• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many pounds are you shooting?

tracker x-2

I shoot 74# out of my hunting bow have allways shot that that high of poundage and allways will unless a injury will stop me and sunday night tested that with having to hold at full draw for about 2 minutes till she step out from behind the oak she was feeding on too offer a clear shot on the vitals and now it's in the freezer. It's not the ego to shoot that high of draw wieght it just the energy it produces.

I've got my bow set at 75#'s. It seems like a lot now days with the great performance bows can deliver, but back in the day when bows weren't as efficient everybody seemed to be shooting heavy poundage and I never quit. I've got 2 XI Legend Mag's with 85# limbs in the basement gathering dust. For me 75#'s isn't a lot. I've never come close to getting hung up while drawing on game animal, and I hunt late season in the brutal cold. If you have a decent build, good form, and shoot all the time 75#'s should be easily doable. I was shooting a 75# bow when I was 140# teenager, it's not about being muscley, it's about having proper form and shooting a lot.

Lots of folks are chiming in to say that at 55#'s there arrows are slicing through deer (and I believe them), I shoot as heavy a poundage as I can shoot comfortably not because I want the arrow to stick 12" inches into the dirt after zipping through the rib cage, but becuase I want it to break the front shoulders if I miss forward, or snap the spine in 2 if I miss high. Works for me.

just like charliepete said I shoot 70# because of the energy it produces I like to know that my muzzy can blow through bone if it needs to. plus if you are going to jump on the rage band wagon you need all the power you can get to get a pass through. And I dont care what anybody says about getting pass throughs with lower poundage if you dont have some zip in your arrows they will not pass thru period.

Draw weight is personal choice thing... Got mine set around 71-72# and shoot carbon arrows with a savage pendalum sight... Spot on at 0-40 yards.. Yeh a little tough to hold after a minute but I have noted when hitting leaf or twigs it holds tragectory better.

I'm 5'-6" weigh 155, 56years old.

I used to weight train years back and still in good shape.

I have a 67# draw weight that I can pull easily in any position.

My bow is rated 60-70 and shoots good at that draw weight.

I say keep the poundage that you practiced with all year and to keep practicing all bow season. Too many people stop practicing when the season starts. Then they start losing there strength and form after a long layoff of not practicing.

Point is "keep practicing during the season"!

Finlander,

That is a really good point. It's funny I go to a public range near my house and it is really busy pre-season starting in Aug. there are times you have to wait for a bail. Now that the season has started I literally have not seen another shooter when I have been there. People definitely tail off once the season starts.

Also shooting 65...I've been thinking of dropping just a few pounds cuz my let-off is only 65% and I do start to get the shakes after holding back 30-45 secs...maybe I should hit the weight room instead!

Do you folks think a bow is louder when it is dialed down to the low end of its draw weight range? What are the performance issues associated with using the low end?

the lack of shooters could also be due to the amount of hunters that buy new gear, arrows, bows, etc, so they go to public ranges with large bails to get dialed in until they can stay home and shoot their block in the back yard. but, there are people who quit shooting once the season is here, and they cant figure out why they wound and miss deer half way through the season. i wonder why! i try to shoot every other day, just 4 or 5 arrows each time. yesterday at noon, i shot one arrow at the block into the wind, as my stand faces NW. the best wind i can have for my stand. but i couldn't hold her steady for nothing, as the wind was too gusty, so i decided not to go to evening stand, and possibly have to risk holding steady on a shot with them gusts blowing in. and that was at 20 yards that i was having issues holding steady into the wind!

but to stay on topic, i shoot 71 lbs.

ya huntin steel armored elephant! grin i used to shoot 80 lbs, and could not get an arrow to fly without fishtailing for the life of me.

smile

Just joking. Wanted to see what kind of replies I would get. I've got my reezen set at 59lbs.