• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Horror Movie?

bae501

Whoa...way too many good ones.

I too suppose it is more suspense, but the original Halloween is right up there with the best of them for me.

And what is that one where the cops call and say "get out of the house. the calls are coming from inside the house" (Black Christmas I think). That was a scary one.

And yes, Exorcist, is up there. And I kind of liked Damian/The Omen and the original Poltergeist gets another vote from me.

Now for worst:what the heck was that recent one where the kids use a video camera and look for those spooks in the forest? something-Witch-something? Oh yeah, Blair Witch Project. Stunk to high heaven.

I remember seeing "The Fog" back when I was a kid and thinking that was scarry 20+ years ago. "Nightmare on Elm Street" gave me nightmares after I saw it too. The "Halloween" series of movies make me laugh now. Did anybody see "Saw 3" yet? I really like the first two.

Ah, the horror movies. I don't get scared anymore but back then...horror incorporated, creature feature, night gallery...that was all we needed to keep our feet off the floor beside the bed. Movies like Dr. Phibes, Barron Blood, Count Yorga...all the vampires, werewolves, and monsters we could handle. I remember vividly spending the night at my grandparent's farm and sleeping in the northwest room upstairs with a couple buddies. We had to make sure the door to the north storage room was tightly bolted so (it) couldn't come out. Now imagine three little boys in one large bed...the black and white TV in the far corner of the room. Someone had to go turn it off after the movie...I think it was about a mile from that TV back to the bed after the light went out.

Later on I remember when JAWS came out. I was in 8th grade and now I'm 45 years old. We kept a watchful eye out as we walked home from the theater. I would have sworn a shark could have come out of an alley and eatin one of us right there in downtown Willmar, Minnesota!

Then Alien. Alien was smash hit with me. I was scared of that thing but would have gladly defended Sigourny Weaver from it had I had the chance. Alien Two was even good but really went down hill after that. Now days its hard to find a good scary movie. I don't like the "psycho with a knife" movies. Just gimme a good creature or entity to give me a little chill up the spine. I really enjoyed the Underworld movies one and two....we've come a long way with those special effects!

Happy Halloween!

Yep, Alien is top 5 for sure.

About the Blair Witch movie.....I liked it. Anyone who's ever camped in the middle of nowhere. The kind of spot that nobody is going to be able to help. Has had that chill at one time or another. That is if they were sober. grin.gif

Quote:

I don't like the "psycho with a knife" movies. Just gimme a good creature or entity to give me a little chill up the spine.

I second that! I've always preferred "creature features" to the slasher films. JAWS, JAWS 2, Aliens, and Tremors are all at the the top of my list. I also liked the first Final Destination and the first Jeepers Creepers.

Hard for me to pick which one is the best, but If I was forced to choose, I'd go with JAWS for my own reasons. High body counts, gratuitous violence, gore, or extremely graphic kill/death scenes do not necessarily make a good horror film. Too much blood and guts cheapen the thrill, IMO.

I still love the old '40s-'50s suspense horror films. The stuff Rodger Corman used to make.

Now that Halloween is over and deer hunting is upon us, how about "Deliverance"? Truly a scary movie!

I saw Showgirls on TBS the other night; truly a horrific performance from our favorite Saved by the Bell alumni Elizabeth Berkely. I screamed for an hour straight (when I couldn't find the remote)

JAWS scared the bejeezes out of me. I was ten when it came out, attended summer day camp in AZ and swam in the pool every day. I didn't venture into the deep end for months, 'cause if a shark is going to come from anywhere, it was up thru the drain in the deep end. cool.gif