• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter 2010 Icefishing Reports and Ramblings

AW - that is one fine performance - way to go!! I guess there still are decent places to fish in Madison County wink.

Thunder - the ice I was on was in great shape considering the recent weather. Still at least a good 4" of hard ice but that wasn't an actual measurment. Tim said that your personal preference is a little more than 4" and I think that will be no problem after today. Looking forward to getting together and hammering some jumbos. Maybe we can find time to stop for a bite to eat before we go out. What do you recommend - the McDonalds? smirk

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always seem to fish at least one of those hurricane trap kiting days, right Frank whistle

AW - That's aan outstanding report bro, smackdown is right! I am anticipating some enjoyment ice fishing Saturday TBD. With Tom being off maybe a New Years Day trip is in the mix as well.

Tyler - How is your girlfriend doing bro? I'll give you a ring in a little bit..

Nothing like a good breeze to air out your trap. It is funny to watch those poor guys on Oneida sail by you in their shanties. But like good Captains they refuse to abandon the ship!! Now if a light wieght exGF just happens to be in a shack and it blows over . . . well, that's funny.

Braved the wind this AM from 9:00 to 10:30 went to one of my big big gill spots that is very tough ice fishing and obviously didn't catch any gills. All the fish marked I caught, which included five 6" perch and a golden shiner. Ive gotta do more investigating I know they are hiding somewhere. In the spring you can catch 8-11" gills on almost every cast then come winter they disappear.

Sammy, Zach and I hit up the same GPS marks as yesterday and it was "Hammer Time" again. My first drop with the old faithful Swillow, a Jumbo rocketed up and Smashed it 17 feet off the bottom. (25.5 FOW) We ended up with another 'Darago limit, plus some. I can't see myself keeping and cleaning the normal Statewide 50 fish limit crazy

Today was honestly one of the coldest/windiest days I have ever fished. Was it worth it? Why, yes...yes it was cool

We did hit my Waldo spot on the way in for the bewitching hour and at 5:10, I wrenched a fatty 20 plus inch Marble Head to the hole and played..."I can't reach my transducer and flip it on the ice, because my heater would have melted it game" The Waldo popped the hook and sent it straight into the top of my Trap. Meanwhile the Waldo is sitting there off the bottom of the hole staring at me with it's fin in the air laughing. I can finally say that I have found consistent Waldos in Madison County laugh

Later...AW

AW - that is one fine performance - way to go!! I guess there still are decent places to fish in Madison County wink.

Thunder - the ice I was on was in great shape considering the recent weather. Still at least a good 4" of hard ice but that wasn't an actual measurment. Tim said that your personal preference is a little more than 4" and I think that will be no problem after today. Looking forward to getting together and hammering some jumbos. Maybe we can find time to stop for a bite to eat before we go out. What do you recommend - the McDonalds? smirk

Pman I was thinking more like the y m c aaaaaa wink

I hit my Waldo spot before dark this morning and got nothing by 45 min into daybreak. I then backed out to the Perch Grounds and proceeded to put the "Smack Down" on some Monster Jumbos. I stopped keeping fish after 30. The smallest was 9.5" and the largest was a touch under 13" and there were plenty of those (13"'ers) wink I also got a 10" Waldo around noon to put a smile on my face laugh It was like a great day on 'Darago!!! I only fished 2 holes to boot! Al ended up with close to 10 Jumbos as well.

I will post pics on your yahoo accounts tomorrow...after I get back on those 2 marks. The pressure systemm is going to be identical, so It will be another Jumbo Fest cool

Take care and be safe!!!

I am looking for the pics and can't find them what happen confused

Buddy and I hit the madison county ice today. Got some decent perch. Doug showed up around 10 and took us to school and really showed us how it was done. cool. Slushy in some spots but over all not to bad walking. Great day to be on the ice. Good fishing with you Doug. Looking to get out again..

Happy to hear you guys did well. Seems like the perch fishing in general has picked up this week. Might be able to get out tomorrow and have some fun. Wanted to post some pics from the other day but I am unable to register on the photo imaging site CNY Tim suggested or another site. Think it may have something to do with the firewall that was installed on my computer.

Thunder I like your recommendation for fine dining in the Richfield Springs area.

Nice going the last few days guys...

ThunderChum - Should be seeing you getting out soon? Plenty of ice. whistlegrin

We hit our crappie lake this afternoon. Drilled alot of holes and poked a bunch of fish. All sizes but most were nice. Need to work on Tanks camera skills though...

004hb.jpg

DC,I like that ice you are sitting on no snow on it cool.You gotta love those crappies, I am hopeing to get out tommorow for a while I have been exausted from driving the past few days about 1500 miles worth tired.

Tim, hows that toyota looking is it a deal?

Timmy - he was too busy catching fish to take more picts. Seems like every hole he cut was a good one. I had to cut 3-4 to find a decent one, wish it was that way all the time though wink

Tested out the new x-mas gifts today and im real happy with the Cabelas gore-tex parka and bibs. I tried on alot of bibs and jackets at the IceShow and was really not happy with them in general. Everything fealt bulky and or cut wrong. Guess im just so use to layering right that im happy with a wind/water proof layer without the bulk. I fished outside all afternoon and my hands will still be the reason to fish inside not what kind of outerwear I have. If we had brutal cold weather then that may change...

Thunder - pushing 8 inches of ice on that lake and no snow! grin

This is my first, and hopefully not my last, attempt to post a picture. If all works ok, this perch is representative of most of the ones we caught on Monday. Not a monster, but a nice solid fish nevertheless.

Tim thanks in advance for the picture posting instructions. King thanks for the photobucket reference. As I stated earlier I tried to register on some other image hosting sites but could not do it. I tried some things with my firewall so maybe that is why I was finally successful with photobucket.

perch1.jpg

Great fishing with you Callie and your buddy is a great guy and seems like he has fun on a regular basis cool

At one point today...you were killin' me. I was laughing my butt off when you 2 doubled up and Big Jonesy's fish got wrapped around the 'ducer while yours was wrapped around his fish cry The look on your face was priceless.

I ended up getting another 20 plus Jumbos after you left, but no Waldos would cooperate at the Night Spot mad

I will be at it again tomorrow...same bat spot...same bat channel whistle

Another great post Doug, your on a nice roll bro. Talked to Lee last night he wants to know what were doing Friday and has suggestions wink Call me at work when you get a sec..

I left my cell at home guys and I'll be at work today like Lee. crazy It's deader than a doornail here at the office. cool

Talked to Tuzzy this a.m. he's figthing a bad cold right now, told him to give me a shout when he starts feeling better.

Jay call me I want to ask you something about those nice new bibs. wink

Dave - I can't wait to see your pics when I get home.

I will be dropping Heather off at the thruway exit around 12:30 p.m. so she can spend sometime with her friends for New Years in Buffalo, kids...

Car shopping update..

The 2000 Rav 4 Vehicle, 100,400 mi. was purchased at auction by dealer Oct 09. Originally purchased at Romano Toyota, one owner from Kirkland, NY. Car fax was as perfect as you could get..Original price $5995 when I was on the phone I told the guy we had $5000 and that was it. But he called back and said he was willing to work a deal if we came down and here's how that visit went yesterday..

As far as the Rav4 I was dissapointed a bit in the sales guy that even with a very short life left on the rear tires and a jerry rigged hangar on the exhaust he would not budge under $5600. It would have failed inspection because of burn't out license plate bulb and other than that it was in good shape. Free of rust except for some small areas in the engine compartment. Drove very well with all available options functioning properly. Brakes good, no visible leaks so basically other than the two crappy back tires and the butchered exhaust hangar which was affixed no kidding with computer plastic zip tiescrazy He still was stuck on $5600. Heather learned alot from being there with me as I am pretty good at brokering a break on car prices but this guy just wouldn't move an inch lower. That $5600 included the price to replace the two rear tires. So we left..

Kyle sent us a listing for a 05 Hyundai Elantra GLS that's newer and that has 64,214 mi. with a price of $6000 negotiable. She wants to look at that one next week, Thanks Kyle.. Anyone own a Elantra and how do you like it..