• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes of 2007

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few from this year's Rainy River trip. Gotta love those fatties!

[image]TOM29.jpg[/image] [image]JR292.jpg[/image] [image]JR29.jpg[/image] [image]TOMS30-1.jpg[/image] [image]TOMS30.jpg[/image] [image]JR30.jpg[/image]

Quote:

Here's a few from this year's Rainy River trip. Gotta love those fatties!

[image]
TOM29.jpg
[/image] [image]
JR292.jpg
[/image] [image]
JR29.jpg
[/image] [image]
TOMS30-1.jpg
[/image] [image]
TOMS30.jpg
[/image] [image]
JR30.jpg
[/image]

All I can say is, "wow!!" What did you use for bait? I usually go in the fall but it looks like next year I will also be making a spring trip

This fish was a total accident on Saturday evening. Fishing flathead cats on the Minnesota River, she decided my 7" bullhead on a 10/0 Gamakatsu hook looked very appetizing. smile.gif Its worth noting this is my 3rd trophy eye (in 2 years) I've caught cattin' while fishing bullheads. Mmmmm... bullheads. smile.gif

27" Minnesota River Walleye (quickly photo'd and released)

050607hanson27inchwalleer3.jpg

Here are two from the opener on LOTW

DSC00085full.jpg

28.5" Fish on a trolled #7 shad rap

DSC00088full.jpg

a 29.75" fish also on a trolled shad rap.

Hopefully I haven't used up all my luck on the first trip of the year.

later,

toddb

i dont see anything wrong with they way you hadled that eye. atleast you didnt get to close to the gills. maybe you should pay $400 for a "guide" to teach you how to hold a fish..lmao. why is it team otter i always see you making snide little remarks? one thing to have an opinion but keep the attack remarks to yourself. see that little thing i wrote about "guides" thats to prove my point. tell the guy nice fish and good job. end of story.

I think the vertical hold would be way worse for the fish as they have very little organ support and when they aren't horizontal their organs slide at the mercy of gravity. Secondly a vertical hold puts your hand close to the gills. A little torque on the gill plate won't hurt the fish, and it ensures your hand will be farther away from the fragile gill.

just my.02 cents

Dan

My flared gill hold wasn't intentional, It just happened to be that way when I pulled her out of the net. To tell you the truth I was more worried about getting a couple quick pics and getting her back in the water. I didn't even notice that I had the fish reversed until I viewed the pics later.

later,

toddb

How do you get the hooks out? Let the fish flop around on the floor of the boat, lay down and operate? If caution is used while holding the fish vertical the fish should be fine. Just don't wrench on the gill plates exposing the gills. Pinch your fingers in the cheek between the plates (on the fleschy skin) and you shouldn't harm the fish.

Relax everybody, we don't want to harm these fish and truely believe in handling these fish with care. smile.gif

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold