• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflectix = Awesome!!!

Jari Razskazoff

I am sure it has been said in this thread somewhere, but the other thing nice about having reflectix on ceiling is that you don't get the condesation dripping over you at times smile It might still be there, but it goes out the side, not on your melon wink

I put it in my Otter Cabin and my Voyager (old one). Works nice in both.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NCLaker, lanterns in a fish house can be bad news. I guess they put off a whole lot of carbon monoxide. Not sure if it's just the propane models, just the white gas models, or what. But you may want to set yours up in your house with a CO detector and find out if you're putting yourself in danger.

NCLaker, lanterns in a fish house can be bad news. I guess they put off a whole lot of carbon monoxide. Not sure if it's just the propane models, just the white gas models, or what. But you may want to set yours up in your house with a CO detector and find out if you're putting yourself in danger.

Thanks for the tip TooTall ... I tend to use the lantern when I do a lot of hole hopping outside the shack. If I'm camped inside, I tend not to use it as much. Actually, I worry more about all those guys running sunflower heaters or cookers than lanterns. Those heaters gotta put out many times more CO than a lantern. Either way, I generally keep vents open to bring in fresh air, and get outside often enough.

Thanks for the tip TooTall ... I tend to use the lantern when I do a lot of hole hopping outside the shack. If I'm camped inside, I tend not to use it as much. Actually, I worry more about all those guys running sunflower heaters or cookers than lanterns. Those heaters gotta put out many times more CO than a lantern. Either way, I generally keep vents open to bring in fresh air, and get outside often enough.

I sat in my tiny one man shack the other day in the garage with my old heater/cooker on and didn't register a drop of of CO on my detector. I too have heard the lanterns are much worse. I am going to test with the lantern next.

The one thing I did learn was that the heater/cooker, even on low, is probably going to be too hot for that small of a shack.

I had wanted to put reflectix in but now I think it would be too much hassle for the small house. I am using it in my three man and while I don't regret putting it in, it doesn't seem all that great either. Probably worth the $30 in the long run.

Just read this whole post the other night. You all convinced me to go invest in this stuff and I put it in Sat morning. Just went with the 2' x 25' roll and pieced it together to cover the ceiling and majority of the back wall. Have a minimal amount left over. Took some pictures of it in, but don't have a webpage set up to link the pictures to. If anyone wants to see how I did it let me know and I can email them to you. With it in I think I'll only need the one string of rope lights. Can't wait to get out on the ice and test it out! Thanks for all the conversation and advice on this stuff.

I took my reflectix out. It just got to be a bit of a PITA to always be messing with.

It didnt fold up very nice, and was always coming off onthe back. I imagine it would work well on the ceiling, but my biggest concern is stopping the wind at my back.

For me it just wasnt worth the hassle.

Ok, so call me the guy that just made this a little more complicated.... I HAD every intention on lining just the ceiling with the insulation until the pup got super sick (prolly guna have to put him down). Now I find myself hiding in the garage trying to cope with it all and its given ample amounts of time to romanticize about my portable this winter. I just finished wiring my lights and fan and was preparing for the insulation when I thought I would line the whole thing. So, I went online to size and price out materials when I saw that Reflectix makes this Double Bubble Foil/White Insulation. I like the idea of the all white to really brighten things up.

SO... my question now is does anyone have any experience with this stuff vs the other stuff? I also noticed that there was a single bubble and a double bubble. Is there a sizable difference in the ease of folding one versus the other?

Ok, so call me the guy that just made this a little more complicated.... I HAD every intention on lining just the ceiling with the insulation until the pup got super sick (prolly guna have to put him down). Now I find myself hiding in the garage trying to cope with it all and its given ample amounts of time to romanticize about my portable this winter. I just finished wiring my lights and fan and was preparing for the insulation when I thought I would line the whole thing. So, I went online to size and price out materials when I saw that Reflectix makes this Double Bubble Foil/White Insulation. I like the idea of the all white to really brighten things up.

SO... my question now is does anyone have any experience with this stuff vs the other stuff? I also noticed that there was a single bubble and a double bubble. Is there a sizable difference in the ease of folding one versus the other?

The one thing I would be cautious of with this double bubble stuff is to make sure it doesn't add much more bulk than the regular stuff. While the reflectix folds down OK I find that I have to shuffle the canvas and reflectix around a lot in order to get my stuff to fit nicely down in the sled due to all the extra bulk. I'd hate to have even more bulk than the standard reflectix already puts out.

For whatever its worth, the regular reflectix brightens things up quite a bit (not as much as white would) but still helps a lot.

If you go for it be sure to let us know what you think. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Sorry to hear about your pup.

+1 on the light reflecting of Reflectix! One strip of LED lights in my portable lights up the whole area, even in the back. Now I can see everything in the back without any extra lighting. I even put some in my permanent house for lighting! grin

I just bought a role at FF. Hopefully put it in the Yukon this weekend. Sounds like a fun project in my heated garage!!!

I put it in last weekend. It actually was kind of fun. Super easy too. Felt good to have the shack up in the garage, sitting in there again pretending to be on the ice with a rod in hand. Let us know how it goes for you.

How is this "reflectix" attached to the canvas -- i have a bi-fold house (lift one end wall and then the other, with a pole across the top from end to end holding the walls up/open -- any thoughts ?

checked FF web site and didn't find "reflectix" listed did see it at Mnards but no installation instructions

thanks

How is this "reflectix" attached to the canvas -- i have a bi-fold house (lift one end wall and then the other, with a pole across the top from end to end holding the walls up/open -- any thoughts ?

checked FF web site and didn't find "reflectix" listed did see it at Mnards but no installation instructions

thanks

I just saw some at FF this weekend.

I used all-weather duct tape. I have heard some guys use the reflectix tape. It's shiny and silver like the roll of insulation but all I could find, when I bought my roll, was 100 foot roll for too much money in my eyes. (don't remember the exact cost) It was enough to make me say WOW! I knew I had multiple rolls of duct tape and figured to just use what I have. It worked great but you might wanna do it in a warmer enviroment to get the tape to adhere better to the tent.

I got my Reflectix at the orange store near their insulation. Asked the guys working if I should use the Reflectix-brand expensive tape, or if duct tape would work. They, of course, recommended I use the brand name stuff. I didn't tell them it was for my ice shack, as I'm sure that stuff probably does work better in it's typical home application. I honestly think some good ol' duct tape would work just fine, but I used the Reflectix brand stuff and it was simple enough as well. Time will tell how well it holds up...

Anyone have any issues removing any kinds of adhesives from their canvas? I'm going to install reflectix in my Voyager this weekend but I'd like to use an adhesive that won't leave a residue or look like junk if I ever want to take it out. While this stuff may be functional, I can't help but think leaving it in would drop the value of the house to the average buyer. Any ideas or personal experiences out there?

Anyone have any issues removing any kinds of adhesives from their canvas? I'm going to install reflectix in my Voyager this weekend but I'd like to use an adhesive that won't leave a residue or look like junk if I ever want to take it out. While this stuff may be functional, I can't help but think leaving it in would drop the value of the house to the average buyer. Any ideas or personal experiences out there?

I don't think most of us used any type of adhesive (I know I didn't).

First I measured the roof and backwall of my house and then cut a piece of reflectix to fit. I then ran the reflectix up above the support bars and underneath the canvas covering the entire ceiling and back wall. At each point the canvas velcroed to the support poles I cut a slit in the reflectix and then put some duct tape on both sides of the reflectix, cut another small slit through the duct tape and then fed the velcro through the reflectix/duct tape and wrapped it around the support pole like it was before.

I did that at each location there was velcro and haven't had one problem with anything coming lose or looking "off". I've drug my house out and set it up at least 30 times last year with zero issues, zero adhesive. If I ever want to take it out I can rip it all out with no evidence it was ever there.

7ee28acd.jpg

I had to cut out for the back window and storage pocket and again just reinforced the exposed reflectix edge with some duct tape.

Perfect, that's what I'll do then. Thanks for taking the time to post a pic and description.

And here I was thinking about spending the $200 for a thermal house upgrade...glad I stumbled on this thread!

One thing I didn't mention is that my house is wider than the standard roll of 48" so I actually had to cut a 24" strip and tape it to the edge of the 48" wide piece to make it 6' wide. You can see the tape in the picture spanning the distance of the house from back to front.