• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TWINS-SOX SERIES THREAD!

hamrej23

That kills me people like Punto because he slides melon first to the base. Faster, no, been proven.

No chance he beats that out running normally. No it hasn't been proven that Punto does not get to first faster diving to the bag and tonight it was proven undoubtedly that he does get there sooner.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really truley isn't faster to slide head first, think about it, how is diving and letting friction on the ground slow you down going to be faster than keeping running at the speed you were at. From the moment his feet leave the ground he begins to slow down. It may look faster and it does look pretty neat, but it isn't faster.

Great win BTW, GO TWINS

How can you debate over the fastest way to first base after a game like that? WOW! That was a huge win. I will be at the Dome tonight, hoping for a repeat performance.

Because of my wife's recent injury we have some Twins tickets available. Check out the "Free Things" forum. wink

Blackburn tonight....hopefully he can scrape together a srong start, he makes me nervous against this lineup...

In regards to sliding, I think that technique would have alot to do with sliding being faster or slower than running through the bag. I guess I really don't care as long as he beats it out!

Blackburn makes me nervous as well. Lets hope he gets the same kind of run support as Baker had.

No matter how Punto makes it to base - you can beat the entertainment value. He is just plain fun to watch offensively or defensively.

Lets hope if Windy is here watching the Games, lets just hope he has an awfull time while he is here watching the games wink . But if he decides to go out fishing, I wish him well, and to land a 10 lb eye!

I liked Punto's play at shortstop when the bases were loaded and A.J. grounded a ball to short. Punto was going to throw to second for the force but for some reason Casilla wasn't covering 2nd base. Punto quickly threw to first to get A.J. by a step. Most shortstops would have just thrown to 2nd without looking and the throw would have went into right field, probably scoring a couple of runs.

The Twins played a very very complete game. It looked to me like the sox were not prepared mentally. I saw at least 3 mental mistakes made by the sox.

1. Puntos bunt towards 2nd. The pitcher was waiting for the 1st baseman to field, and froze for just a second or 2 allowing Punto to reach via a header.

2. Delmon flair to right, to me the fielder stop and waited for the bounce a little bit to soon. Not much effort considering the situation.

3. Sac fly to left with Delmon on first, and Justin at 3rd, and the throw goes to the third baseman. Delmon trots into 2nd, on a routine fly to left.

The TWINS came to play and gave a lot of effort, and it showed and it paid off.

We play like last night again, we should have the same results.

G.C.

Hammer handle, I bet that was enjoyable. Did you see a few Homer Hankies out. Where did you sit. I bet traffic was a bear with that storm.

Leechbait, The defense for the sox is pretty weak, you are correct. Keep the dingers down to a dull roar, and they are very beatable.

G.C.

G.C

What's all this talk about no chance in the playoff's for either of these teams. All you need is two good pitchers and I think we have three. Slowey, Baker and Lireano (sp)?. Adrenialn may push these guys to some great games. Who knows.

Look at it this way if you can keep these five together for a couple of years they may be the best set of total 5 man rotation in all of baseball. They are all on year 1 to 1.5 so really who sees anything bad about this group in a few years.

A little optimism out there guys for a building year and start over for our pitching staff it's a "darn" good start. Very young in the pitching dept. fill in a few offensive holes and bullpen guys we could be looking at a few really great years to come.

I would love to see a meltdown from Ozzie Guillen tonight. I would also turn all the speed guys loose as soon as they get on base. AJ has thrown out only 10.8% of the runners that have attempted to steal off of him so far this year. Run Go Go Run...

Quote:
It really truley isn't faster to slide head first, think about it, how is diving and letting friction on the ground slow you down going to be faster than keeping running at the speed you were at. From the moment his feet leave the ground he begins to slow down. It may look faster and it does look pretty neat, but it isn't faster.

This is the correct analysis on sliding or not sliding. Good explanation RR.

I especially liked how the Twins switched roles with the Sox last night by playing power ball (no, not the lotto). laugh

Last night's game was an all-around complete performance by the Twins. Great pitching by Baker. Did a great job keeping the ball low in the strike zone. Power hitting, stealing bases, small ball (loved the squeeze play!). Pretty much everything that makes up what baseball is, the Twins did last night. Excellent performance!

Hope they can repeat tonight. Would love to see the Twins knock out Burhle early on. wink