3:30pm ended up with 6 nice keepers and 6 throwbacks also broke off a nice pickerel on 2lb test.

Got set up for walleyes at 4pm and fished till 7pm. Unfortunately all fish were gut hooked frown Had 7 flags a 16",19" and 21" walleye, a 10" perch and 3 flags from fallfish (minnows were chewed right up which is typical of fallfish)DSC00462.jpg

also the perch had about 20 of these little gills in its stomach. crazyDSC00467.jpg

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad start to a New Year. Not really, although the fishing was lousy the weather and company were great. Fished off the west shoreline of the perch pond today with two others. They caught some but the size was definitely not good for this body of water. I didn't really mark that many fish today and the ones I did appeared to be of the dink variety. When your lure signal shows up better than the fish signal, you know you are in trouble. I kept three only because it did not seem like they would survive and donated these to my friends pail. Left the lake with an empty pail, first time in a long time. Not a good way to start the New Year but then again it beats sitting around waiting for some "good ice".

I fished the backset early got about 20 gills, then went to the east end but nothing.Josh and I went to Caz from 2-430 on the south end never marked a fish and seen nothing on thecam. Proceeded back to first spot and got gills and crappie nice way to finish the nt off

Wheres the O lake slamfest report? whistle Just kidding...

Kirkville - I saw your question on Whitney Pt at that other place. Dont wast your time on that festering cess-pool. When its good, its real good. When its bad it's like Delta! sick

E-mail me ifin you want more...

Billy and I hit Kappy's grubby gill lake and had a nice afternoon yesterday. Each new hole would produce 3-6 medium gills then you had to cut another. It snowed the whole time we were there and there was a good 6 inches of snow on the ice when we left.

Timmy - the runners are great but she still plows through fluffy snow like dragging a deer and you still get that build-up between runners depending on snow type and temprature...

Car shopping update..

The 2000 Rav 4 Vehicle, 100,400 mi. was purchased at auction by dealer Oct 09. Originally purchased at Romano Toyota, one owner from Kirkland, NY. Car fax was as perfect as you could get..Original price $5995 when I was on the phone I told the guy we had $5000 and that was it. But he called back and said he was willing to work a deal if we came down and here's how that visit went yesterday..

As far as the Rav4 I was dissapointed a bit in the sales guy that even with a very short life left on the rear tires and a jerry rigged hangar on the exhaust he would not budge under $5600. It would have failed inspection because of burn't out license plate bulb and other than that it was in good shape. Free of rust except for some small areas in the engine compartment. Drove very well with all available options functioning properly. Brakes good, no visible leaks so basically other than the two crappy back tires and the butchered exhaust hangar which was affixed no kidding with computer plastic zip tiescrazy He still was stuck on $5600. Heather learned alot from being there with me as I am pretty good at brokering a break on car prices but this guy just wouldn't move an inch lower. That $5600 included the price to replace the two rear tires. So we left..

Kyle sent us a listing for a 05 Hyundai Elantra GLS that's newer and that has 64,214 mi. with a price of $6000 negotiable. She wants to look at that one next week, Thanks Kyle.. Anyone own a Elantra and how do you like it..

Hey CNY Tim.....How come when you talk Marcum you boast American made but when you talk cars you talk Jap and Korean?? confused

Altho tomorrow (Sunday) is supposed to be a rather snotty day weather wise, Ill be headin outta here in the am with a buddy that came in from Rochester. He hasnt been on the ice yet this year but is really lookin forward to it. Probly headin to one of the madison county bodies to find some perch and waldos. Wondering if anybody else got similar plans? Maybe we can hook up?? Call me or shoot me an email if your interested.

[email protected]

Kappy - It wasn't too bad of a drag but another few inches of snow and that place is a no-go. Wind gusts to 40mph the next few days...

IceGuy - You trolling, stirring the pot, or both?

All vehicles suck! Some flashers are better than others. Timmy's fishing with his friends but im sure he'll have a reply. Or maybe we should not feed the lurkers... I just lost 3 minutes of my life i'll never get back thinking about this post. sleep

IceGuy - You trolling, stirring the pot, or both?

All vehicles suck! Some flashers are better than others. Timmy's fishing with his friends but im sure he'll have a reply. Or maybe we should not feed the lurkers... I just lost 3 minutes of my life i'll never get back thinking about this post. sleep

Yup, just doing a little pot stirring......but flashers are like vehicles in as much it's personal opinion which one is best...sorry you lost a whole 3min of thinkin.....

Trust me I'd rather be fishing and giving real reports of fish I caught but due to 2 surgeries in the last 2 weeks I'll be a little delayed in getting out there

iceguy when your recovered from surgery and are ready to go hit the ice I have a few vacation days I can burn and travel unless there's 5-6" of snow on the roads I can bury it just about anywhere. grin Hope you have a speedy recovery guy it's tough being laid up when there's good fishable ice.

Caught a few gills today with Todd, Lee, Frank and his daughter and Kirkville's gang. Wind was tough with the snow, slush and wind. Trap did almost flip on me once.

Hit a nice bow today on a #4 YBD gold/glow with a smoke/red glitter Maki riding on the business end, hooked the bow right in the tip of the nose, great tustle on light line.

rainbows.jpg

Hexi-fly is working quite well in the heavy weed getting my waggle down on these, starting to be a real good bluegill search lure. This lure leaves a real nice mark with minimum gain in the heavy weeds and NBT. I'll try to send the pic off my phone to my email..

Kyle sent me a picture of a huge northern I believe he caught on 1 pd. test line and his St. Croix Legend still figuring out how he got that thing through the hole.

Great seein you guys as usual! Ill be headin to yellow tape tom. AM lookin for the early morning crappie.
Nice seeing you guys too make sure you have allot of propane and what ever you do don't take a ride with these soft winds we have crazy.

iceguy when your recovered from surgery and are ready to go hit the ice I have a few vacation days I can burn and travel unless there's 5-6" of snow on the roads I can bury it just about anywhere. grin Hope you have a speedy recovery guy it's tough being laid up when there's good fishable ice.

out how he got that thing through the hole.

Thanks for the get wells....DC and CNY Tim... when I recover maybe I'll head your way as I'm retired and don't want you to waste V-days and you can show me some hot perch and waldo spots.....Nice bow must have been a blast bringing that up on ice....

Originally Posted By: kirkville1
Great seein you guys as usual! Ill be headin to yellow tape tom. AM lookin for the early morning crappie.
Nice seeing you guys too make sure you have allot of propane and what ever you do don't take a ride with these soft winds we have crazy.

Yea i cancelled this morning too windy, did get the new shanty put together last night, Caitlyn's in it right now playin video games. I got the frabill trekker IIDLX weighs 5 lbs more than the nanook but WAY better seats and alot lighter than that voyager I had cry

If anyone is lookin for pros they still have some down @ maynards in norwich

Well I finally have a chance to post.It was nice meeting and fishing with you guys (Todd, Tuzzy, Jimmy, and Timmy) on Friday, even if the fishing was slow RJ and I still had a very good time. Hope we can join you guys again. Timmy let me know if your going to place another order for clothing RJ wants to get a sweatshirt he's been wearing mine all weekend. smile

Rick

Nice fish guys. Hit the ice this am around 8 am. Found lots of wind and lots of drifts 3 ft high to walk thru or around. Bite was slow but managed 8 big perch, 2 of which were my seasons best at 13", both were big females and the fatter of the 2 was released after a quick pic. Had the lake all to our selves after 10 am. Not to sure but I think the wind had something to do with it gringrin. Ice is still there at 5-7" but like I said, theres a lot of big drifts to contend with and still a few slushy spots.. Will post pic when it arrives in my email from my phone..

Nice posts and pictures everyone!

I haven't been doing much fishing...just keeping an eye the Family and relaxing.

I hope to get out soon and get the dust off the Vex and get into some Pike or some Tigers with the tip-ups. I got some 80# Gold Braided Line that is perfect for tip-ups or for jigging Perch.

Anyone got a line on where the big Toothy critters are confused

Thanks in advance and be safe...remember, always wear shoes in the house!

AW