• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who are we? Post your Bios here!

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I will throw in my bio too...

My name is John and up until 9th grade I had lived in 8 states by the age of 15. Finally while living in FL, my dad got the bright idea and said lets move the family to Minnesoata so the boys can hunt and fish again! We said ok, but you have to get us a couple snowmobiles and a Boat, he agreed. hahaha

We ended up on Ottertail Lake where we fished, wakeboarded and golfed and fished everyday in the summer with my friends in that order.

Graduated from MSUM with an advertising major and a marketing minor last may and got married in June. My Wifes name is Kayla and she is a school teacher. Right now she works in Park Rapids as a pre-school teacher until an elementary posistion opens up.

I work for Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker, they call me JC. I do a little bit of everything there, mainly coordinating their advertising co-[PoorWordUsage] and working on the fishing floor. We live in Akeley in a house that a member of this site built for us! Pretty cool when someone asks how we found it and I say Fishing Minnesota.

We hunt and fish and golf in the summer 99% of the time I am thowing hunks of wood, rubber and buck tails. That was the main reason I moved up here. My new fishing buddy is my yellow lab named Buttercup. Butters for short, she is 11 months and has been awesome and loves the boat, we are working on her lazyness, in fact she's at my feet right now like usaul.

nice to put some bios with the names, stop in and say hi if you are ever in walker!

OK...had to join the fun. I'm new to this forum, but not to fishing. My dad took me fising all the time, I did the boy things with him while my sister stayed home (all pink). I am hooked on ice fishing, but open water ain't so bad either. I just hate the mosquitoes. I'm a Bon Jovi and Teri Clark fan. I have two boys 14 and 16 that keep me busy. I'm from Rochester,so I travel often to fish. I'm forty six and drink Leinenkugel's Red (born in Chippewa Falls WI).

Gatorhunter:

I have French Canadian blood in my background. In fact, my grandparents last name was Desrosier. I understand that sometimes the "s" got dropped (maybe in the translation or the move across the border) \:\) Have you known that to be the case? Maybe we have more than fishing in common. cool.gif

My grandparents spoke French when we were kids (mostly stuff I'm sure they didn't want us to know). I remember distinctly though how neat it was to listen to my grandpa when he'd get upset and cuss in french - you'd hardly know it was cussing because the language itself is kind of sweet to listen to.

Anyway, just wanted to see if there was any connection.

My name is Paul, I am 41 years old and married with two boys, 16 and 9. We live in central illinois but travel to minnesota several times per year. Love to ice fish LOW and usually go to Lake Vermilion for catch and release smallmouth fishing. Have hit several lakes up there, Winne, Leech, Snowbank, Vermilion, URL,Rainy, and LOW. My wife loves the town of Walker so Leech is her favorite, but I love Vermilion. My wife and I are employed in the banking field but would love to move to MN and buy a resort, but as you know real estate values have made that nearly impossible. For now we have to settle on taking our vacations in your beautiful state and hope to move there upon retirement.

Man, talk about a long thread. Usually you have to start a fight in the Outdoor Discussions board to get 10 pages. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

And, well, you've thrown a shiny bright lure in front of this catfish, so I'll bite. grin.gif

Steve Foss here. A LaCrosse native, I moved to Grand Forks, N.D. when I was 10 and grew up there, attending college at UND (Go Sioux!). Traveled all over the West and ended up living at 10,000 feet in Colorado working for a gold mine. Came back to Mn and Wisconsin, moved to central N.D. and got into a newspaper career 15 years ago. Moved back to Forx to work as a reporter and assigning editor at the Grand Forks Herald for six years (yeah, during the horrible flood of 97, too), and traveled all over northwest and north central Minnesota and North Dakota writing news and feature stories. This is the same paper my dad, Virg Foss, worked at for over 35 years covering Sioux hockey, and the Herald was where I met my wife, Lisa, so it was kind of a family affair. Moved from there to be city editor at the Duluth News Tribune so I could boss people around and start the climb up the corporate ladder, but got sick of that pressure cooker and moved to Ely five years ago as editor of the small-town Ely Timberjay. Quit the Jay last June to take up photography full time, and now it's a blinding array of nature photograpy, portraits, weddings and other types of couples photography, traveling as far away as Wisconsin, the Twin Cites and North Dakota. I'm also writing two books already accepted by publishers, so it's quite a busy winter.

During all that time, through three marriages (Lisa and I remain happily married after 11 years of being fishing partners) and with three kids now grown, I've been nuts about fishing. Bass/pike/walleye/crappie/sunfish on the Mississippi, Catfish on the Red River, perch on Devils Lake, brookies and rainbows in the Colorado rockies, all kinds of stuff. Got bitten by the lake trout bug six years ago (which is part of the reason I wanted to move to Ely and be next door to Burntside Lake) and haven't healed since. I also do a fair amount of walleye, smallmouth and musky hunting on Vermilion, and we've had a family cabin on Lake Beltrami near Bemidji since 1983, so I've been all over that area.

Lisa, a computer graphic designer and Web designer, is nuts about fishing too, though she'd rather be in the boat than on the ice (ice fishing bores her.) She is the slip bobber Queen.

I guess a guy can do a lot in 46 years. Or, well, since as stated 40 is the new 30, I guess that makes me 36. crazy.gif

Mostly on HSO/FM I hang out on the photo sharing, bird watching and BWCAW-Duluth-Ely-Range boards, though I'm not above coming over to other boards like this one and causing a little trouble from time to time. OK, OK, it's a lot to say. Beware what you ask for — you might just GET it! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Okay mnfishingal. This is cool.

Do you know what part of Canada your grandparents were from? My father's parents came to Manitoba from Québec in the very late 1890s. My grandfather was born in southeast Manitoba in 1900.

Desrosiers should actually be spelled "des rosiers." Translated, if you don't know, means "the rose bushes".

email addy is [email protected]

Contact me and let's do some family tree stuff. Guaranteed we're related somewhere down the line.

André

mnfishingal and gatorhunter, I've been following your discussion a bit. Cool to find long-lost rellies.

I've got a great-great . . . . grandfather named Augustus Martin who was a French-Canadian fur trapper and worked out of the Red River Colony along the N.D.-Manitoba border in the 1830s-1850s and married a Gros Ventre woman. One set of the family moved to Wisconsin to farm (my branch), and the others stayed in the area. I'm related to Martins on the White Earth Reservation and likely to some of the Metis descendants.

My wife and I recently found out that her and my families (mine from the other side of my family from the Martins) lived within 50 miles of each other in West Prussia back in the 1800s. Hers were named Eiteljorge, mine Jaekel. She was MIGHTY happy to leave that name behind and take up Foss when we got married. grin.gifgrin.gif

Don't mean to horn in on your discussion. It's just that the world is a very small place.

Ok - French Canadians, I'll pipe in. My roots go to International Falls where alot of my extended family still lives, and before that Winnipeg. The last name is Turenne. My grand father was the "ice man" in the Falls. He supplied the town with ice cut from the Rainy River. He also supplied most of the fish for the town, mainly Pike ( some sturgen) from the Rainy.

Vive le nord! Very familiar with the name Turenne...many of them in southeast Manitoba. Martin is extremely common also but it seems to always be pronounced the English way so I'd be hard pressed to find some French Canadian Martins.

My mother in law's maiden name is an original Metis name (Vermette).

Yes this old world has gotten smaller since this internet thing came along. Keep posting.

I live in Duluth/Superior area. I have been married to the same woman for, oh [PoorWordUsage], I don't remember how long. Three kids. I am 42 years old. Fish,open water. Do not care for ice fishing. Looks like other french canadians occupy this site. Good. My grandfather changed his name to a more English sounding one. My open water fishing is LOTW/Rainy River, St Louis river and bays, and L Superior. I am addicted to tackle. No kidding. Hence, the handle. I dont hunt anymore except occ. grouse. I am new to this site. Besides fishing, reading, traveling, fitness are my other enjoyments. That's it

gator, I don't know anyone in our family or our extended relatives who pronounces it marTAN anymore, but my grandpa said his father used to.

I think Martin is the French-Canadian equivalent of the British Smith for commonness. There are tons of Smiths, but how many pronounce it Smythe like they used to in England?

And, of course, there were some in my family who hated to be reminded that they were French-CANADIAN. Much more stylish and hoity toity to be from France, never mind the multi-generational pause in Canada. But I never cared about such things. We are what we are.

Originally Posted By: gatorhunter
Vive le nord! Very familiar with the name Turenne...many of them in southeast Manitoba. Martin is extremely common also but it seems to always be pronounced the English way so I'd be hard pressed to find some French Canadian Martins.

My mother in law's maiden name is an original Metis name (Vermette).

Yes this old world has gotten smaller since this internet thing came along. Keep posting.

If there're a Turenne, there're related!!!! To the best our knowledge there is only one family of Turennes.

this is very cool \:D

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
gator, I don't know anyone in our family or our extended relatives who pronounces it marTAN anymore, but my grandpa said his father used to.

I think Martin is the French-Canadian equivalent of the British Smith for commonness. There are tons of Smiths, but how many pronounce it Smythe like they used to in England?

And, of course, there were some in my family who hated to be reminded that they were French-CANADIAN. Much more stylish and hoity toity to be from France, never mind the multi-generational pause in Canada. But I never cared about such things. We are what we are.

I always thought it was more rugged and manly sounding to say French-canadian than frenchman. French fathers, indian mothers. I still have a few relations on the rez(Fond Du lac). Gives me my ruggedness, my machismo. LOL!!

Well, some of the folks who are descended from people who left the old country to settle in the "colonies" don't like to feel particularly colonial. Colonials were looked down upon by those high society types in the old country, as I'm sure you know. grin.gif

I've never cared about that garbage. Like you, junkie, I enjoy that aspect of my heritage. Once I learned about it, I was able to say "Ah, now I understand" about a few things that had puzzled me about my own family.

- everything is a competion, grin.gif

its all about : having fun, ohh yea ... and WINNING \:o

seriously though - this tread has been alot of fun, its been great just chatting with people. Lets keep it going, theres always more learn and more dirt to dig up \:o

OMG!! I've been at class for a few hours now and BOOM-FRENCH CANADIANS have settled their colonial keisters in the ladies forum!! j/k grin.gif That's cool. Oh and Steve Foss trying to make us read one of his manuscripts! I say publish 'er Steve! That's one fine edited bio! heehee grin.gif

A very warm welcome goes out to Paul (outdoor1)-sorry you're MN dreamin' but you sure know how to vacation (and retire when that time comes) when you get here! That is quite a roster of lakes of you belt man. Fun!

tacklejunkie-I too love tackle but my husband hinders me from buying too much since he has everything (he does share). But can a person really ever have too many pink demons? or shiny forage minnows? maybe just a couple more Chubby Darters? I know you feel my pain.... eek.gif

Hey, Lisa, you didn't give me a length limit. What's a writer to do without a length limit?

You could call it the Women Anglers and Outdoor Women slot. All posts from 100 to 300 words must be immediately released to the trash bin, with only a single post over 300 words kept per week. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif