• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Hunting Photos

harvey lee

Thanks everyone! I was a little skeptical putting up a post being such a rookie, but I feel very welcomed. I am looking forward to alot of close encounters, maybe one will be a buck. I will let you all know how it goes. Keep the great info coming, I have alot to learn...like, how far do you go to be scent free? I have looked at some of the scent loc and "freak nasty" attire, and honestly, someone could spend their 401k trying to prevent their scent...what do you recommend for me? So far my routine is a shower with scent killer soap, scent killer deodorant, and I wash my clothes in scent free wash with UV killer. When I get out of the car I spray down with a cover scent "earth scent"...what else?

I will say that I don't have my stand much higher than 12 ft, I get too paranoid not having something attached to the ground, not to mention, those steps are sooo close to the tree.....but ladder stands are such a pain to haul out there...remember, I hunt alone. My dad used to hunt with me but his health won't allow anymore. He hit 79 last year and still insisted on helping me hang my stand. It's hard seeing him try to climb on tree steps because he's worried about ME....

Will I get a deer if I'm only 12 ft up?

Oh, and I am using RAGE 2 blade XE's because Gander set my pull at 42lbs....should I worry about them opening up? I don't want to add the possibility of that to all the other things I am worrying about.....any suggestions will help. Thanks!

I have alot to learn...like, how far do you go to be scent free? So far my routine is a shower with scent killer soap, scent killer deodorant, and I wash my clothes in scent free wash with UV killer. When I get out of the car I spray down with a cover scent "earth scent"...what else?

You can get as carried away as you like with the scent free stuff. Sounds like your routine is pretty good. Personally, these days I spend a lot more energy just trying to stay downwind. Nothing beats that.

I RARELY climb higher than 12', and often hunt from the ground. Yes, you can kill deer from 12' up.

you will....be patient, persistent, and hang in trees that offer "cover" since you won't be very high up! !

try to pick trees that either have branches, leaves thru winter (red oaks), or multiple trunks.

good luck!

ok, so here's my set-up...gravel road 100 yards in front(west), 2acre marsh 150 yards right(north), another 50 yards behind (south) and across the road in front of me is one of only two dry crossings across a floating bog about 40 acres in size. Deer regularly cross front/back of me( w to E) and again front to back 75 yards to the north. When they cross north of my stand, they usually come south to the Pasture 200 yards away, which would bring them behind me.

Basically, I am in a funnel that is kind of shaped like an hourglass with two straws letting the sand through....does that make sense?Stand is in a group of 3 trees that spring from the same roots in a "v" It is a great spot, but seems like it is feast or famine. either there is lots of movement or zilch. Today I had my first Easterly wind, and guess what? had a nice doe come in about 40 yds south of me, she mosied around heading kind of parallel, then she bedded down about 30 yards away and upwind of me. It was really cool. I tried a fawn bleat, nothing. She stayed there about 15 minutes then got up shook herself off and mosied off away from me. After that I saw the telltale "alls clear" tail wagging from two others that were about 60 yards away in the really thick stuff. I can make a pretty good grouping at 30 yards, but she never gave me a good shot, and when she bedded down it was right beyond a tree that had snapped but not broken off all the way so it angled down at about 90 degrees. I could see her head and that was it. Really enjoyed being held hostage by her as she was facing directly at me when she bedded. Bowhunting is really going to be addicting.

I had NO idea how addicting.

Oh, and when I walked out, there were 3 more crossing the road at the other spot, 15 minutes later they probably walked under my stand.....something to dream about....can't wait till the rut really kicks in, there are a good dozen does in a 40 acre area at any given time....should be fun. smile

Took this buck at the end of the day today. Caught him working between two bedding areas. Not a slammer but im happy. Had a large easy to follow 80 yard blood trail...

full-1130-2521-016.jpg

full-1130-2522-018.jpg

You cant tell from these picts but its the same buck as this trail cam pict. The tip of his right beam has a buggered up spot. We have more picts of him but they are on memory sticks that are in the woods...

full-1130-2523-085.jpg

Thanks everyone! I was a little skeptical putting up a post being such a rookie, but I feel very welcomed. I am looking forward to alot of close encounters, maybe one will be a buck. I will let you all know how it goes. Keep the great info coming, I have alot to learn...like, how far do you go to be scent free? I have looked at some of the scent loc and "freak nasty" attire, and honestly, someone could spend their 401k trying to prevent their scent...what do you recommend for me? So far my routine is a shower with scent killer soap, scent killer deodorant, and I wash my clothes in scent free wash with UV killer. When I get out of the car I spray down with a cover scent "earth scent"...what else?

I will say that I don't have my stand much higher than 12 ft, I get too paranoid not having something attached to the ground, not to mention, those steps are sooo close to the tree.....but ladder stands are such a pain to haul out there...remember, I hunt alone. My dad used to hunt with me but his health won't allow anymore. He hit 79 last year and still insisted on helping me hang my stand. It's hard seeing him try to climb on tree steps because he's worried about ME....

You cannot beat a ground blind. It helps with scent issues too.

Hey boys

Picked up an 11 Friday night. Not much time so I will keep things short and sweet, lots of scouting + waiting for the right time/wind paid off big time on this public land swamper. Saw tree shaking 20 yard from his bed and grunted him into range, I thought I jumped him on a short tracking job but it must have been another deer because I found him 10 yards from where I was standing the night before when me and a budding showed up the next morning. He scored about 130 green/gross.

full-24806-2724-deer2010.jpg

Congrats bear cant beat the little one in the pic way too start them young thats our future and by the looks of yours we have nothing to worry about. Also who relly cares about score if it makes you happy fills the freezer or looks good on the wall thats all that matters. I wish your quiver will allways be full and your tags will be filled.