• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unloading a Bunk Trailer

Yellow Dog

I was talking to some guys with a bunks and roller trailers and the discussion got to how you unload and load.

The bunk guys swear that you NEVER unhook the bow strap as you are backing down a ramp. I know that for rollers--FOR SURE.

But why leave a bunk hooked up???????

As a just in case measure. Most bunks will never move but hitting the wrong bump on the wrong slope could make you look pretty red in the face. Remember "what can go wrong will go wrong".

I always leave it hooked up right until I get the back of the truck just out of the water. Then I get out unhook it and then back in and let it float off with the person on the dock holding the rope. As far as loading with the bunks is really easy. We have it figured out with our boat trailer to have about an inch of water above the fenders. Then we just coast into the trailer and give it the smallest bump on the throttle and we are done. Don't need to over power the motor, just back in another foot.

I unhook the boat on my bunk trailer at the waters edge (no getting wet). It would have to be a big bump and very steep incline to move the boat on the dry bunks and I have never had a boat move.

Loading I always have to crank up a few inches and it's much easire to do while in the water so it is always hooked up when leaving the water.

I've always had bunks... at that I will either leave the winch strap hooked, or depending on the particular trailer, just throw the bow anchor in the bed of the truck... my bunks have always been sticky, although I know how a buildup of ice or algae, or worn bunk carpet can change that in a hurry... I'd think the heavier boats would stick more on dry bunks, however I can horse my 14' alum on the trailer by hand, so I think that under the right circumstances it's slide pretty easy... I'm thinking some of those steep river ramps in particular \:\)

i leave the strap hooked up ( i'm usuaully am by myself) , but do let out a couple of ft. of strap so i can unhook easier once in the boat. after talking to some of the guys here, i found i can winch my 17 ranger up snug if i back the trailer into the water far enough so the bunks are completely wet.

Good topic. This is just what I have been worrying about lately.

BTW, Hi all! New to this forum. Just bought my first bassboat and I always wanted to hear what others did with unloading. My brother in law who owned the boat before me always unhooked it, then backed her in. Now that I own it, I fear it sliding off frown

Like mentioned before, it would take a lot to slide a boat off a dry bunk. I have a 1850 Crestliner with a 150 on the back and it's not moving until it's wet. It's hard to winch it up when it's wet and in the water even. A previous boat was a 16 foot with a 50hp on the back and same thing...never budged.

Just took my 2008 Smokercraft with Easyload Smokercraft bunked trailer out to the lake for the second time yesterday. I'd would leave it hooked up if I were you. I was on a steep incline and saw my boat rocking a little on the trailer. It does seem like the Smokercraft is rear end heavy and probably the cause of the rocking. But it's always better to be safe than sorry and it's not like it takes too much of an effort to unhook it down on the water.

Good luck fishing guys and gals.

GO GET THE BIG ONES!!!!!

I think it has a lot to do with the weight of the boat. I have short loaded and regardless of wet bunks and an extra guy we could not move the boat even 1/4" so had to re-enter the water and re-load. Love bunk trailers though. Good Fishing!!

The weight of the boat, the size/style of bunks, the incline of the boat ramp, and the condition of the boat ramp are what you need to consider. If the ramp is solid one piece concrete it's not a big deal, I'd unhook it. If the ramp is made up of spaced out concrete slabs I would leave it hooked till the boat is in the water. The wrong bump can have you dialing your insurance company. Why take the risk? However, On quality accesses and heavy fiberglass boats, there's about a .0001% chance that thing is going to slide off.

I've got a Lund Explorer 1675 w/75hp on bunk trailer. I always leave the hook until I am at the water's edge and then unhook and hook up bow line (if I am not driving off). Coming out I always hook up and tighten and put on safety chain before coming out of the water. Probably don't need to do so but likely a carry-over from a roller trailer I had and it doesn't hurt anything or take any longer.

I think i'll try leaving mine hooked, just to see what the hassle if any might be. Besides, i'll be fishing with a good friend of mine who hasnt had much experience backing boats in.

Better safe then sorry I think is the best advice in this topic smile

Here is a tip for bunk trailers. Swing back by the ramp and spray your bunks with Camp Dry or any silcone based water repelant once your bunks have dried off in the sun. Makes loading and unloading alot easier. Better keep that safety chain on thou makes pushing the boat off and cranking it up alot eisier on shallow ramps. One aplication will last about a season.

My 19' aluminum slides off the bunks pretty easy. Trailer was new last july. The only time I actually had a problem unhooking before backing up was last winter when the bunks were icy. Then the boat slid real easy.

2 weeks ago I saw 2 nice older gentlemen down in red wing put the brand new never been wet alumacraft on the pavement. I felt so bad for the guy... And even more for is buddy. This boat had rollers and the other guy (buddy of new boat owner) has a bunk trailer. He thought he was helping his buddy out by uncliping chain and winch. needless to say as he was backing down the boat started rolling and boat stopped at a 45 against motor and trailer. My buddy and I helped them out getting back on trailer and into water, seemed like motor ran fine for them. Also saw similar thing on MIlle Lacs couple years ago at public landing south of Myr Mar.

It would be hard to move 3000 lbs of boat on 16 ft carpeted bunks but just in case I let out 2 1/2 ft of strap and then lock off the winch and back'er in slow and she floats to exactly where it's easy to start the big motor then unhook the strap and gently pull her off or push away depending on the landing. I always make sure she's running good before I take the strap off unless I have someone with. I learned that the yamaha is very reliable it's the battery that can go dead and you can just cranker back on and get out of the way. ( note to self turn switch on GPS off).

I had a bunk trailer with an older aluminum boat that was hard to load/unload. I bought some of these hard plastic sliders to put on the bunks - BIG difference - you could push it off with ease. I still think you can get them at the big box fishing stores.

They are called E-Z slide pads