• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'll be up early Friday and may stay till Monday if the fish cooperate. White 16' Alumacraft with 25hp Yamaha, silver graphics. Stop and say hi.

I would like to fish Yellow lake walleye.

Any advice ?

Not looking for spot specific but more like North side ? south side ? east ?

Near the bridge ? Just point me in their direction.

Leeches do better than fat heads ?

Limit on Big Yellow is two, little yellow is also two, so i am not looking to fish the lake out.

I've ice fished little yellow but never fished big yellow.

Any info. would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Unc.

There's good fishing all around the lake. The weeds only go out to around 8-9' and then most of the lake hits a steep dropoff into 20+ FOW right around 10'. This is usually a good place to start.

Bait? Varries day to day, even morning to afternoon. I'd start with crawler or leaches, but there are times when minnows are the way to go.

Sorry, doesn't sound like much help, but like I said, the bite changes daily, just need to get out there and find them, then figure out what they want.

Thanks DonBo.

Don't need much more help than that.

We'll leave the rest up to the trusty Hummingbird. smile

That's usually a good plan, but often the fish hug tight to the steep drop and don't show up on the graph. Don't be afraid to run a live bait rig up and down the drop till you find what depth they're holding at.

Fished Yellow lake Sat. Morning.

Poked along the drop offs middle/south and west sides of lake.

Only had jumbo leeches for bait. Mabey could have helped if I had crawlers ??

Left empty handed.

Only seen one other boat land a fish. A small northern.

Very busy lake !!

Thought i would fish wisc. to avoid the crowds that Minn. opening would bring to Minn., but to no avail.

Must have been 60 boats on the water by 10:30.

Good luck,

Unc.

Slow fishing for me also. Caught one keeper walleye Sat. morning and 5 nice crappies. Skunked Sat. evening.

Sunday two short walleyes early, then nothing. Only one crappie.

Heard "rumors" that walleyes were caught after dark casting small Rapalas in the shallows.

Was a beautiful weekend on the lake. Walleyes are being caught in surprisingly shallow water considering the surface temp is in the mid 70's. Good catches coming from as shallow as 4' early and late or during windy or cloudy conditions. The gravel bottom areas with little weed growth has been key. Other times they are found out to 12 FOW. Leeches have been the bait of choice recently. Most have to weed through several 13-14 1/2" fish to find a keeper, but there are plenty of 16-18 inchers to keep things interesting. 20 inches is the largest I heard of being taken this weekend.

The crappie bite is all but over, but big bull sunfish are more than making up for it. Look for them on the deeper weed edges. Many 9+ inchers are winding up at fish fries all around the lake. Small leeches work great.

Often overlooked on Yellow, there are some nice bass being caught on those same deep weed edges. Pike too are in the same areas and those targeting them have been doing well. I had a 36 incher up to the boat Sunday in the wind, but my 6 lb Trilene was no match. frown That was the biggest Pike I've seen up there in several years.

Haven't heard of any Musky catches yet, but there were a few good ones seen.

Anyone interested in shooting carp, now's the time. Lot's of them spawning right up near shore the last couple days.

Can't wait to get back in the water on Friday. Stop and say hi.

Hey everybody, just found this page, awesome, we have had a family cabin on yellow river since the early 80s. Its right next to the pine tree camp ground on the north side. Should be a couple of old pontoons sitting out front one red and one yellow. Havnt made it up there yet, gotta be soon i got the itch.

There was a group of guys from our camp who experienced some of the best mixed bag of fishing they've ever had this weekend. A few nice eyes, pike, big bass, big sunnies, jumbo perch. They had a ball. Me however, I was humbled. Ten hours on the water Saturday, 4 small perch, two small gills and a rock bass. frown Then to top it off, I got caught in the thunderstorm at sunset. Not my best day on the lake.

This morning I shook it up some and casted the weedbeds for pike, something I've never really done before. I hooked and released 4 smaller (up to 24") pike. Had three others on, saw a few swipe at the bait right at boatside and had countless others follow. I can see how guys get hooked on this kind of fishing. I had a blast! I even caught two walleyes, coarse they were both 13-14".

They guys that WERE catching walleys were mostly catching them in 10-14 FOW, leeches are still working best. Lots of big sunfish still coming from about 10 FOW, though they are not yet on their beds.

I got caught in that same storm DonBo. And we did really good this weekend on the walleyes and sunfish(icluding one a little over a pound that my dad caught)... all on leeches under a slip bobber. Also a 26" northern.

Hey Guys,

I read this forum quite a bit, but rarely post. I am a weekend warrior fisherman on Yellow Lake, my inlaws have a cabin by the 10th hole and another one in Siren on Crooked Lake. I try to get out on Yellow as much as possible during the year with my son, but we primarily fish for Walleye. If you don't mind sharing information, where are you guys targeting the Perch, Sunfish and Bass? We have picked up some nice Perch occasionally when fishing Walleye, and in the winter over by Jeffers landing on the hard water, but I have never targeted them in the summer. And I did not know there were big sunfish like that in the lake. We usually fish Sunfish in Crooked Lake off the dock and catch a mess there whenever we want, but on slow days I wouldn't mind finding them on Yellow.

Thanks,

Todd

All the fish you asked about have been coming from the deeper weed edges. 9-12 FOW. All that I've caught have been accidental while fishing walleyes. Any of the more weedy spots are holding sunfish right now.

Don,

Fish still biting? Coming up tomorrow A.M. weather permitting. I was going to come up this morning but overslept, so I decided to fish closer to home. Went to Balsam Lake but it was pretty slow. Went to one of our better spots and only boated 1-11" walleye. Caught about 12 bass,1 northern and some decent sunfish but real slow bite.

Rob

Rob, I'll hook up with you sometime this summer, but this is not the weekend. We're going two Twins games this weekend, plus a small trout lake near home opened today and the fishing's good. My smoker will be happy!

Fishing has been good though. Target that 10-14 FOW along the heavier weed beds. Leeches have been hot.

Tough fishing for me again this weekend, though I didn't get a whole lot of time on the water. Walleyes are biting anywhere from 10-20 FOW depending on conditions. Leeches are still top producers, but crawlers are starting to take some fish too.

Those targeting gills are doing real well right now. Smaller leeches right up in weeds is the ticket.