• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Wife's First Whitetail - 9/29

sticknstring

I knew right away when I met Kathleen a little over two years ago that she was the ONE. After dating for 4 months, I bought her a bow for Christmas and after a few lessons, she's quite honestly a better shot than me. shocked With a few turkeys and some confidence under her belt, she decided it was time for a new challenge... whitetails. I couldn't get her in the woods fast enough! We sat a few times together with no deer sighted and I was worried she would lose interest. At the end of October, she had a close encounter but wasn't able to make the best of the opportunity. Then it got cold and that was it for the year. Maybe next year I'll get one she told me. smile

Fast forward to this season. We did quite a bit of shooting in the backyard all summer long and were patiently awaiting opening weekend. We sat once opening week in a double-ladder stand and saw a fawn at 80 yds but nothing close. With the temps and wind dropping yesterday, I asked her if she wanted to hit the woods after work and sure enough, we were headed to the stand. She had her bow & I had the video camera. It was a beautiful cool calm evening. Squirrels entertained us until 7:15 when a dark figure emerged nearly downwind of us. I spotted the deer which was already at 30 yds and told her to get ready. At 25 yds I had her draw and hit record on the camera. The moment I've been waiting for since she opened that shiny new bow was unfolding in front of us. The doe was cautious but continued toward the stand. After holding draw for a good 30 seconds the doe walked into the shooting lane & I stopped her with a muuaahh. Earlier we had deciphered a code of taps; 1 being to draw and 2 was to shoot. But there no need as she was on cruise control. The second I stopped her, the glowing Lumenok'd arrow was on its way! The doe didn't go far and after a few hugs we were on the ground to retrieve her first whitetail, a fine mature doe that will forever be a trophy to the both of us. Not bad for a woman who's 2 months pregnant eh? grin Now that she's gotten hers under her belt, I can start working on punching a tag or two! Way to go honey!

katdeer6_700.jpg

katdeer7_700.jpg

katdeer8_700.jpg

Kat4_crop700.jpg

Kat6_700.jpg

Ahh, that will be a deer you remember for a longgggg time. All 3 of you got to experience it. You will have to ask Jr what he remembers about it when he is older.

Many times the best trophies are not giant antlers and this sure sounds like one of them!

Get her a really nice picture of this to hang on the wall for her birthday or Xmas or something. Maybe tan the hide? Just some thoughts.

I think that is the greatest. Congrats. I had a suprise this last week when my wife asked me if I could take her hunting next year!!! I produly exclamed HECK YEAH! She said not this year cause the girls are kind of young to be dropping off at grandma's 304 times a week so we could go hunting but she really is pumped. I even got her a new bow sunday.

Nice story and pic's Congrats to both.

Froggy.

thats sweet stick, awesome story. congrats to the both of you also. I'm sorry to hear that the mrs is a better shot than you. I pride myself on being a pretty decent shot. but my fiance' got into bowhunting last year, as she loves hunting, and she as well is a better shot than me! i guess i'm a better coach than player grin its really hard getting embarrassed at the ranges though, cause when people start paying attention, or my buddies start rubbing it in, she out shoots them too!! from 20-50 yards! and I shoot 5 times more than her.

are girls actually better shots?! confusedblush

Awesome story!!! and to get it on camera is that much cooler that way you can watch it over and over! i hope i can tell a very very similar story after this weekend since i just bought the gf a bow this past spring and we are trying to get her her first deer plus we got a camera so hopefully it will come together.

Vister i believe girls are better shots! When i bought the girlfriend a bow this year she shot a total of 4 arrows her first 4 shots ever and already was nailing the center dot on the target. They guy at my bow shop laughed and said yup i see this all the time, girls are better shots then guys from the start. not two weeks after she had her bow she got a robbin hood at 20 yards.. not bad