Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slimngrizzly

Handy things in/on your boat???

39 posts in this topic

Just kinda curious fellas...

Im always trying to keep my boat well equipt with what myself or everone with me needs while out fishing. Handtowel, pliers, scissors, minnow net, can cooler, rod holders, etc. (for example: I cant bite line, so its a bugger to fish with someone who doesnt have a clippers in the boat!) I make sure one is always there.

What little things have any of you added on to your boat, or do you make sure you have in it, that just makes a day on the water easier and more ejoyable?

Thanks for any ideas!

With all the snake northerns in the area lakes. I always make sure a jaw spreader and needlenose pliers is handy. SunScreen, bugscreen, Sunglasses, coolers with refreshments, a spare battery, flashlight...

Some good answers already.

I keep several scissors or cutters for superbraid handy throughout my boat --- I also keep a jaw spreaders and several needlenose pliers handy. And a fish ruler.

Spray bottle with water and 20% white vinegar, and a soft towel - great for water spots on the boat and on the locator screens.

Snacks and toys if the kids will be along, you need to keep them busy and happy ......

Some of the handiest tools I have are:

Co Pilot for my Minkota

Mesh leech and Minnow tamers- Just keep in livewell and minnows stay fresh all day

Berkley Superline Cutters-Worth every cent

Snowmobile helmet- Rain drops suck at 45-60 mph

Gulp crawlers and floating crawlers- more and more they replace the reel thing on my spinners

Stowmaster blow horn- just a puff from your mouth sends a huge blast of horn noise. As loud as some can models and cheaper and you never run out of air with the manual horn

Shamy- dry everything off and then just twist dry. Always there when ya need it and works great on drying everything on the boat.

Portable power pack- 12 volt charger on it, jumper cables, light and air pump. Must have for the truck and boat. Easier to store than jumper cables.

standard & philips screwdrivers

small socket set

spare fuses

hankerchief(s)

quart of oil- in case you forget to check your reservoir

plastic leech totes- works good to throw a handful of minnows in there for the other end of the boat away from the bucket- when you're using minnows- also doubles as a pee pail so I don't have to do the balancing act at the gunnel

extra rain jackets- sometimes your buddy forgot his or it gets cooler & windier than expected- less diehard buddies may not own one

Couple things I always keep in mine that weren't listed above...

bug dope

extra glasses

extra hat

coat/sweatshirt

extra plug

extra rope

I'm a big fan of good heavy duty hook cutters, just in case. I'd hate to have to use some of the smaller, cheaper cutters to cut a treble out of my hand, or other appendage.

Fish measuring tool

Can cooler

Hook outs and hook cutters

Extra boat plug

Flashlight

Tow rope

Extra prop

Spare set of rain gear

Hoodie

Fish towels

First aid kit

Fish towels

No Scent Soap

Tool Kit

Extra Screws, Bolts Electrical Connectors

First Aid Kit

Sun Screan

Ibuprofen & Tums

Camera

Scale

Headlamps

Flood Light

Small Flashlights

Extra Boat Plug

Extra Spark Plugs

Needle Nose Pliers/Hook Outs

Heavy Duty Jaw Spreader

Sun Glasses

Raingear

Sweatshirt

Extra Rope

AA Batteries

Small Livewell Net

Prop Wrench

Extra Prop & Prop Nut

Extra Light Bulbs for Boat Lights

Clippers

Scissors

Icecream Bucket

Here is a couple of things I keep that have not been posted. I keep spares of all fuses for the boat and the motor. Even spare tilt and trim fuses. Spare gps puck have had a couple go out in the past. trolling motor props. Game on in 12 days!!

a little trick I learned is when the milk jug gets emptied --rinse it out good and put it in the boat so when you're in a crowded spot or way off shore and you have to tinkle or the little boys have to go they have a spot to go without trying to pee of the gumwall

I rig up my Marker Bouys with different lengths of line on them so the marker will stay exactly where I throw it. I have one with 20 feet of line and one with 30, and one with 50+.

If you throw out a marker in 15 feet of water on a windy day, in about 1/2 hour all the line will unravel and your marker will have moved 35-40 feet from where the anchor is. The fish might still be by the anchor, but now you're fishing in the wrong spot cuz the marker unraveled. D'OH!!

Plus then you (or others going by your marker) are less likely to get tangled in the string.

spot light, marine radio, stereo with xm sat. (ball games and country music) seatpost rod storage/rack, toolbox (to help the other guy that breaks down), 12 volt water pump with hose, first aid kit.

12v water pump is a good idea.

I'm also going to keep a shammy in the boat now too.

Lots of great ideas there! Thanks for all the input. Im going to get a bottle with the water/vinegar. Ive always wondered the best way to clean off those dang LCD screens!

Thanks!

A giant battery opperated clock on the bow of boat.. I have a couple buddies that all they worry about is what time it is!! Well should we pack it up!! Let's leave before prime time!! They do this even when we have the camper or are in a cabin!! This year we'll bring a small raft with so they can go into shore and ask what time it is ..

Gulp leeches. So you will never run out. Ran out of a half pound container of live leeches on mille lacs two years ago on opener. Never will this happen again!

Two other important things that I bring with:

1. a kitchen sink--so that I can truly say that I've thrown everything at them.

2. a notary republic--to verify my catches! grin

For a buddy of mine from the Fall Frenzy at Appeldoorns last year... an Extra Boat Key. In case the grand kids are playing in the boat and grab it out... Saves the 2hrs trek back home to get the key. Bad way to start a fun weekend!

fire extinguisher! who'd a thunk it, but had to use one before. envelope/letter opener. the one with a tapered toothpick looking deal leading to a razor. by far the best way cut braided line. and the pick end of it works fabulously for pickin out them dreaded birdnests in baitcasters. spark plug wrench, in case she floods and ya need to remove plugs and turn it over to expell excess gas.