• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter 2010 Icefishing Reports and Ramblings

Fished one of the bigger Madison County waters today. Solid 5 plus inches ...YES, 5 SOLID INCHES.

Sammy and I fished it yeaterday late afternoon into evening with a handful of jumbos. This evening I got one Jumbo and one Walleye at 15.25" right at dark on a Chubby. Smashed it!!!

I have found the Walleye bite on this Lake, I think.

This was the best ice I have been on in years. It was making the "Snap, Crackle Pop" song the whole time out.

Meet you there Monday before sunrise!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Tank, Billy, and I are heading south tomorrow afternoon to our little crappie lake. We were going to hit C but decided against it...

TimmyToe - good luck with vehicle search. Nothing worse than vehicle problems...

Aw - I made a batch of soup tonight for our x-mas eve meal. Wild mushroom and rice soup. I ended up with 6 kind of mushrooms, chantrels, hen of the woods, pipinki, balck trumpets, [PoorWordUsage]ake, and portabelas. It came out edible. cool

Cold and very windy this afternoon. Not being able to move around alot probably kept our numbers down but the 3 of us caught around 2 dozen each. Numerous year classes around but most were nice. Tank did pull one that was pushing 13 inches. 5.5 inches of solid ice...

001ppe.jpg

004kq.jpg

Took a ride to the north with the scout in the back of the truck. Found good ice and lots of perch. brought 20, 10-12"ers home. Wind was cold and was snowing sideways all morning.. Sorry no pics only had cell phone for pics and was to cold to use the little buttons...

Same as yesterday as King put on a fine perching display and dispatched a limit of nice keepers by 11:30 a.m.

11:30 I was home before 11:30 smile

Good fishing with you Dave and Timmy again. Monday was just another decent morning spent at the office. Also picked up this pretty little guy. A surprise in 18 fow.

DSC00410.jpg

Tuesday started @ 7:15am done @ 9:15am all fish were 9"-12" but most were 9-10" and about 100 dinks between 6-9". Not bad as I got to work when I was planning too. smile

Tuesdays Avg keeper

DSC00418.jpg

Today was a different story started at 7:15am but didn't finish with a limit until 12:30pm although the take home was much nicer. All fish were 9"-12" but most were 10-11" and again had to weed through about 100 dinks which ran smaller 3-9".The prettiest perch so far this year.

DSC00423.jpg

We will see what tomorrow morning brings.

Friday looks like the lady and I are going out for a couple of hours in the morning will be her first ice trip of the year and first trip with her new IDI suit, hopefully the fish are still there as she just wants to practice catching.

Saturday will be searching for the big girls and Sunday evening will be in search of walleye and those smallmouth.

King - got a late night invite to go out today. Will be fishing with 3 others so we will be across the lake from you. I would say good luck but you clearly don't need any. Some real nice fish there. It was a good time fishing with you and Timmy, looking forward to some great outings next week.

Wishing you and your lady a very Merry Christmas.

Well went out today and every hole I drilled I was able to mark fish but it was a tough bite today. Had to work hard to get a hit,but was able to ice 4 fat tasty Perch, all in the 10.5 and 13" range. I love the fight a perch gives. Great fighters for their size. Had 5.5 to 7" of black ice covered with 4" of snow and slush.

Fished Bakers today with my friend John. Easy walking, tough fishing. Some light fluffy snow on the ice but really no problem to move around. Covered a vast amount of territory in a relatively short period of time but couldn't get away from the dinks that seemingly have infested the lake. Fished shallow and deep, ice appears to be uniformly thick at about 5" in all of the places we visited today. Ended up with 12 nice keepers, but only two that I would consider "slammers". A ratio of about 10 dinks to every keeper is what I encountered today. I know, I know, for those of you that can do the math that means I caught over 100 perch today and that is absolutely correct. There is literally a ton of 5" to 7" perch in the lake.

Spoke with CNY Tim before we left the lake and he briefly walked me thru the zoom feature on the LX5. This is only the 2nd time I've used the unit so I haven't really had the opportunity to fully explore its features. I had no idea that the zoom was anything at all like it is. Gonna be some real good times in the future with this sweet machine. smile

Good going Dave you put in the effort and was rewarded with a nice batch of fish.

I changed things up today and fished bluegills from 8:15am (yes I woke up late frown ) until 11:45am ended up with a nice mess of bluegills from 8"-9 1/2" and one 11" perchie. This one wasn't the longest but it had the biggest shoulders smile

DSC00434.jpg Brought the Lx-5 but never used it water was clear enough to sight fish ( I could see my jig vanish but couldnt always see the fish.) Gotta love it.

The schedule for the next three days hasn't changed much. Might add a trip out for walleyes Christmas night especially since this storm is rolling in.

King you amaze me. I guess you got tired of catching all of those small perch smile. Great gills, to get a bunch that size means you are on your game. I haven't caught many that size in at least the last two years.

Know exactly what you mean about sight fishing. Definitely gets the adrenalin flowing. Dealing with bluegills that size in shallow water is something else. They put up a hell of a fight. Fishing with your eyes instead of a locator also means you won't be setting the hook on that shovel handle that is eyeing your lure.

Great catch of some quality fish. Have a nice Holiday, maybe I'll see you next week.

That picture came out so nice - maybe you can sell it to Marcum to use as an advertisement.