• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I keep my boat in a divorce?

TTfromBlaine

Question

23 answers to this question

Been there done that. The best advice I can give you is to give her something of equal value. If that doesn't work pretend you want something near and dear to her and then negotiate. Good luck.

i sank mine told her it was sold gave her 1 of my duck boats all said and done she had no clue i owned 3 duck boats and 2 fishing boats i could have gave her the worst one got it back the next fall to go out with my daughter hunting never gave it back im so sly

Sooner or later there is going to be a line drawn somewhere down the middle of the joint assets. How jagged that line is depends on how much of each party believes the deal is fair. Equal value is the best way to go. Start playing games, like short selling or hiding property, is a good way to guarantee that she gets the gold mine and you get the you know what.

I would do that and have tried even with the help laywers and mediators but she keeps changing her mind blush.gif shes already got the house and the business I built to supposedly help me out in my later years, my take on what the judge has said is she will probably get the business, the house untill its sold which could be years and he can take any toys and sell them on HSOList to pay the debts, my attorney has pretty much drained me with no real perfomance on his part plus we have a daughter together that wants to live with me but that doesent seem realistic according to the attorney and the anoka county courts. sorry to vent but just didnt know where to turn for alittle advice. If a guy cant trust a fisherman who can ya trust grin.gif

Sorry to hear of your situation Tom. Based on what I've seen with friends it's gonna suck no matter what. If her lawyer is better than your's it's worse. I hope things start to turn in your direction soon.

Take Care bud.

TT there is no way to really answer that question without knowing your entire financial situation, the length of your marriage, the relative contributions of the parties to the marriage and earning capabilities of the parties, etc. Divorce is not so clear cut as 50/50 here but in the end, barring things being out of the ordinary you are going to have to split things up somewhat equally (technically we have what's called an equittable split, not an equal split but often they aren't much different).

Bottom line, get yourself a good attorney and expect to have a horrible financial outlook after a divorce as compared to before. They are not cheap and not fun, but that's just the way it goes.

TT,

I feel your pain...Been there...done that...

LAWYER UP, is all I can say!!!!

He ll with the boat! Make sure you settle on the "BIGGER" things like the house.

When I went through "IT"... I said, "TAKE IT, I DON"T CARE". I was off of the "Title, through the court. OOPS..., But not off of the Mortgage"!!

She didn't pay, house got foreclosed on.."DING DING, my credit got SCREWED"!!!

I have seen your posts in the last year (no sign of trouble), were you blind sided?

I wish you well...

river-rat4

Yea, the Anoka County courts. It's a great place to get divorced...if you're a woman. I friend of mine went through this a few years ago. The goofy thing is they had things worked out between them legally. The judge didn't care and forced them to get an attorney. The judge then awarded his ex the house, the kids, the furniture, the kitchen sink...ect even though they had worked out an equitable split of assets and the divorce was her idea (she cheated on him). My friend now lives with his parents for 1/2 the year and the other 1/2 takes care of a house for friends. The only thing he can really afford is his truck. She now lives in a 3/4 of a million dollar house with her boyfriend while she rents out the house she got in the divorce and drives around in a Mercedes. What's great though is my friend isn't bitter. He's just doing what he needs to do for his kids. The only thing a guy gets from a divorce in Anoka County is poor. I'd sell everything you could as fast as you can. I'd also take any client list you have for your business and start another one to compete directly with the other. Good luck TT.

A friend of mine went through an ugly and expensive divorce about 10 years ago. She got nearly everything of any value. When it was all over, the only thing I ever heard him say about it was "the reason divorces cost so much is because they're WORTH IT!"

You can try selling your boat to a friend and buying it back, but if her lawyer is any good they'll find it.

I'm not positive here but I think if any actual legal seperation or divorce documents have been served, selling the boat is too late.

Not knowing the worth of the boat if "owned" and her actual participation in boating activities in your marriage, I would just try like he!! to show her as unreasonable, difficult, and greedy. If you and the daughter use it as a activity and recreational vehicle, the ex wanting to cash it out in spite or right to equal ownership will not look good.

Offer up a "joint" physical ownership/use contract with her.

That will show her true colors in a hurry. I'm sure the attorney is coaching her to get the $$ value out of the boat. If that don't work try offering up a contract to buy out her half in time.

If your daughter is serious on living with you, start a custody motion through your local social services, and YOU initiate the custody study before she does. If you have been a equal primary/custodial parent to your daughter its not a big hill to climb. Your daughter is of age to clearly represent her own behalf in a custody study. Believe me if you have not brought forth your daughters desires to the wife yet, she will not be worrying about a boat.Racking up ridiculous attorney bills doesn't go over very well in the courts eyes as well when children are involved. (been there myself)

Good Luck

Some bad news for you, Anoka and Washington counties are the worst for divorces, because the ex wife usually gets everything. And the man gets nothing. Go look at the public records, and you will see the proof. Man, hearing all these horrible divorces cases I think I will never get married. Good luck with your case.

seams to me if you had a sales reciept dated prior the the date of the devorce papers, what can they do? sell for 1.00 and split the money! hell sell every thing for 10.00 dollars and split it!!!

Quote:

Might be to late but i know of a darn good divorce attorny that has done areal good job for some of my friends. Email me for the info if you want.

Best advice you've gotten in SEVERAL posts...

The schemes won't work and will just make you look bad to the judge who may well have to decide what's "equittable" in the end...