• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Books

Deitz Dittrich

"S.O.G." The Secret Wars by Americas Commandos in Vietnam. by John Plaster.

This book really, really impacted me, because the copy I read belongs to my boss, who was the one-zero of Iowa company in 67 or 68. Talk about looking at your boss in a different light..

Rod

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nodak - LMAO!

There is no accounting for taste sometimes...LOL.

Sometimes the the things that came out of Beavis and Butthead's mouths were right on the mark - much like Homer Simpson and Peter Griffen.

I still chuckle at your question to the guys from the gas company when they showed up at work to check for a leak. "Are you the guys from Strickland Propane?" grin.gif

I'll be honest, unless it was for school or something for work I wont read it, however I am really into the local murder myster stories. So far the only book that I have read is Saint Mudd by Steve Thayer I believe. I actualy read it twice smile.gif It talks about the gangster that came to St. Paul, and some of the corruption and other things that has happend around town. I personaly thouht it was a good read. Imma have to try some of the books that were recommended on here about the murder myster in Minnesota/Cheeseland.

BTW Thanks FM for also adding the entertainment section, just another thing that makes us have more fun.

Shawnny B

If you're into MN gangsters, find a book called "John Dillinger slept here". It's a history of mobsters in the twin cities. There are maps of buildings where the gangsters stayed, so you can drive around St.aul and see where they are. They liked White Bear Lake too. Dillinger, the Barker gang, and crimes like the Hamm kidnapping are all in there.

Deitz----

Man O Man, with all these murder myster/Ganster books about Minnesota, Im going to have to take up Dead Sticking, or get the Tip ups outs this fall and winter!!! grin.gif I'll have to run up the street tonight to the Libary and see if they have any of these in. Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Shawnny B

Basscatcher, Don't give up on Moby Dick!!! I had to read it in h.s. and was impressed, but I hear ya'; it is SLLLOOOOOOWWW. But try reading "The Odyssey" and "The Iliad" by Homer; they make Moby Dick look like a comic book!

Koonie, I thought I was the only guy who stuck with the Dark Tower series; finally finished it about a year ago. It's pretty amazing how he pulled characters and concepts from his other books in to the series, and I'm looking to pick up his old related books on the cheap. The end was kind of a let down, though. He did have some good points in his synopsis, though. Kinda "it's not the destination but the drive." I also read the long version of The Stand and The Green Mile; both very good.

Angels and Demons was definitely Brown's best book, but not real challenging.

Looking to get into the classics that weren't really stressed in h.s., but if you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird, put it on your list. Also, don't forget about Mark Twain; fun little reads from the past.

Oh yeah; ANYTHING by Bill Watterson. Not writing anymore but his old collections are instant classics grin.gif.

For anyone that enjoyed Angels and Demons I recomend Brimstone by Preston Douglas.

For those of you who are interested in Mark Twain I recomend "Life on the Mississippi" and "Letters from Earth". Be warned "letters from Earth" is not your usual Mark Twain.

I can't beleiev we actually have book movie and music forums. My productivity is going to plummet. I suggested this about a year a go and I'm glad to see it finally happned, thanks Rick and staff.

Try Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. True story about hard core wreck divers who find an unaccounted for U-Boat off the coast of new jersey, that not even the Germans know about. Takes them years to figure out which boat it is. The end up going over to Genrmany in the end and visiting the families.

Perfect Storm is great too, I finally read it last year after seeing the movie however long ago.

Winterdance by Gary Paulson, running the Iditarod.

Krakauer's latest, Under the Banner of Heaven, about extreme Mormonism out west.

The list goes on. Just don't make me plow through David Copperfield or Brothers Karamozov again in my lifetime.

Just finished "Guests of the Ayatollah: The First Battle in America's War with Militant Islam" by Mark Bowden.

Good read about the Iran Hostage crisis, our foreign policy at that time, and it gives you a different perspective on where we are today.

Tim

Where does one find the time? It seemed like before I became self employed, I always had time to read?

I've read some good ones to! Michners Chesepeake, Hawaii, Centennial and I believe a couple more of his....I've read Puzo's books, A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, The Betsy, Super Nature, A Stone for Danny Fisher, and a hundred more.

Lately, with time constraints, I have not been able to read anything lengthy, just short story collections, magazine articles, and the newspaper. I've been working on, among other things, Legends Of The West and Our Glorious Century.

I can squeeze in small things, like Dave Genz Blue Gills, or something easy, but when it comes to heavy tomes, these days I find myself reading the big Northern Hydralics catalog, or the Hudsons Street Atlas! frown.gif

I know exactly what you are talking about! I may have read

the same book...'The Night The Bear Ate Goomba' had me dying!

Prairie Dog guns with railrod tie stocks and sewer pipe sized barrels, Bobcats in the cabin, monsters in the wooods...I've probably laughed harder at McManus' humor then any other writer.

If you any of you guys like baseball, I highly recommend "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis. Lewis spends time with the Oakland A's during the 2002 season to try and figure out how they consistently win, year-in and year-out, with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. The book focuses primarily on the General Manager Billy Beane and his assistant Paul DePodesta and how they evaluate baseball talent different than just anybody else in the game. It's a very quick and extremely interesting read. It really makes you look at baseball statistics in a whole different light.

Been a while since anyone added a book here, so....

Earlier this fall I re-read Burton Spiller's Drummer In The Woods. Great read for anyone who loves to chase ruffies. He's a bit full of himself at times, but still good stuff.

Over lunch break I just finished reading Gene Hill's A Hunter's Fireside Book. My wife surprised me with the book a few weeks ago, and it instantly became a classic in my collection. Gene Hill is a master at drawing images in your mind and speaking to the small, intricate details that make outings so special as well as 'big picture' things that we all need to consider. I'd highly recommend it for any outdoorsman, but especially those who love dogs and hunting birds. It would make a great gift for others, or one to be added to your wish list.

Cheers!

Anything by John Geirach is a must read. I just got done reading Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders for like the 5th time! His writing is informative (at times) interesting and funny. I just don't think I've read anyone who has better one liners and anecdotes then mr. geirach.

P.S. You don't have to be a flyfisherman to enjoy his writing.

Puddleduck bought me Waiting for White Horses for Christmas - Takes place around Walker, MN - very good book - I also like Endurance - Shackelton's Great Adventure

Lots of good suggestions here I picked about 3 of them out and ordered them to read in the icehouse this winter!

Couple of my favorite authors (in no particular order):

-John Sandford (as was already mentioned, the local scene makes these books even better)

-James Patterson (his short chapters are perfect for the tree stand)

-Clive Cussler (sometimes a bit unbelieveable, but still very good)

-Jeffrey Deaver (awesome plot twists at the end...Bone Collector was turned into a movie with Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie)

-Lee Child (ex-military vigilante main character)

-Michael Crichton (his newer books have been great)

-David Morrell (I read his newest, Creepers, in a day. It moved that fast and grabbed me that much)

A few books I've read that I think are really great:

1) Anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick- I particularly like Death in the Long Grass. It's not nearly as morbid or goth as it might sound- it's about safari hunting. He has three in his "Death Series"- ...in the Long Grass, ...in Dark Places, ...on the Dark Continent- all very good. He's also edited several books that are worthwhile reads.

2) The Tracker- can't remember the author's name.

3) Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowatt (can't remember if that's how you spell his name).

4) Any of Tolkin's Hobbit or Lord of the Rings series.

5) And if you're into deep thinkun, try Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- it's a tough read, but I'm glad I read it-- this one would be for those inclined to philosophical issues.

6) Why People Believe Weird Things- Michael Shermer--- scientific slant.

7) Any of Kuhn's work on paradigms and paradigm shifts

#'s 6-7 are mostly for scientific nerd types (yes, I occasionally wear a pocket protector), but #6 would have pretty wide appeal to most.

Those are some of my favorite reads.