• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite city to visit?

Barony

We just returned from San Francisco after a 4 day weekend. What an amazing place! Food was phenomenal (the prices were too) as were the sights (went to Alcatraz and Sonoma wineries). Already looking for another place for next year. Been to NY and DC (and really like the fact that we never had to rent a car any of these places), and really enjoyed them. Just curious where others have had great experiences.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I went to Boston last fall, and to my amazement I really liked it. I'm normally out of my element and a bit uncomfortable in a big city, but Boston was different. Nearly everything was walking distance including food and entertainment. The subway will get you anywhere else you need to go or dont feel like walking to. There was so much to see and do that we both left wishing we could have stayed a longer time. We were there 5 days and could have easily spent a week. The amount of history there is really great. We only needed a car one day and that was to run down to Cape Cod. If we go again, I would skip that though, as it was a bit of a letdown from what we were expecting.

Boston and SF are both wonderful - another great spot is the Seattle area. We have relatives in Gig Harbor, a great little town just across Puget Sound from Tacoma. We've been there several times and every time we see or do something new. I would rent a car - traffic is a little tough in downtown Seattle, but there is SO much to see out there - from Mt St Helens to Mount Rainier to the Pacific Ocean to the Pike Place Fish Market and historic Seattle. The scenery is spectacular and the seafood is yummy!

Have fun planning! I always figure 1/3 of the fun is planning a vacation, 1/3 is the trip and 1/3 is looking at pictures and remembering!

I've traveled quite a bit and have come up with this little list as my favorites.

In no particular order

1. San Antonio

2. Nashville

3. New Orleans (haven't been there since Katrina though)

4. Salt Lake City

5. Coeur D'Alene, Idaho

I thought only Californians had discovered Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. I was born there and still have family in the area. It's incredible being in an area where you can see mountains. There's excellent fishing, too.

Haven't traveled much, but have been to:

Boston - indeed history is there, but those drivers are nuts

Vegas - left my wallet there 4 diff times

Honolulu - honeymoon 25 yrs ago but I remember it like it was yesterday

NYC - way too crowded for even a cityfolk guy like me

Myrtle Beach - the biggest golfing mecca around

Orlando/Daytona - for Disney when my kids were young

Sarasota - a short business trip visit which was real nice

Houston - another short business trip visit

Cass Lake, MN - no better way to relax

And being from Chi-town, you can't beat an early summer week here - Lk Mich +/or Chi River tours, several museums, Shedd aquarium, theatres, concerts, restaurants, and the best darn pro baseball team field in all of Chicago (right Windy?)

Originally Posted By: Macgyver55
We only needed a car one day and that was to run down to Cape Cod. If we go again, I would skip that though, as it was a bit of a letdown from what we were expecting.

I also liked Boston, but the trip would not have been as good if not for the side trip to Cape Cod for the fishing. Blues and stripers all day long! Was maybe the best fishing I've ever experienced.

But, Seattle can't be beat for scenery, food, fishing, the best baseball stadium in all of MLB, etc.

I also enjoyed San Diago, Seward AK, and Zihuatajno (sp) Mexico.

Originally Posted By: Barony
We just returned from San Francisco after a 4 day weekend. What an amazing place! Food was phenomenal (the prices were too) as were the sights (went to Alcatraz and Sonoma wineries). Already looking for another place for next year. Been to NY and DC (and really like the fact that we never had to rent a car any of these places), and really enjoyed them. Just curious where others have had great experiences.

Did you make sure to where a flower in your hair?? haha \:\)

My pick for favorite city to visit is: Atlanta

San Antonio is nice the Riverwalk is a great time.

Omaha, NE also. Great zoo, Cabelas, and a Bass Pro Shop on the Iowa side.

In the fall I love to visit Winner, MN. Rainer, Mn also.

Geno,

You are right. The Cell is the best, we got the field, seats, stands, parking facilities and concessions by a long shot over Wiggly. The only thing you got is the vines (whip skip) and the bars which are OUTSIDE the park. You are going to be losing your name soon anyway...how does Viagara Field sound or maybe Geritol Park. Going to the largest bidder.....Going.....Going....

Windy

Not sure what I think about Wrigley being changed...I wasn't that impressed by it but was a decent park, party atmosphere!

Chicago, Madison, San Antonio, Nashville are all good visits.

Tempe was fun and Pasadena will be great next year!

Tisosy,

Wiggly Field is a dump. It is older than dirt, concrete is falling down on the fans, their club house facilities are horrible, visiting teams hate playing there, they basket is a joke, almost as much of a band box as the Metrodome and the concessions stink! The only thing they got going for them is history, yep they are old...and decrepid! There are tons of bars and clubs OUTSIDE the park but nothing inside, and the parking is horrible!

Windy

i have to say chicago is one of my favs, you can always find a cheap place to stay downtown, and its easy to get around the whole city, you can cover alot of ground and see alot.

my wife and I went on a ball park road trip this summer. We went to games in St Louis, Milwaukee, Wrigley, the Cell and Minneapolis. I had been to all of them before but the Cell.

Here is my take from the cell. Terrible expensive parking, we would have taken the train but some yahoo decided to jump in front of it and end his life. so the line was closed to get there from where we were staying so we had to drive. Its in a terrible neighborhood, and nothing sets a better vibe than being horded up and pushed through barbed wire fenced areas to get to a baseball stadium. It was a sunday after noon game and there must have been about 500 fans there. The place was really rockin....and had a wonderful atmosphere \:\)

The cubs games were great inside and out. Not to mention I got a great shirt from a vendor on the street: OZZIE who? we got Lou! We sat front row in the right field bleachers when they played the Reds. I got a bp ball from Bronzon Aroyo and got to heckle Griffey a bit. Ahh good times.