• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Channel Catfish Photo Gallery

HotPocket

really? i never noticed, the channel catfish usually range from 3 to 8. and it seems the bullhead have a much stronger bite... but thats just me

[PoorWordUsage] flat head but gray. Definitely had some biting power. However those bullheads do chomp hard but nothing i have ever been bitten by compared to this fish...

really? i never noticed, i always found bullheads have much stronger bite than channels.

You must be catching some weak or sickly channels then. a heathly Channel's bite can feel like a vise on your hand (if you are so inclined to stick your hand in their mouth)

There’s a hard bony area, just inside the gill flap that you can get a couple of fingers in. A jaw hold if you will.

However, it is still possible for them to clench down and still mash your fingers.

Grippers for Channels are a very good idea.

Quote:
Grippers for Channels are a very good idea.

Yes they are. I should have taken the ones CF was trying to hand me the other night when I had a nice channel in the boat. Instead I said "I got it man, it's not like they have teeth or something." Next thing you know, Mr. chan locks down and I start letting the f-bombs fly like fireworks on the 4th of July. I have some awesome channel rash now.

Yes they are. I should have taken the ones CF was trying to hand me the other night when I had a nice channel in the boat. Instead I said "I got it man, it's not like they have teeth or something." Next thing you know, Mr. chan locks down and I start letting the f-bombs fly like fireworks on the 4th of July. I have some awesome channel rash now.

Mine is almost gone finally. It definitely stung for a little bit...

Holy pool cues, batman. They must have been hoping for something a bit bigger.

I love how he got both hands. That's classic definition of insanity. Repeat the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.

For smaller channels I've always grabbed them from the bottom. I put my thumb behind one pectoral & my forefinger & middle finger around the other. If they're too big to hold that way (10+?) then they can be gilled. The monster, Lockport sized cats, can be gilled with a thumb tucked into the corner of the mouth for extra support. There is a soft spot there where they can't crunch your thumb.