• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflectix = Awesome!!!

Jari Razskazoff

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also just installed this stuff in my Team Wild 3 shack. Heading up to LOTW today and I can already tell it is going to make a big difference. My dog is also going to love as I got a little extra to lay in the sled of the shack for him to lay on.

Thanks to whoever posted about this. Great Idea!!

Tulibe good luck up there!!!

Actually I'm really jelious that your going because I've never been on a good ice fishing trip before! I hope you have tons of fun and catch some fish for me!!

Oh and let us know how you do!!!

Ok tonight i'm getting my frabill magnum GT and I would like to know where you can buy this stuff..

Also can I run my gander mountian led lights off of my boat battery??

Tulibe good luck up there!!!

Actually I'm really jelious that your going because I've never been on a good ice fishing trip before! I hope you have tons of fun and catch some fish for me!!

Oh and let us know how you do!!!

Ok tonight i'm getting my frabill magnum GT and I would like to know where you can buy this stuff..

Also can I run my gander mountian led lights off of my boat battery??

You could. LED's take very little energy to run....If you've got a spare vex battery I recommend connecting to that as it will be much less weight. But if that's not an issue, knock yourself out! Good luck.

I would recommend lining the back of your portable as well as the top - It makes a big difference when it is windy out. Now when I set up my house I make sure the back is always facing the wind, and it stays nice and toasty. It adds some bulk when collapsing the portable, but minimal weight...

Got a roll of 16x24 at 'Nards for 9.60 tax included. Put it straight up the center of a Shappell Rover 1.0 ceiling and back. Cut a rectangular opening for the rear window. Maybe 4 inches of the canvas remained exposed on each side of the reflectix. Ran between supports and canvas and duct taped each end accordingly to complete installation. It was tight and flush against the canvas it was covering.

Results:

It was sunny -10 with a -25 WC. No heater. Wasn't cold.

However:

The Rover has a dark navy canvas that absorbs the sunlight in outstanding fashion. In fact, the portions of the canvas adjacent to the reflectix were warm to the touch, while the reflectix portion was cold as ice.

IMHO the reflectix had nothing to do whatsoever with the comfort experienced.

All the credit has to be given to the layering system employed after much trial and error.

Under Armour 2.0 top and bottom Base Layer

100% polyester top and bottom heavyweight thermals

90% Wool/10% polyester shirt from the Korean War (the real itchy but effective kind---belonged to my Dad)

Arctic Armour Plus Parka and Bibs

100% polyester neck gaiter

100% polyester cap

On the other hand:

"Cold Feet" has been a never-ending problem. An obvious solution was to spend some big dough on a nice pair of boots.

Before making this investment, some investigation revealed many experienced people offering terrific advice on how to combat this problem, from proper precautions and pre-fishing routines, to the right kind of socks.

Here's what worked.

Some Under Armour socks. (4-pack/20 bucks) Over that, cheap overseas made Wally World "Sorel Caribou" Knock offs (40 bucks last year)...with reflectix inserts.

Yes. This worked.

Instructions:

Remove your felt liner and trace the pattern on an appropriately sized reflectix rectangle.

Cut 4 inserts to shape.

In each boot, place one reflectix insert in your boot, insert felt liner, then place a reflectix insert inside your liner.

Depending on the room in your boots you might be able to cover the tops of your toes too, but it wasn't necessary in my case.

Will NOT be buying new boots. 9.60 on reflectix pretty much gave the old ones a whole new life.

Was fishing all weekend (-16 yesterday morning) with my Otter Lodge that I just fitted with Reflectix Friday morning ... What an incredible difference. Despite the cold weather and wind, we ran the sunflower on medium and had all the air vents open still stayed very warm in these cold temps. Only fished with our sweatshirts on. Absolutely no condensation on the roof, like we would normally have. Also much brighter in there.

I followed the instructions from rainlakefisher from a different thread - worked GREAT! Thanks rlfisher. Only took about 30 minutes to install. Best 30 bucks I ever spent.

Got a roll of 16x24 at 'Nards for 9.60 tax included. Put it straight up the center of a Shappell Rover 1.0 ceiling and back. Cut a rectangular opening for the rear window. Maybe 4 inches of the canvas remained exposed on each side of the reflectix. Ran between supports and canvas and duct taped each end accordingly to complete installation. It was tight and flush against the canvas it was covering.

Results:

It was sunny -10 with a -25 WC. No heater. Wasn't cold.

However:

The Rover has a dark navy canvas that absorbs the sunlight in outstanding fashion. In fact, the portions of the canvas adjacent to the reflectix were warm to the touch, while the reflectix portion was cold as ice.

IMHO the reflectix had nothing to do whatsoever with the comfort experienced.

All the credit has to be given to the layering system employed after much trial and error.

The purpose for the reflectix is to keep the heat in the house. You didn't have a heater in the house. Put a heater in the house and it will make a huge difference with the amount of heat that you retain from the reflectix.

I like your idea for the reflectix in the boots. I have some left that I am going to do what you did for my sons boots.

I installed reflectix in my otter last year before a trip to LOW. It was -30 (and sunny) both days and I ran my sunflower on low/medium all day and fished with no jacket. I attached two rope LEDs to the poles and it gets so hot up there lights feel like they will melt at times.

I've not seen it mentioned here but I've had good luck with the reflectix fastened with large safety pins using duct tape on the reflectix and the otter fabric for reinforcement. It was very easy to do and has held up great. Get the large pins around 3 inches or so and its fine. The material folds up great and I have never taken it off. Mine looks just like the picture posted earlier on this thread and goes down the back but not the sides.

The purpose for the reflectix is to keep the heat in the house. You didn't have a heater in the house.

Oh I know, but I don't use a heater ever so it didn't serve any purpose for me. I should have done a better job of commenting how reflectix is of little use to someone who doesn't heat their portable.

It is reflecting the heat back into my feet though!

Did you put just one layer of the Refectix under your boot liner, or one under and one inside the liner? How long do you think that the bubble membrane will stay together under your foot pressure if walking with them? I will be cutting some for my son for his boots today before we go out.