• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

IS Cuddy worth 7.66 million??

Mudcutter

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOW NOW NOW easy on Punto. His bat will come around and I and a lot of other teams would take him in a New York minute. His defense is stellar.

If I recall, he was a free agent this past winter and from what I heard, there were no other teams interested in him. His best seasons were as a utility part time player and worst years have been when he was designated as the starter as is the case this year. Hopefully his bat will "come around" to the tune of at least getting above .200. Because of the $ they are paying him, I don't suspect he will be replaced as everyday starter any time soon.

not the ones who worry just about themselves. gringrin

and who would those guys be? on our team, not around the league?

As for the arm chair managers, at least they (we) see Punto is horse sh..

Not just his bat either...His throws to Morneau are pathetic

I believe the Mets with there defense would like a guy with a glove, as their defense is very weak. I do agree his throws to first are bad, but since we have a goalie for a first baseman, it works out. He will come around hopefully.

Originally Posted By: Gary Crichton
not the ones who worry just about themselves. gringrin

and who would those guys be? on our team, not around the league?

As for the arm chair managers, at least they (we) see Punto is horse sh..

Not just his bat either...His throws to Morneau are pathetic

Start your own Punto bashing thread....maybe he'll catch fire and more crow can be served.

grin

Start your own Punto bashing thread....maybe he'll catch fire and more crow can be served.

grin

I didn't want to start another thread just for Punto...I have been using the Harris thread for that, since he should be playing more smile

As for catching on fire after I rip on someone, that usually happens. Just not with Punto smile I don't think he'll ever get to the point where crow will be served due to him being hot. I wouldn't mind it, because he would be helping the team. Right now his 2 month slump is only hurting them laugh Say he does go on a tear...I would gladly eat crow.

Yeah Billy Smith should have pulled out his Crystal ball and envisioned Bartlett who hit .241 and .265 in two of the 3 years he played for us would become a good hiiter. And he should known Bartlett wasn't going to lead the MAJOR Leagues in ERRORS for shorstops every year like he did his last year here with 26 BOOTS.

Good Grief!

I think Punto is as good of a defensive shortstop you will find in baseball. He is #2 on the Baseball Tonight Web Gems leader board. The Twins signed him for his defense and they knew they were getting a below average hitter when they signed him. If he can get his average up to .240 I'll be more than happy. He needs to hit the ball on the ground and stop hitting so many fly balls.

If the Twins made the playoffs with Henry Blanco hitting .200 a few years back as there catcher, they can do it this year with Punto hitting .200 as there shortstop.

webgems are overrated. sometimes a guy gets a webgem by doing something on a play that wasn't necessary or had to make what looked like an amazing play only because he got a late jump on the ball. go to hardball times HSOforum and you can get fielding stats by position, etc. punto is middle of the pack at best in the AL. he's a decent defensive player but his d alone does not make up for his shortcomings offensively.

poor cuddy's topic is getting hijacked by punto. (and by the way, I've been critical of cuddy when he was playing poorly but am very happy with his play as of lately.)

Web gems are not overrated and can turn a game around instantly. Your teammates feed off big defensive plays.

Yes Greebs you have been very fair, clear and precise on your criticism Cuddy. Trust me we all wish he was a bit better!

Quote:
webgems are overrated. sometimes a guy gets a webgem by doing something on a play that wasn't necessary or had to make what looked like an amazing play only because he got a late jump on the ball. go to hardball times HSOforum and you can get fielding stats by position, etc. punto is middle of the pack at best in the AL. he's a decent defensive player but his d alone does not make up for his shortcomings offensively.

are you kidding me? crazy Web Gems can be a big play in a game to prevent a run or two and a hit.

Yep, I have always said it on here, and I really hate agreeing with Pier grin, but I would rather have a guy on the team that can take away twice as many runs in the field as he can produce at the plate.

stats don't lie fellas. punto rates 10 in the AL and 18 in all of baseball in fielding in the designated ss zone area. he rates 9th in al and 17th overall in fielding balls hit outside his designated zone. his fielding percentage is also 9th in al and 17th overall.

like I said web gems are overrated because on those plays that punto made, a good number of other shortstops who are quicker off the blocks make that same play and for them it's not as spectacular because they catch the ball in stride while punto has to dive or stretch to get it. because they field that same play routinely, it doesn't make the highlights but still gets the batter out.

Greebs, I totally disagree with you on your Punto evaluation. This is turning into the same discussion as last year when people were talking about how awesome Jeter is at SS. Funny thing is he didn't win a Gold Glove until Vizquel went to the NL and ARod was turned into a 3rd baseman. WebGems are a pretty decent showing of great plays, otherwise they wouldn't even show them, and Punto is a regular on there

Greebs, I totally disagree with you on your Punto evaluation. This is turning into the same discussion as last year when people were talking about how awesome Jeter is at SS. Funny thing is he didn't win a Gold Glove until Vizquel went to the NL and ARod was turned into a 3rd baseman. WebGems are a pretty decent showing of great plays, otherwise they wouldn't even show them, and Punto is a regular on there

I hope you aren't trying to tell me that you think Punto is a better player than Jeter is now are you? Anyhow, like I said a couple times now; stats don't lie.

By the way, did you see that awsome running catch Delmon caught the other night? Bremer and Bert sure talked it up so he must be a great defensive player too since they showed several replays of it. (I'm only kidding on this but hopefully you get my point that the highlight reel is sometimes deceiving.)

Since the thread has been hijacked, partly due to myself:

Punto is a regular on there

1) So far this year, he has not been a regular on webgems (I don't watch ESPN, but I have watched his D and haven't seen many webgems this year).

2) Even with all of 12 RBI, he has not saved that many runs this year.

I know Harris isn't the best SS in the world, but he has been getting on base more, hitting better (more power), and playing D just as well (has a better arm too).

You can't tell me that just because Punto had a bunch of web gems LAST YEAR that he should be starting. It's about the team and so far there is someone that helps the team more than him. I see that he has had a tiny injury lately and maybe that has something to do with it.

That is all, I am done with Punto.

Nobody is saying Punto is or was giving the starting job because he had a bunch of Web Gems last year.

It's not rocket science or tough to figure out Harris can't carry Puntos JOCK-STRAP as far as Fielding goes.

Looks like were at a bit of a impasse again here guys... grin

Stats smatts, give me a break!

How about this stat Punto made 2 errors in over 300 innings last season playing 2nd and 3rd base for the Twins....along with 14 web-gems....

Lets just call it the Jim Edmonds approach, get a late or slow jump on the ball and then make a nice diving catch!! Same goes for Punto he makes some nice plays but like was said, how many are routine stops for other SS.

Originally Posted By: zamboni

I hope you aren't trying to tell me that you think Punto is a better player than Jeter is now are you? Anyhow, like I said a couple times now; stats don't lie.

By the way, did you see that awsome running catch Delmon caught the other night? Bremer and Bert sure talked it up so he must be a great defensive player too since they showed several replays of it. (I'm only kidding on this but hopefully you get my point that the highlight reel is sometimes deceiving.)

I never said Punto was better player than Jeter, but last year alot of people on here were saying Jeter earned his Gold Glove- he did not. His defense has been criticized his entire career, I was just pointing out if not for Vizquel and ARods changes, he would never have won one. I do think Punto is a better fielder than Jeter though