• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Cameras

Lip_Ripper Guy

I haven't paid much attention to these in the last several years, but it's time for an upgrade from the Aqua Vu ZT.  It'll spend 75% of it's life plugged into the TV on the wheel house, so I'm thinking I don't need a big screen on the unit itself.  The other 25% of the time we use it checking for structure and weed lines before we set the wheel house down.    

What should I be looking for/any suggestions?

I found a used Marcum VS825SD on facebook that was pretty reasonable.  So far I've only used it in open water off the dock on a farm pond, but I'm pretty happy with it.  I've seen them come up for sale on different facebook fishing pages quite a bit.  Shouldn't be too hard to find if you're willing to go used.

http://www.scheels.com/shop/scheels-catalog/MarCumreg-VS625SD-Underwater-Camera-System-15588-VS625SD5-W4

Top of the line Marcum components with just a smaller screen.  Exact same expensive Sony Super HAD II Camera, sensor, and other components as their $750 VS825 but it has a 6" screen instead of an 8" screen.  Includes the camera panner which is awesome to control the camera position.  I have the VS625 in my Yetti and absolutely love it.  It switches from color to B&W automatically in low light conditions for improved viewing conditions (you can change it back to color if you don't like the B&W). 

Marcum, Aqua Vu, Vexilar and others all have some great cameras. Most will have an RCA video connection to connect to your Wheel House TV. Marcum and Aqua Vu both offer a remote compass panner.

The St. Paul Ice Fishing show starts this Friday 12/2 through Sunday at the River Center in St. Paul. All of the camera vendors will be at the show. Might be a good place to look at all them in one location.

http://www.gsevents.com/shows/display.cfm?showID=56&showtypeid=3&src=345&sfid=73

I was in the same boat as you lip ripper. I needed one mainly for the wheelhouse and scouting. I was at cabelas and picked up a marcum vs485c for 350 it has the same camera as the more expensive 825 but a smaller screen.I also got a wireless panner for an extra 70. Hooked to my 50 inch in the house it worked great take that for what it's worth. Not a lot of help but thought I would throw in my 2 cents

Several years back I bought a b/w underwater camera from a company called c-fish that you could set to continuously rotate either right, left or set whichever direction you want. I really like the ability to be able to see 360 degrees and remotely operating the camera. 

A few years back I bought a color panning camera on hsolist and as a whole the unit seemed better but the camera itself can only go 360 degrees and then has to go back the other direction as opposed to the other camera that would continuously turn in whichever direction you set.I don't like that part as well but both are better than trying to adjust it by hand and the camera rotates in the housing so you don't need that panner set up over the hole like a marcum.

TB2p6SHbFXXXXXDXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!404409158.jpg

One really nice thing that some of the upper Marcums have is depth and direction. After having it I wouldn't buy another one without it. I really dislike Aqua-Vu because I had a really bad experience(s) with the micro series units (complete garbage).

I'm sure you know this but if you didn't they all turn to B&W when the light level gets too low.

If I was to buy a new one today I think it would be the Marcum Recon 5+

Edited by vtx1029

Is the camera that comes with the LX-9 considered Marcum's best camera?  Or do some of their upper end "camera only" models have an even better grade camera?   I'm hoping that buy getting their LX-9, I got their best camera available?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:01 AM, YettiStyle said:

http://www.scheels.com/shop/scheels-catalog/MarCumreg-VS625SD-Underwater-Camera-System-15588-VS625SD5-W4

Top of the line Marcum components with just a smaller screen.  Exact same expensive Sony Super HAD II Camera, sensor, and other components as their $750 VS825 but it has a 6" screen instead of an 8" screen.  Includes the camera panner which is awesome to control the camera position.  I have the VS625 in my Yetti and absolutely love it.  It switches from color to B&W automatically in low light conditions for improved viewing conditions (you can change it back to color if you don't like the B&W). 

So what is the difference between the VS625 and the VS625SD models ?

1 hour ago, kudu63 said:

So what is the difference between the VS625 and the VS625SD models ?

There isn't a difference to my knowledge.  The VS625 is the VS625SD, Scheels just left off the "SD" in the title apparently.  In the link I posted you'll notice the actual model number - "scheels.com/shop/scheels-catalog/MarCumreg-VS625SD-Underwater-Camera-System-15588-VS625SD5-W4"

I enjoy using my Aqua Vu micro camera.  Fits in my pocket and easy to use to check structure and if there's fish around and how they are responding to my presentations.  I'd recommend looking that them for quick use to look at what's below

Thank you for all the help!  Ended up going with the Marcum VS485C.  After some research, there were a few other Marcums that were on the list (825 & 625), the Aqua Vu HD, and the Pan Cam.  The mini cams from all manufactures weren't what I was looking for, but they are cool and do have their place.  

After seeing everything in person, I think the Aqua Vu HD had the best camera/screen.  The Marcums were a little bit behind, but the 825, 625, 485, and Pan Cam had similar real life clarity.  The 485 won out because of the $300 price point vs the others at $450-700, and was almost identical for resolution, other than the HD.

I honestly think these cameras are all about 5+ years behind in technology in comparison to the broader camera/tv screen market.  Running off a 7-9ah battery is probably one of the limiting factors.  Another may be the cold.  The main reason (IMO) is that the manufacturers are hoping they can incrementally rape us by trickling out technology each year, similar to the computer manufacturers of the 90s/early 2000's.  For the price of a middle of the road underwater camera, I can buy a Chinese made 50" TV (these all have Chinese made 5-8" screens) and a GoPro or Sony Action Cam (which is 10x's the picture quality).       

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

In the end all you need to see is when the jig disappears into the fishes mouth!  I've been using a Aqua Vu SV, it's old b&w with very small screen but it worked. But this year I won a Marcum camera from Thorn Bro's, (thank you). Lookin forward to trying it out. 

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I haven't paid much attention to these in the last several years, but it's time for an upgrade from the Aqua Vu ZT.  It'll spend 75% of it's life plugged into the TV on the wheel house, so I'm thinking I don't need a big screen on the unit itself.  The other 25% of the time we use it checking for structure and weed lines before we set the wheel house down.    

What should I be looking for/any suggestions?

I was at the fishing show & had talked with the Aqua Vu staff.  Their new HD cameras look amazing!  I thought the pictures on the AV760 was great, but these are super sharp. They also stated that you can view them clearly in the direct sun light.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There are a lot of nice underwater cameras out there.

What about the smaller units. I believe Marcum came out with it to compete with Aqua vu's micro. Have any of you tried any?

14 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

I bet the Marcum Recon is a pretty sweet unit. I like the smaller size, plus they've always made quality cameras. 

I picked one up recently but haven't had a chance to use it yet.  It will get a trial over the Xmas break. It will fit my style of fishing better than the larger units. Spot on the spot type of scouting before setting up.  Probably get a clamp type mount so I can both attach it to a pole in my one man flip over and also clamp it to my thwart in my solo canoe for year round use.  I'll  post a review in a couple of weeks.