• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Congrats Don, you did better than us. My son and I fished from 5- 10 AM and only boated 2 walleyes but caught 6 nice smallies and 12 or so nice largemouths that were all released. The walleyes were just under 15" so all went back.

We tried several spots but just couldn't get anything going. We might give another shot next weekend.

Rob

7-21-09YellowLake004.jpg

v7-21-09YellowLake005.jpg

WOW! I haven't caught that many bass combined in 20 years fishing Yellow. Maybe you're staying too close to the weeds? Seems some walleye always relate to weeds but the bigger, keeper sized mostly hold deeper. Just a thought. I only caught one bass all weekend, an 18" largemouth. There are some nice ones in there huh?

I'll be back on the water Saturday morning. Look for a white 16' Alumacraft w/gray and silver graphics and a 25 hp Yamaha. Stop and say hi and MAYBE I can help put you on some fish.

Awesome! Sounds like Yellow is starting to produce a few fish again. I'll be up with the family this weekend. Hopefully we can find some 'eyes, and I'd love to pu the kids on some of those smallies. We've been fishing the SE side of the lake near the river channel with very little success. Sounds like I've been on the right lake, maybe just on the wrong spots!

Gotta keep moving to find them, that's for sure. For whatever reason, I haven't fished the southern part of the lake in years.

Love your boys Twins shirt!

Nothing better than fishing and Twins baseball!

We'll hollar at you if we see you on the water. We'll probably be in a black/tan 14' Crestliner w/ a Honda 30 hung on the back.

Don, should be out early Saturday or Sunday morning in a 17' Smokercraft with a 115 Merc on the back. We've been fishing the weed edges and like you said, haven't done real well on the bigger fish. I cruised around a few deeper areas but didn't see a whole lot down there. Back to the drawing board.

Rob

I cruised around a few deeper areas but didn't see a whole lot down there.

I think that anything between 10' & 20' are on such a steep break that unless the fish are real active (and off the bottom some)they are hard to pick up on the graph.

I may be way off base, but that's my take on it. Seems I rarely mark them unless they are quite agressive. Coarse maybe I'm catching them then because I'm over and marking them. crazyconfused

blushI'm embarrased to say I was at the lake this weekend and never got the boat in the water. cry

There were a couple people from our camp that got into some walleye. Said they were still stacked up where I was getting them last week. (tip: play the wind) One guy caught a 12" perch! Like to get a bucket full of them. Anyone else up that can give me a report on what I missed?

There were a couple hard core musky guys up all week from Illinois and at last report had only caught 4, biggest going just 41". They were not impressed.

Don, my son and I were up Saturday morning and didn't fare to well. We fished the South side first and I pulled in one 14". Then headed up North and was able to throw this guy in the livewell(19").

7-25-09YellowLake001.jpg

Couldn't get any more so we headed back South and I caught 1 more 16". So we only ended up with the two keepers. Didn't even catch a bass all day. It was pretty tough fishing with the wind.

Went out Saturday night at about 7pm. Started fishing with my brother from Colorado and 15 minutes in he tied into a nice 17" About 15 minutes later he had another one but this one only ran 12". Then another 15 minutes we saw a dark cloud coming at us. A few minutes later it started pouring on us. We scrambled to get the rain suits on and when i put the trolling motor on full speed the fuse blew. Needless to say we rushed backed to the landing and called it a night. Too bad if we would've had another couple hours we may have filled a limit at that rate.

Fun while it lasted anyway..

Went out twice this weekend once Saturday evening from 5-730 when we saw some dark clouds coming and headed off the lake. Ended up getting 4 that night 3 were keepers 16-17"ers. Then again Sunday AM from 530 to 8 and we caught 7 in which 3 were keepers from 16-18". All fish were caught on a lindy and leech combo in 10-16'. Pretty good weekend of fishin!

Ryan

Good job Ryan. I caught plenty of fish this weekend too but didn't find as many keepers as you.

Highlight of my weekend was a 4'-5' sturgeon that came all the way out of the water just 30' from the boat.

Yeah i see a lot of them sturgeon. I think i saw you out there Sunday AM around 730 near Ikes. I was in a 17.5' Lowe with a 90hp Johnson on the back. I will be out again this weekend so long as i don't get heatstroke...

Have a good weekend all.

Ryan

What a beautiful day on the lake! Got out a bit later this morning than I like, 49 degrees! Yow!

Put two 16+ inchers in the box right away in 9-10 FOW. Then had some guys near me catch several in 20+ fow. We then caught several more from 12' all the way out to 22'. This is probably the most scattered as far as depth goes that I've ever seen it.

After a days worth of work on my boat lift I got out again about 6:30 and fished till sunset (a beautifull sunset). Caught several fish but just one for the box, a fat 18 incher, all from 9-13 fow. Also added two bonus 9" sunfish for the freezer.

Caught one short one tonight, while unhooking it I saw a short piece of line sticking from it's mouth. Upon looking, he had a red hook deep in it's maw. I'm sure it's a fish I caught and bit off this morning as all I used today were red hooks. At any rate it didn't seem to bother his appetite.

I'm taking a few days off from the ballpark to get in a little fishing before school starts for the kids next week and will be on the lake tomorrow morning with my youngest for a few hours then up to Danbury to pick up our two coyotes we had tanned from last winter. Anybody else going to be out?

We went out Thursday A.M. and ended up with 6 with only one over 15". We got out today at 8 A.M. this morning and it was pretty quiet until 10 A.M. and I caught 10 and then they shut down around 12 P.M. Not one keeper in the bunch but we did have a good time. I also found a set of keys at the Jefferies landing on a Smokercraft key chain. If anyone heres of someone looking for them let me know.

Rob

How is they're 14" year after year? You're makin' me jealous getting out during the week. Nice and quiet aint it?

Have you ever fished sturgeon out there? Getting excited to give it a go this weekend!

Only caught a few 14 inchers and some that were only about 8" long. Tried deeper but couldn't get any takers. Did hear from a friend that he was doing well in 28' trolling crankbaits. Saw some bigger fish suspended about 8' down but couldn't get them to bite. It was extremely quiet out there, just the way I like it. Unfortunately those will be the last three days I take off until the end of October. I've never fished sturgeon before but I bet it would be a blast.

I never really fish over 14' deep and do most of my fishing in 7-9' You gotta find some gravel next to the weeds and thats where the bigger fish will be. Me and my buddy got our limit every day 2 weekends ago doing this. Caught a lot of 15-16"ers biggest was 18"

Goin out again this weekend!

Ryan

hey don when i was up there for the 4th i hooked into one while walleye fishing and i fought it for about a hour and a half then it broke my line i was 10 FOW if that helps any it was crazy i had my lindy rod and 8lb test my uncle has video of me fighting it and you could just hear it rippinbg line out lol i still havent got the video though ill have to talk to him about that soon.

havent checked this forum for a while or else i would have posted sooner

good luck!

zach

That was fun! I'm hopin' my 50lb Power Pro will hold 'em.

Don the line will hold just fine. Make sure you get big strong swivels (150+lb ones) and make sure the line can't slide out the hook eye. Otherwise just buy like a 100lb 36" fluorocarbon muskie leader. It tends to be the other gear that fails, those superlines are really really tough.