• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for pick-up truck owners (mpg)

I'm considering buying a truck and have a question for you pick-up truck owners: what do you have and what do you get for gas mileage?

I'm not looking for the best you ever got going downhill with a tail wind, but what do you get in real life both city & hi-way & how far do you drive in town?

I have an 04 Silverado, 5.3 motor, and 3.73 rear end that I've owned since new. I've kept a spreadsheet with all my fuel fill-ups to track my MPG and in 65,000 miles the overall lifetime MPG are 16.36. Per tank MPG have varied from as low as 13 (towing or cold weather), to as high as 19.5 (highway trips). I run synthetic in the engine and front and rear differentials. Hope this helps.

'02 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. Has auto transmission, 3.92 rear end, and 4.7L V8. When new this thing was getting maybe 12 cty/14 hwy. Changed to synthetic oil, maybe 13/15. Changed to synthetic gear lube and transfer case, 14/17. Sometimes I can squeeze out 18-18.5 on the highway, but it's not normal.

Chevy's always seem to be better on gas than Dodge's or Ford's. Should be a good time to buy a truck since there are a lot of "air haulers" out there that are looking to be offloaded.

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab. 5.3 L V-8 with cylinder deactivation. (Drops from 8 to 4 cylinders) I consisently get 16.8-17.2 MPG on a mix of of highway/city driving.

I drove up to my cabin a couple weekends ago and got 19.2 MPG. On the way home I pulled by Lund Explorer SS 1800 with a 150 HP, three batteries etc... and got 14.9 MPG.

One caveat on this numbers. I leave the instant MPG computer on all the time and consistently watch it to try to optimize MPG. Keeping it under 2000 RPM's makes a huge difference in mileage with this truck.

02 - Tahoe 5.3 Flex Fuel motor, and 3.73 rear. 14.5 if I drive really slow. 13.5 real world. 9-12 towing the boat.

I don't waste time with the E85 it can take, but on the occasions I have put it in; in the past, 8-10 towing, 10-12 no load.

I run Amsoil in the front and rear diff, tranny, oil, and air filter. Put that in since the life of the truck, so I can't compare to conventional stuff.

Originally Posted By: jwhjr
I have an 04 Silverado, 5.3 motor, and 3.73 rear end that I've owned since new. I've kept a spreadsheet with all my fuel fill-ups to track my MPG and in 65,000 miles the overall lifetime MPG are 16.36. Per tank MPG have varied from as low as 13 (towing or cold weather), to as high as 19.5 (highway trips). I run synthetic in the engine and front and rear differentials. Hope this helps.

Ditto. Mine is an 05 GMC Crew Cab w/5.3 and 3.42 rear end. 35K miles on the truck. Consistently gets 19-20 on the hiway @ 65mph, drops to 18 at 75mph. Typical mixed driving tank is a touch over 17. The DIC is usually .5 to 1mpg higher than actual mileage in my experience.

This truck sure beats my 02 Chev 2500HD CC, 6.0l w/4.10 gears. That thing got 12mpg all day every day, driving 60 or 80, towing or empty...it sure was a solid truck, tho.

I have a 2006 chev colorado crew cab, it has an inline 5 cylinder engine and I get between 16 city and 24 hwy with my best average tank being 22 mpg. It is slightly smaller then a full size truck and has plenty of umph to pull my little 14 foot lund. I don't know what kind of milage you would get pulling a bigger boat with it though.

I like to pay considerable attention to my mileage so hopefully I don't bore you with details.

2001 Ford F150, 5.4L Triton V8, open box, off-road package (17" wheels).

I drive about 17 miles one way to work with 10 miles at highway speed (55mph) and the rest in town through Alexandria and Osakis. During the summer I average a fairly consistent 16mpg using it for work and short trips on weekends. In the winter it drops to about 14-1/2 to 15mpg. I can use the interstate highway and haven't noticed any real significant difference in mileage when I do. Maybe a drop on the average of about 1mpg.

When I use it to travel to Cloquet or Hibbing my mileage increases substantially. Cloquet is about 185 miles with about 2/3 on interstates I-94 and I-35 and 1/3 on 23. To Hibbing is mostly 55mph speeds with some through town driving. In either case my mileage is about the same; about 18 to 19mpg. I often carry my ATV in the box but that has little effect on my mileage.

Every year in June I use it to travel to Hudson, Ontario pulling a 17' Lund Mr. Pike with a 115hp Yamaha. Pulling that boat and loaded down with our gear I will average about 14mpg.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Originally Posted By: fishorgolf
I have owned Ford's, GM's and Dodges and with without exception the GM's have always gotten better milage. Why I do not know.

I agree.

As you can see, no matter what size truck with the exception of the 6.0 GM and the big blocks you get almost the same mileage of 15-20.

I averaged mine once over a few weeks of driving empty and pulling an enclosed 16 ft. trailer part of the time. I averaged 17 mpg with a 2002 2500HD crew cab Duramax, edge chip, straight pipe exhaust, and 265 tires. I'm guessing empty would be closer to 20 and pulling the big 9foot high trailer would be closer to 12-14.

My 2000 1500 5.3 I had got the same mileage, but the 1/2 tons (any brand) don't tow nearly like what the 2500 diesels do.

04 silverado 2500 6.0 litre Crew Cab...12mpg hwy if below 2000 rpms...over 2000 rpm's it drops to 11. Towing 17' lund angler 62mph gets me 10 to 11mpg. I will be towing a 7x16' enclosed cargo trailer completely full to AK in June, it's going to be interesting to see what kind of mileage that gas guzzler gets pulling that trailer through the Canadian rockies...

I have an 02 f150 5.4, 17-19 hwy empty. Pulling my Alumacraft 175 with a 115 on it 70 mph 14mpg. Pulling my 28ft enclosed trailer with 8ft int walls and 6 atv's 70mph, 6mpg