• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well the walleye fishing really picked up for me this weekend, the last couple were as bad as I can recall up there. Fish were caught from 12-18 fow, still all on leaches. Managed several for the box plus a 20 incher, (released) my biggest of the season.

Sturgeon fishing has been spotty. The guys who know what they are doing really put a hurt on 'em Saturday. Four boats in one party landed 24 fish on Saturday alone. All released, biggest was (if I recall) 63". Me? Still a sturgeon virgin. frown

Rumor has a 185 pounder coming from Clam lake last week. Any of you locals hear about it?

Ryan, never saw you this weekend. A little frustrated after last week?

Holy [PoorWordUsage] that thing is massive! 185 would be a new state record is that why they kept it? Would like to here some more info on this...

Here's the info on this fish: (assuming these photos are the same fish)

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2005391/New_State_Record_Sturgeon

Word has that after last Saturday sturgeon fishing has been almost non-existant. Guess you just need be be there when it happens like so many other outdoor pursuits.

Big musky tourney this weekend. 47 boats caught 7 muskies, 4 over 40', biggest 44". Biggest northern 37 1/2". Tourney started at 8:00. 6 of the 7 muskies caught were in the first hour. No fish after 10:30.

Walleye fishing was not as good as last weekend. Things are changing with September that's for sure. All but one fish I caught this weekend were on crawlers, a bait I haven't caught a walleye on for weeks. The highlight of the weekend was my 79 year old mother caught a 22" eye.

DSC02296.jpg

Her biggest fish ever, and the best in my boat this year. Fish was CPR'd, caught on a leach in about 15' of water. Caught fish from 9' all the way to 19' this weekend. Very hard to figure a pattern.

Saw a couple big smallies boated this weekend, maybe WIfisher will tell us about his?

We had a slow weekend also. Fished lead core late friday night from 830-1130. We had 3 nice strikes but they never got any hooks. Saturday morning i picked up a 16"er on a leach in 10' we caught a couple shorts after that then around 7Pm we were trolling leadcore again and got one 15". Sunday we only fished for a few hours and came up with nothing. Marked a lot of fish this weekend they just werent active like they should be. About the smallies we caught 3 or 4 of them from 12-18". The 18"er felt like a musky for a while. They sure are fun to fight on a medium light.

Ryan

Im heading to Yellow again early sat morning ,,,,will probably fish the same area and hope the eyes or pike bite (the wife is going to shampoo the carpet and wants me out of the house) Im already packed up and ready to hit the ice ,,,I will give a fishing report and ice conditions by sunday am

Good Luck out there and be safe

LAS

Try the deeper edges of the breaklines during daylight hours for walleye, then move up the slope to 7'-8' fow during low light periods.

Had good luck in the past with small sucker minnows and tip ups.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Hit the ice at first lite and fished till 4 pm ,,,One of the most dissapointing outings I ever had on Yellow ,,,between us and guys fishing close there was 45 tipups out and I didnt see a fish landed ,,,fished depths from 6 ft to 16 ft had 7 inches of ice every where we fished ,,,did see a small cluster of houses towards the west shore in the crappie holes ,,,Good Luck out there and be safe!!!

LAS

When is usually the best time(s)/locations to fish on Yellow Lake from now untill the ice melts?
Depends on what you are trying to catch. Right now alot of walleyes are being caught in Jeffries Bay in 10-15 feet and most are using jigging raps. Best time seems to be the last hour before it gets dark. Crappies are hard to find and when you do you only catch a few. The south end in 20 feet seems the best.

Hey, Straight. Welcome and thanks for the report. Nice to have another set of eyes watching my fav lake.
Yellow is one of my favs also, the contest last Saturday was pretty uneventful but we still had a good time. The largest northern was only 5 1/2 lbs, not real good fishing weather but still nice to be out. I had plans that evening but my friend stayed late and caught a couple eyes around sunset and we were at the Lodge for tacos and some guys caught 6 on the west side.

Hey DonBo, or anyone else.

How's the driving on Yellow. Can you drive anywhere, just on main trails, or not at all? I'm thinking about taking the kids tomorrow but it's supposed to be windy so I'm looking for a wind block from the truck.

Thanks in advance!

Last week was fine. There were some snow drifts that were a bit deep, but no problems with a 4WD truck. That was before the Monday/Tuesday snow, but don't think they got as much up there as we got.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Put in the dock this weekend. Boat's not in the water yet, but hope to be fishing Friday afternoon. The guys who've been up the last couple weeks say they've been catching crappies. They also said a few walleye were caught on their crappie minnows in 10 FOW.

Really looking forward to the opener this weekend.

That's a nice pile of crappies there Killa. I'd of been all over that myself, but had to turkey hunt this week. Oh well, can't do it all I guess.