• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflectix = Awesome!!!

Jari Razskazoff

Did you put just one layer of the Refectix under your boot liner, or one under and one inside the liner? How long do you think that the bubble membrane will stay together under your foot pressure if walking with them? I will be cutting some for my son for his boots today before we go out.

One under and one inside. No reflectix on top of the toes. I pull the reflectix liners along with the Sorel boot liners out and dry boots thoroughly with a PEET after every trip. I wear Under Armor wicking socks, but it's only that one pair, no big insulating wool pair over those UA socks.

I used to wear cotton socks under a 1/2 wool 1/2 cotton pair up until a week ago, and it made the toes kind of cramped not to mention sweaty so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the cold feet.

I've had them out two days in a row now and don't drive on the lake and if you include every step taken have easily walked 2 miles total so far. They seem to be holding up. I'm 160 lbs. (not sure how much a person weighs affects the life)

Anyway the socks, reflectix, more wiggle room for the toes in the same old boots has definitely improved the cold feet issue for now. I really don't stay out very long (3-4 hours usually) so take all this for what it is worth.

There has been an improvement though.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son said there was an improvement last night when we were out trying to rip the lips on some eyes. He said that his feet stayed a lot warmer with the reflectix on the bottom of his feet. His boots don't have the option of taking out the liner, so I had only one layer. He was content and that made me happy.

I paid 31 for a roll and installed this weekend. It is AWESOME!!! Everyone who has a portable should have this. I only used it Friday and temps were dropping fast and it was windy and I was fishing in a sweatshirt and my buddy heater on low for a better part of the day. Thanks for the ideas guys, simple to install and worth every cent.

I am going to go back a purchase some more and cut to fit the sides of the house, and remove and role up at when done for the day.

Has anyone done this yet?

I thought about it, but my Otter Lodge stays plenty warm with just the roof and part of the back (extra hanging from the roof)covered with it. So I can't justify the extra hassel of putting it on the sides - I would have had to put it up and down every time I use the shack. However, I am considering putting some of my extra on the floor of the sled.

I am gonna have to make a run to the store for some too, I am heading up to burntside next weekend. what is the best way to attach it to the portable?

Cut it to preferred length, duct tape pieces together, undo cieling velcro straps, install reflectix between the ceiling poles & canvas, cut slits big enough so you can pull the pole vecro straps through and reattach to poles. Do this while the shack is setup, helps to drop the support poles a bit to make it easier to pull the reflectix between poles & canvas

Worked great for me. On my Otter Lodge, I used two 72" sections of the 48" wide stuff. Taped them together along the 72" seam. Seam was right on the center horizontal suppport pole. Only took about 30 minutes to do. I need to go back and reinforce the slits I cut for the straps.

Good Luck!

I tried the boot liner thing in my boots. Cut 2 insoles for each boot and attached them with double sided tape. I weigh approx 250 and have to cut new insoles after 4 all day uses. (No big, i have enough to cut 40 insoles). You can definitely feel a comfort difference over just the thin-sulate liners in my boots. I also have much warmer feet than before, sitting with my feet on the ice all day. Good tip!!

I am going to go back a purchase some more and cut to fit the sides of the house, and remove and role up at when done for the day.

Has anyone done this yet?

I do this in my big Eskimo Grand Caravan. I have multiple velcro peices glued to the tarp that hold it in place while fishing. I just roll it up and put it on top of all my gear when done fishing (cover holds it in the sled when trailered). I only bring it with on colder days, and it definetly makes a huge difference! But the extra time to set it up makes it practical to use only if your are parking in a spot for a couple hours or more.

I have the Reflectix secured in my Voyager flip over, and use some scraps for sides. The side panels come out when the house gets folded up and just rolled up and placed in the tub. The sides are a great help when it is really cold, especially if there is a breeze. I highly recommend them. I also took a little bit of the scrap material and made boot liners. Was OK for a few weeks, but eventually the bubbles popped and they were useless. Now, I'm a bit "north" of 200 lbs, so they may last longer for some of you lighter guys........ grin

The reflectix in the boots won't work for me either. I am 230, and don't think that the bubbles will last the distance walking from the truck to the house. grin It would make sense to put it on the sides to me. I like to be out fishing in a t-shirt, so warmer the better for me. Take the kids out with quiet often, so keeping it warmer for them makes the day that much more enjoyable.

Was OK for a few weeks, but eventually the bubbles popped and they were useless. Now, I'm a bit "north" of 200 lbs, so they may last longer for some of you lighter guys........ grin

Its pretty cheap to replace insoles from scraps of reflectix though... darn gravity.

(*note to moderators, i mean cheap as in inexpensive, I don't want to offend anyone)

I just bought an fish trap x2 to replace my old 3 sheets of plywood and blue tarp 4x8. Took it out fot the first time and froze my a$$ off. I never got cold in my 4x8 no matter what the temp. I use a sunflower heater. May have to get some of this stuff but I am kinda disappointed in how cold it is in this shack.

Ive got a saftey concern regarding this insulation. I am running 10 Watt halogens in my porty and thety get relatively hot. I would like to install some Reflectix or similar insulation but am concerned about melting and or fires. Is this a valid concern or dont I have anything to worry about... Also I am open for insulating alternatives for a Frabil Trekker 2. I intend on insulating just the top of the sled. Thanks in advance! Can't wait for the hardwater!

If it gets hot enought to melt/burn stuff, probably don't want to get it too close to Reflectix or any part of you or your shack. As long as it is setup far enough away to not melt stuff, will be fine. I use a columan lantern in my Otter Lodge with Reflectix with no problems.

It's great stuff, you'll love it!

I had reflectix in my otter for about 2 years but ripped it out last year. My heater can keep my more than warm enough without it and it just seemed to get in the way. I'll fish in -20 or worst without any issues without insulation.

So do you think it would be worth waiting before installing to see how warm the house will be with the new lights and the heater going? Is there anyway I could find some scrap pieces to possibly test with out flipping the bill on a whole roll?

I have it on my one man. It fits really well in there and I don't have any problems with placing my buddy heater right next to it. It does reflect heat back into you, which is nice. I wouldn't put it in my big shack though. I think it would be too much of a hassle at that point. Besides, bigger shacks have more room for bigger heaters smile