• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery for trolling motor

mnguy152

Interstates!!!!!!!!!  Actually, Optimas and Interstates were rated #1 and #2 for top-rated trolling batts. But, the Optimas are fairly pricey IMO. My IS's are going strong after 7 years...I kid you not. Proper maintenance with a smart charger, and you'll be good to go.

I have an Optima and the thing keeps a charge in cold weather  like crazy or in long periods of non use.  I have it on a boat I rarely use at my dad's cabin and usually use it spur of the moment so I don't have the luxury of charging it if need be before using.  I get about a D plus for taking care of my stuff in general.  They are expensive though.  If doing again I'd probably buy a less expensive battery and buy a batter tender jr and keep on it.  

Cabelas AGM's. I got 9 years out of one (going on its 10th season but I'm finally going to replace it this year). My other AGM is on its 8th year. I suspect I will replace it next season. Very affordable! You can find them in the fall for 50% off...not that it does u good this season. I can all day with them on the water (27 series).

Best inexpensive I think is the Nappa store brand-love mine  and some tech geek on this forum a couple years ago  

said it was a high quality for the money-tackle stores all have Interstate so you will have a lot of people on this forum reccomend them. Charge all batteries right after use and use a smart charger.

Good Luck

Whatever L & M is selling in a size 27 deep cycle battery. With the on board charger & charging as soon as we get in, checking water levels 2 or 3 times a season, & some di-electric grease on the cable ends we will usually get at least 6 or more years use. Charging at seasons end & keeping them on a float charger during the off season helps as well.

53 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Still, independent labs consistently rate them #1 or 2 for marine batteries...as do the boating mags. Can't argue with that.

Interstate or L&M (made by someone unknown to mortal man).  ? 

I have had very good performance from Energizer, size 29. I get them at Sam's Club.

Keep them on an on-board charger whenever they are not in use. Use them almost every day! 3rd or 4th year on my second set now.

Have been using my old set in my wheel house the past 3 winters with good results yet.

Cliff

33 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Interstate or L&M (made by someone unknown to mortal man).  ? 

Johnson Controls makes 80% of the batteries out there, including Interstate, Optima, Wal-mart  Everstart (Neverstarts), Exide, Cabela's, and others. Just look on the batt...they say "Johnson Controls" 

I wonder (honestly I do) how many different models they make for all those customers, or is it like the old lakeside packing in Plainview where the cans were all the same, only the labels were different...

On 3/30/2016 at 3:59 PM, bobbymalone said:

I just figure everything comes from the same factory in china, they just put different stickers on it.  

Except MallWart NeverStarts are picked up from the dumpster outside of that factory.

Boy, ya got that right, bobby. Went thru 3 of those in 2 yrs. Junk.

We must've got lucky as I think we have a Everstart starting battery in our boat. Must be at least 4th or 5th season, we didn't really have a lot of choice as the old 1 took a dump after Labor Day & no one else had any in stock. I still had a month to fish, so no brainer. I wonder too if there's any difference in the different batteries ? Different specs / different batteries or are they as bobbym said all the same & they just put different stickers on them.

It's my understanding they make different "grades" for what the company has proposed per order...less plates, etc., that's why they're cheaper. Kinda like buying big name brand power tools at the big box store, not the same as buying from a dealer. 

Kind of what I thought too. So many different brands that they all couldn't possibly be the same.Even the same type & size have different specs.Before we left the cabin the last time L & M had a whole pallet of size 27 deep cycle(Duralast) on 1 of their endcaps for $73. I looked last spring & about the only place I could find Interstate batteries in Grand Rapids was at Ace Hardware & ours was $110 - $120. Sometimes I think that how long they set on the shelf plays a role too.