• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think it was back on the 06 opener I was fishing/trolling close to Ron S in his Crestliner ,,,he was pitching jigs and I was trolling rapalas ,,he was catching more fish but small ,,I was landing fewer but bigger fish ,,,I almost wouldnt have recognized him with out Raven ,,but the camera man helped me put things togather

I may forego the Wi opener and head there for the Mn opener since the weather isnt being cooperative ,,last I heard was the lake still had lots of ice so docks at the landings may not be in come opener or at my buddys place for that matter

Good Luck out there

Randy

15" minumum. Most of the lake is surrounded by a shallow flat going out to about 10' before dropping into 20+ fow. Weeds only go out to about 7'-9' in most of the lake. This is a good spot to start. Sounds like it will be awile before we get any weed growth this year. Untill we do, don't be afraid to try the 2'-7' areas.

Good luck!

Anyone been on Yellow recently? Plan on fishing there this weekend. Wondering what was working, how deep, etc. Targeting walleye, maybe crappies.

This will be my maiden voyage of the '08 open water season. grin

Was cold on Yellow yesterday but that didn't hamper the fishing. Caught a bunch of nice crappies and my limit (2) of walleye in a very short time.

Crappies in about 8' of water, seemed to prefer a red hook with crappie minnow.

Walleyes from 7-12 fow, mostly on live bait rig with leeches.

Anyone fishing Yellow recently? Going to be up there this weekend and haven't fished it since early June. Any suggestions on depth for walleye? Crawlers? Leaches? Any colors working better than others?

Thanks for any tips.

Sorry, love too but the winds howled all weekend and I never got out. I may be up again next weekend. If so I'll let you know.

Anyone else been out?

Can't believe there is no action on this Yellow Lake post because the fish are realy biteing, at least they were this weekend.

Hooked up with crappieman (nice to meet you by the way...) on Sunday and we compared notes. We both did good on Saturday (they even got limits of keepers, limit is now 3) and Sunday was also great. Caught my biggest of the year 22" along with an 18", 17", 16 1/2" and three legal 15" along with lots of shorts.

I also caught two 16"-17" smallmouth and a 19" largemouth, probably my biggest largemouth ever. Great weekend!

Yes nice to meet you Don. Got out there about 5 on Saturday night with my buddy and we hammered them on crawlers. we got our six fish then my dad came out for an hour or so around dark so we could take 3 more. We threw lots of fish back in the 12-15" class. Frustrating throwing those 14 3/4"ers back... We decided to go back out on Sunday morning as well. We got a late start but got out there by about 7AM and we were off the lake at about 230. Met up with Don to see how he was doing as we werent getting many. He said he did good in the morning then it shut off around 7. We caught a few small ones and lots of perch. Later in the day right after Don left the clouds moved in and the winds picked up and we started catching fish like crazy. We got lots of doubles and quickly had our limit and started exchanging some 15"ers for 16's while we were still under our limit. My dad came out for another hour after that and we took 3 more. My friend Chris got 2 really nice fish 1 18 3/4" and 1 19"er! Great day on the water with another limit of 9 between 16 and 19'"s

Thanks for all your help in pointing us in the right direction Don!

Good Fishin'

Ryan

Hey crappieman & donbo,

Thanks for the report. I'm going to be on Yellow either Sunday Aug 3rd, Monday the 4th or Tuesday the 5th (depends when i can get away from our family vacation at Hanscom Lake). I'm planning on dusk or dawn. Not to sound too lazy, but were you trollin with crawlers or slip bobbin'? Also, I've never fished the lake before, sounds like there's a unique slot. Sounds like 3 fish over 15 inches? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, 3 fish over 15". Bite seemed to move back and forth between leeches and crawlers. We were riggin', drifting or slow trolling with electric. Did catch some slip bobbin' Sat. evening on fatheads and leeches.

Fish were anywhere between 8' and 18' depending on time of day, wave levels etc.

Good luck!

Randy, I haven't realy heard, but there were very few fishing them this weekend. That is usually a good indication. Could be everyone was just targeting walleye.

Yea we found rigging was working better than bobbers since we never caught one on a bobber. seemed like the crawlers work better mid-day and leeches toward the evening but I think we caught equally as many fish on both so you will just have to experiment. I only saw one boat out there throwing stuff for muskies. Most were pulling cranks for eyes' but it didn't look like they were getting the numbers of fish we were.

Good luck!

Ryan

We caught a few on Saturday morning pulling Lindy rigs with crawlers and leeches - only one was just over 15. We marked very few fish on the weed edges in 15-20 ft. There was NO wind...I think that would've helped. I saw another guy in our area catch two on the same spot, so they are definitely there to be caught if you're doing the right things. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Dom

Sorry I don't have anything to report. I ended up not going to Yellow. We were staying on Hanscom Lake near Webb Lake, and with the wife and kids along, it was just easier to stay there and catch bass. Decent bass lake by the way. Only had enough time for 1 or 2 hours on the water in the evening, and we caught a lot of largemouth's on top water. As much as I like walleye, there's somethin about a bucket mouth exploding on the surface that keeps me entertained. Good luck & Good fishin. Thanks again for the info.

Got out on Saturday Evening. It was a very windy evening right through the evening. Got one nice 16 incher on a sharp ledge in about 9 feet. Thought I was in good shape after that one but then We only got 1 other keeper after that. Caught tons of 13-15 inchers, really shows that the minimum size limit restriction is working! Theres the two keepers back cause I didn't feel like cleaning 2 fish... Also saw the DNR at the landing. The lady was out there checking for (aquatic hitchhikers)on peoples boats and trailers. We had one weed on our trailer no bigger than a 4 inch strand of hair and it had been dead for 3 weeks now but apparently they can still write you a ticket for that?!? Doesn't make much sense to me. If the weed is dead it could not hurt the lake. She "let us off" with a warning.

Most fish were caught on leeches this weekend but still got a few on crawlers.

Good Luck,

Ryan