• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early (when we were young) jobs

genegodawa

Quote:
Second Job- I built Fruit baskets for Byerlys. Go ahead and make jokes, its funny

What's that old saying you are what you make.

Sorry you asked for it and I obliged.

Are you going to the Bash this year? If so see ya there. I remember meeting you at the paddle inn last year in March I believe.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is pretty cool reading. my first job was mowing lawns in town for a buck a lawn. then worked at a resort, then a feed mill. that one gave me muscles, sometimes sore ones. these were prior to graduation. after that worked at c.s. granite, then welded stainless steel for 28 yrs now an asst. bus. mgr. for the union i belonged to while welding.

Delivered newspapers for a few years from age 11.

Then I worked at the mini golf. It paid .50 cents per hour and you could play all the golf you wanted. Not bad at 13.

Then, off to Southview Country Club where I caddied for the wealthy. Maybe 6 bucks for carring around a 30-40 pound golf bag for four hours.

Boy, I thought the caddy job was a good one too.

After that I worked in my fathers gas stations through high school.

First real job? Hummm? I guess it would be picking weeds on a farm out in Brooklyn Park. The farmer would pick up a bunch of us N. Mpls., kids from the Unity Settlement House each morning and haul us out to the farm where we would pick crop weeds for something like 8 or 10 cents an hour? Maybe 10 or 12?

Sounds like a crazy little amount, but we could get into the Broadway, or Empress theater for 15 cents. I think a bottle of pop was like 8 cents and a 2 cent deposit on the bottle, something like that? A week working on the farm would buy enough candy to allow you to watch your teeth crumbling out of your head!

Next I went to work with my brothers and my dad, doing landscaping and hauling limestone from the quarries in Cannon Falls, Owattona, Mankato, all over the place. We used to load a load between 7-9 ton by hand on a flat bed truck and haul it back to the cities to build retaining walls. From light to dark sometimes to make 2 loads...I'd get $5.00 a load. I got accustomed to a shovel, a sledge and a wheelbarrow real quick!

I also got a part time job in a neighborhood super market and when I wasn't working there, it was back to the truck and off to the quarries....took up alot of week-ends to.

They were all part of the same family and it was Tony that owned the Crystal steak house as well as Nicklows when it was in Robbinsdale and the Shorewood Inn on highway 65 north of Moore lake. It was always interesting when they would go to Greece to get setup with a wife. They would be gone for 2 to 3 months and they would come back with a wife and the babies would start immediately or would I should say was 9 months later. They would also bring back some cool food like the olives that are packed in olive oil and the tin was like a 5 gallon bucket.

1st job was delivering newspapers.2nd working at a grocery store.3rd was a janitor at a factory with many disgusting construction workers who would use broken toilets,those got laced with extra bowl cleaner for a stinging sensation after setting(no way else to get even).4th was tearing up flooring at a old building,lots of stepping on rusty nails and getting a tetness shot.5th a culligan man(I hated soft water tanks on farms).6Th worked at IBP that lasted 2 months.7Th back to grocery stores for 4 more years.Sticking with the company I work for now almost 21 years .

I knew George and Vula, not real good, but through my ma and sisters. They used to work for them at the Glenwood cafe. To my ma and sisters, they were kinda like distant family members. They were pretty good people it seemed? My ma and sister used to visit them once in awhile where they lived in S. Mpls., even long after they quit working for them. I think most of them have croaked.

First job was a paper route that I subbed for. Man that sucked waking up @ 3AM to put the paper together. But afterwards my buddy's dad took us fishing.

The second REAL job when I was 15 working at Toys R Us.

First real job? Hummm? I guess it would be picking weeds on a farm out in Brooklyn Park. The farmer would pick up a bunch of us N. Mpls., kids from the Unity Settlement House each morning and haul us out to the farm where we would pick crop weeds for something like 8 or 10 cents an hour? Maybe 10 or 12?

Sounds like a crazy little amount, but we could get into the Broadway, or Empress theater for 15 cents. I think a bottle of pop was like 8 cents and a 2 cent deposit on the bottle, something like that? A week working on the farm would buy enough candy to allow you to watch your teeth crumbling out of your head!

Wow this is funny, I know where the Unity Settlement House was. Grew up in Nordeast and North Mpls. My sister worked at the Empress and the Paradise theaters, we ate a lot of free popcorn there. Have eaten at the Shorewood, Crystal Steak house and Nicklows. My grandma and grandpa owned 50 acres of land where the crystal shopping center was eventually built (too bad she didn't hang on to the land longer). Used to hang around at the Clock Drive-in before there ever was a McDonalds. And cannot forget about Porky's on Lake street.

I started pitchin lumber in the bins at the local lumberyard at age 13-14. I dont remember what the pay was, but it bought me my 870 shotgun! I worked summers there through high school.Worked on a pig farm nights and weekends during high school also. A gas station during college, then then the big lumberyard in Downtown St Cloud for 6 years before meeting my future wife and moving back home, now i draw houses on computer

Like most young kids, I mowed a couple lawns regularly for some older folks in the neighborhood.

But my first "real" job that the IRS cared about was..... Hoeing Sugar Beets.

If anybody has seen a beet field in the Red River Valley, we're talking mile long rows. 2 rows up and 2 rows back chopping out all the Kosha and Pigweed. Dew loved to collect every night on the beet leaves so you were wet to your crotch 25 yards into the field. By noon, it was 95+ without a shade tree to be found. To be a kid and desperate for money... wink

Through most of high school, I had 2 paper routes. Grand Forks Herald was in the morning and the Crookston Daily Times was after school.

Also flipped burgers at Hardee's for a few years.

Is there an age restriction to posting in this thread? Some of these jobs havent been around since I was born!

Grebe what was the farm called in Brooklyn Park? My grandpa used to own a farm there which was located right under the 610 bridge now. Exactly under it lol

1) Worked for a ladder rack company, I cant even remember the name

2) Dehn's Country Manor - Busboy

3) Pool Company - Built Pools

4) Landscaping Company

5) Roofer

6) Framer

7) IBM -

8) IT for a smaller company now.

I know both places, used to frequent them once in awhile...baldies and greasers...remember that stuff? I didn't go into the Paradise except maybe once or twice.

Do you remember a popcorn stand that was on Colfax, just off Broadway? Run by some blind people, had a nickle on the counter that was wired underneath....they could tell the ones to trust right away! Nah, that was a long time ago. Never mind. To get back to the thread, I never worked for them!

Man, I'm trying to think what was there? Was it Bergstrom? Something like that? The farm was there for the longest time, but I think it changed hands? It may have been over where the golf course is now? I remenber a potato farmer from out there, I think his name was Ed Shimek?, that would be pretty close?

Once they completely change the land, after a time, it's hard to remember what was where! All my B.P, Champlin, Maple Grove, Osseo trapping grounds went under. I felt so bad about losing my little piece of paradise to the dozers and progress, I couldn't go back out there for the longest time. Hey, heres another name I just remembered, Wendle Matias and again so as not to highjack this thread, I didn't work for any of them, except to do critter control.

Great post - had not thought of some of the jobs I've had in years and I'm sure that there are some I have forgotten.

I did lawns and snow shoveling but first real job was picking eggs and shoveling manure at a chicken farm. Up through HS I was landscape laborer, grocery clerk, delivered about everything you can think of, worked food service and security at a Six Flags Amusement Park, and McDonalds (2 days). During college I worked for 3M Company, a grocery store, and an exterminating company in addition to student jobs for tuition.

Since then I have been a a teacher/coach, run a reacquetball club, worked in a liquor store and a sporting goods store (making jigs), was a bouncer, drove a school bus, done construction (steel buildings), worked for a steel fabricator, counselor in a group home, had small snowplowing business, night crew in department store, was an instructor and later a supervisor in the Job Corps Program, and have worked in various capacities for churches for the past 20 years.

Grebe - My Grandparents farm was called Nobbe Potato Farms. It was located on what is now the Overpass on 610 and Zane and went to almost the Target building now. I cant remember the next door neighbors but Shimek's was right down the road. When I was a kid I remember tons of wildlife around there. No its nothing but buildings and highways

My first real job was as a pump jockey at my dads Standard Oil station. And this was back in the full service days too. So that meant for 35 cents a gallon you'd get your winsheild washed, tire pressure checked and oil level checked and I wore a uniform and cap to boot! I also filled the pop machines, ciggarette machine(remember those?) and the candy and chip display. Let's see, as I remember a pack of smokes was 40 cents, a bottle of pop was a quarter and I think candy bars were a quarter too. Unleaded gas didn't exist yet and there were 2 grades of gas; regular and ethyl(premium).