• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wow ,,,Sounds like the Yellow Lake area really got hit by the storm friday evening ,,,I havent been able to contact my pal who lives on the lake as power is out in 80% of Burnett Co and not sure if the cell towers are working either ,,,I feel bad for those who suffered damage from the storm ,,,,Lots of campers where DonBo has his place were damaged and I cant imagine what it may have been like for those tent camping

LAS

From the Duluth News Tribune

Virginia King, whose family has owned Log Cabin Hollow on Yellow Lake for 48 years, estimated 70 percent of the trailers at the site were destroyed. That included the trailer in which Harold and Mary Buckentin, a Houlton, Minn., couple in their 80s, were holed up when it collapsed under the weight of a tree.

“The place they were at was the only place that they would have lived,” King said.

Mary Buckentin suffered a gash from flying debris, King said, but otherwise they were uninjured. But she was shaken up, and their son, Don Buckentin of Oakdale, Minn., whose trailer also was destroyed, took them home on Saturday.

people i know sent me some pictures on facebook of their trailer damage. they said that they had no warning of the impending storm as far as sirens. it came quick and the trailer was the only shelter they had. a large tree fell only a couple of feet from the trailer. everyone was shaken but unharmed. good luck.

You can't believe the damage in the area. I'll try to get some photos up later today. My camper is totaled, luckily my boat was untouched. smile

Thanks for the thoughts guys. We were SO lucky no one was hurt. My mother got a black eye, that's it. Their trailer is this first pic, they were in there when it happened. I'll let the photos tell the story.

P7020026.jpg

P7020029.jpg

P7020030.jpg

P7020034.jpg

P7020035.jpg

P7020038.jpg

P7020041.jpg

P7020032.jpg

My wife and I got there just after the storm went through. We walked, or crawled over trees for about 1/4 mile to get to the resort. Every tree was down. We weren't sure if my parents were already there or not, we assumed they were. When we finally got there, the devistation was unbelievable. The first person we saw right away said "your folks are okay". Thank god. Looking at their trailer, you would never imagine anyone could climb out of there.

There's about two dozen trailers at the resort, half will probably be totaled, mine included. The damage to mine was on the roof over the bedroom up front. The four of us spent the night in our small living room. We took them home in the morning while we packed up with chain saws, gas, water, tools, tarps, ropes, etc. The rest of the day and all day yesterday were spent cutting, clearing, patching and cleaning. We had a big fish fry/pot luck later in the day as everyone had food that was thawed out and needed cooking, very few had any refridgeration. Ice was not available for 20 miles.

Before we left last night, I put my boat in the water for a tour of the lake. (my boat, btw, was there on a lift with a nice custom cover. It was the ONLY boat on our dock with zero damage:)) The damage was unbelievable. We saw at least two dozen boat lifts upside down with boats still in them, mostly big pontoons. Cabins and homes that didn't get crushed had roof and siding damage and broken windows from flying debree. Everyone was still in shock as they tried to clean up as best as possible. No one sure where to start or what can be done next.

We were SO fortunate that the injuries in the area were few.

It's a holiday weekend none of us will ever forget.

WOW it's amazing what that storm did it's surprising that no one was killed especially with the time of day and it being the Friday of the 4th weekend.

Sorry for the loss of the property but that's what insurance is for it can always be replaced and I'm glad to hear their was very minimal injury's. At least the boat made it out unharmed.

We were up east of Danbury when it hit. Power is still out and they are estimating a week. By the time the road from our lake to Danbury was open, I had to drive back to Pine City to find anyplace that had ice left.

full-15952-10060-westdanbury.jpg

Here is a poor pic of about a 20 acre stand of 8-10" pines just west of Danbury. Mowed off about 20' off the ground.

Sorry to hear about the damage to everyone's property from the storm.We have a cabin near Hertel and I drove up to Webster with the boat intending to fish Yellow Lake on Sunday night.When I was in the gas station buying a pop,the lady was talking about power not being restored to the Yellow Lake area for 3 to 5 days.Drove up to Ike's and couldn't believe my eyes.Huge trees laying all over.Looked like a war zone.The boat landing was blocked but by that time,fishing wasn't even on my radar.Take Care.

Arrived at Clam Lake about two minutes before the storm hit on Friday. That area did not have it nearly as bad as Yellow Lake and some other areas. When I left on Monday, it looked like about 10-25% of the homes around Yellow Lake had power. Lots of trees down, a lot of boats upside down and a lot of lifts damaged. The homes and trailers were all torn up around the lake. Glad that storm did not hit after dark or more people could have been hurt!

full-742-10065-p7020015.jpg

full-742-10066-p7030018_www.jpg

Was back this weekend to take care of insurance stuff. Still no power at our resort. Still a huge mess, though great strides are being made to clean things up.

BTW, we're looking for a nice used trailer in the 30' range if anyone knows of something. wink

Sorry to hear about all the bad damage that was done. Donbo, hope you guys find another trailer, and your wife gets to deck it out with more cool ships stuff! I was in the area for the weekend, and I have never seen anything like that before. Just Crazy....

Lucky more people were not hurt. I was up there at a friends cabin and they had 10 kids up for the holiday. had to get them into the basement of one of the cabins. They have around 200 acres and have thousands of trees down. This will not be clean up we will have done in a couple years. One truck total out and one has a window busted out.

Actually got the boat out on the water for a few hours of fishing yesterday. Caught a bunch of fish, including six walleyes, but all were short of the 15" limit. Still felt good to get back on the water!

Finally found someone to take my trailer off my hands, hopefully it will be gone by next week some time. I'm still in the market for a replacement. Can't wait to get back to some sort of normalcy.

I'm headin up to yellow aug 10-15! Anybody got any info on how I might get into some walleyes? Any help would be great! Last year we only got 1 in three days! It's a family deal so were not gonna fish it out just want the kids to get some eyes!

Wish I could help, but since the storm I haven't had a chance to fish. There is 33 pages of tips and tricks ahead of this post though. Look through the last few years at this time of year and you'll get an idea of what's happening now.

Hey Dicki! your probably back now, but hope you found some nice fishing. Area offers some awesome opportunites for good fish. Like Donbo said there is a lot of info in this forum from past posts. Let us know how you did! later budd....

Yellow really turned on for me last week. Got to fish Thursday - Monday. Caught a bunch of walleye including (finally) some keepers! Actually caught a limit of keeper size fish on Thursday, something I don't believe I've been able to accomplish yet this year with the storm shortened summer. The bite showed no real preference between crawlers and leeches, though a red hook/bead combo with a leech probably put more fish in the boat than anything. I caught fish from 8' all the way down to 17' but interestingly, ALL my keeper fish came from 14' or deeper.

I heard the sturgeon guys were catching a bunch over the weekend, but with the hurricane type weather on Sunday I don't believe many were out for long. With the nice weather this week and less boat traffic with Labor Day now behind us, there were many more big rigs showing up yesterday. The biggest I heard of was a 54 incher. Gonna have to try that one of these days.

The Killer Hayseeds played at the Whitetail Wilderness Saturday night. Even though I'm no fan of country music, they were GREAT! With all the trees down from the July 1 storm, they had a huge bonfire to go along with the music. All in all, a great long weekend!

The good walleye bite from last weekend continued for me this week, however the keeper sized fish were very difficult to find. Probably boated 20 walleye Saturday evening alone, with but 1 fish over the 15" size limit. Still no real preference between crawlers and leeches. Caught fish from 9 - 16 FOW.

The sturgeon fisherman had a tough time this week with the warm temps. One guy in our camp was up all week and only boated two fish. Several were caught Saturday morning with the biggest I heard of a 62 incher. 22-26 FOW seemed to be the prefered depth.

The storm of 7/1 left many big trees in the water all around the lake. Those targeting bass around those trees are doing really good with many fish in the 18"-21" range.

A beautiful weekend with warm days and cool nights, but I'm looking fwd to some cooler weather for (hopefully) a better big fish bite, AND some bowhunting in the upcoming weeks. Gotta love this time of year!

I was out there Saturday. Tried for sturgeon a while, one little tick of a bite but nothing boated. Did see another in a community spot get one probably in the mid 30" range. Ran up shallow for a bit and cast for muskies. Had two come up and take a peak at a topraider before returning to the depths. Had a third take 2 swings at it but it never got any hooks. All were seen by casting it as far into the thick weeds as I could without having it fouled on the retrieve (two casting out from the inside edge, one casting in from the outside edge). None were particularly huge but they were definitely moving as this all happened in a short window. My sister also caught some nice gills up in the weeds as well.

Nick, think I saw you buzzing back to Jeffries landing about sunset.

I saw a musky just before that myself. He was just off the weededge chasing sunfish (I believe). Saw a bunch of smaller fish getting out of the way, then I saw the big back of a musky swirl just behind them. Went to grab one of my bigger sticks I usually have rigged and ready for just such a moment, but alas, they were not rigged. frown Glad you had some action though. I know the musky numbers are down a bit, but there are still some monsters out there.

And your sister? The gill population seems to be way up with many very big ones, glad she hooked into some!